Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

WK2 Rock Rail Install Pics.

41K views 70 replies 35 participants last post by  scarps 
#1 ·
Heres a couple of pics of my install of the factory Mopar rock rails for the WK2. Thought I would start tonight while I had a couple of free hours. First all the hardware is accounted for! :thumbsup:
Second the instructions said to dry run each nut on its bolt. I found this is for good reason due to the coating. Very tight! You'll run in to trouble later if you don't!
Next removing the rockers are a bit tricky as I found. They recommend a hook style tool. I had none and ended up ripping a couple clips apart.[ IMG]http://i494.photobucket.com/albums/rr308/dvdsjk/IMG_20110204_222830.jpg[/IMG] Now you have to bend and manipulate the rear bracket up and out of the way to use later. First pic I hit a little too hard . Second pic is the way its supposed to be. I reccommend havig some touch up paint handy due to paint coming off during this process. not to mention an accidental scratch or two!
Last for tonight start inserting bolts in existing holes on the body . Some must be cleared of foam insulation. Then with the supplied hex head tool they give you, A bolt is installed in the rubber plug holes on the bottom of the rocker to the rocker side holes. this is done by bending tool 90 degrees and locking in place with a speed nut. Tommorrow I will dry fit and mount the drivers side.

See less See more
#7 ·
Ok,day 2 starts out bad, closet full of cancer causing chemicals but my Locktite is nowhere to be found. Run to NAPA.
Now have all the bolts in place and time to lift. Careful, the directions say put a rag on your jack so you don't scratch it! Ha!
Start bolting up from front to back.
And of couse problems. The bolt system I feel needs to be looked at. Bolts are short and not an exact fit. Ended up causing a major F up. Will address this later but for now on to pass side.

#9 ·
Thanks guys for the positive comments! Pass side now on. No problems on this side! I really under estimated this one though! I should have arranged for my buddy to give me a hand. Would have gone a lot smoother and quicker. Looks good though, and all I have is some finish work tommorrow such as cutting up the old plastic rockers to use as ends for the rails. No they don't include ends! Also fixing the nut on the drivers side that I screwed up. Tommorrow I'll get some outside picks hopefully posted.Heres a couple of pass side.

#13 ·
Nice write-up! + rep!
So how long do you think this job will take the average owner?
I dabbled with it because I knew I was in no hurry and I was in my own garage. But I think it took me about 8hrs by myself. But thats with time spent on that 1 bad bolt that stripped on me. I struggled at first tryng to take the plastic rockers of carefully, but you have to cut them up to use for end caps anyway. The pass side I just yanked off. Then the rocker stiffeners took a few mins because its all underneath the Jeep on the damn cold floor!

#15 ·
They look great! You have much more patience than I ever could. Good job and thanks for sharing the pics along the way.

#17 ·
Thanks for the nice writeup.

Question for you:
My wife is pretty short & has trouble getting into the WK2 sometimes.
I can't STAND the soccer mom look of the Mopar step bars.
Is there enough surface on these to serve as a step bar for everyday use, or is the diameter of the rail too narrow?

#22 ·
Thanks for the nice writeup.

Question for you:
My wife is pretty short & has trouble getting into the WK2 sometimes.
I can't STAND the soccer mom look of the Mopar step bars.
Is there enough surface on these to serve as a step bar for everyday use, or is the diameter of the rail too narrow?
No my wife uses them. And actuall a couple of companies make bolt on surface steps that can be used on these. They are a decent diameter!

#18 · (Edited)
Great Job! They really look good and solid!!!

Is it possible to re-use your front mud-flaps? Will they work in conjunction with the Rock Rails? I'm assuming that you had them on the front as you currently have them on the rear. I understand they may not work well off road or may not even look good with the Rock Rails but I like the protection they give on gravel roads. I have a set of Rock Rails on the way and I currently have front molded mud flaps on the front is why I ask.

Also, the plastic rocker panels are they reinstalled? Or is it just the ends that you cut off and reinstall?

If I have trouble installing mine in a few weeks….I will probably PM you...OK?

#21 ·
Great Job! They really look good and solid!!!

Is it possible to re-use your front mud-flaps? Will they work in conjunction with the Rock Rails? I'm assuming that you had them on the front as you currently have them on the rear. I understand they may not work well off road or may not even look good with the Rock Rails but I like the protection they give on gravel roads. I have a set of Rock Rails on the way and I currently have front molded mud flaps on the front is why I ask.

Also, the plastic rocker panels are they reinstalled? Or is it just the ends that you cut off and reinstall?

If I have trouble installing mine in a few weeks….I will probably PM you...OK?
Mud flaps cannot be used on these, and I bought the flaps for the same reason. stone chips galore. But these rails keep more stuff then the flaps from hitting .We had ice last night and this morning the aggregate was all over the road. there honestly was no face cringing pinging of the stones. they sit out farther than the original rockers, which by the way you never use again! Just the ends are used. And when your doing the install, ask away! I'll try to give you any answers I can. I will also post some tips once I get them together.

#25 ·
So when the instructions talk about removing the old panels with the J-hook to pull up on those attachment clips, you're saying you can just break those clips as they won't be reused right?

#27 ·
I installed my Rock Rails today and it took me 8 hours also. I was by myself and installed one side took an hour break and then the other side. I started with the driver side and should have started with the passenger side as that is how the directions show the pics from and the front of the vehicle etc.

There are many little things that you learn along the way that make things go faster when you get to the other side. When I removed the plastic rocker panels I used a stiff putty-knife and hammer. I slid the putty-knife behind the panel and then found the clips and then hit the putty-knife with the hammer. It takes them off really fast. Another tip is when you remove the foam from the frame tube use a shop-vac to suck the foam out after losing it with a screw driver…it comes out much faster. Another is when you put the push nuts on the bolts after installing them through the frame ensure that you push them all the way on otherwise it will be a PITA later when you get the Rock Rail up with the jack as the bolts will be too short. On the driver side I must have tightened and loosened those nuts about 1,000 times...but I finally got it.

They look really good and they are solid. They are up in the air a little higher than the plastic rocker panels are because when I held my mud flaps so the holes lined up there was about 1 and half inches of clearance where the molded portion went on the bottom of the rails. They can’t be used over as they are molded differently than the original rockers.

#29 ·
Shop Vac!! Why didnt I think of that? Good idea!

LOL…...yeah...it worked well...I will tell you if I were installing another set I would have my buddy give me a hand...and it would be much smoother....that’s a heck of an experience that can't be explained unless you have gone through it......:lol::D:D:D

#33 ·
The mudflaps do that good of a job at keeping the water from hitting the car when installed on the front? I might have to get a pair then, with all this melting snow my car gets dirty 2 mins after washing.

#34 · (Edited)
Your local hardware store probably has black cap covers that will fit those bolt heads and make them much more inconspicuous. Should snap right on. Your work looks great - and functional.

Also, a bit of step grip tape (as would be applied on stairs) at the same store would prevent slipping off the rail if you or yours are going to be using as a step. Cut a small section (maybe a nice thin oblong oval instead of a rectangular shape), remove backing, and apply to clean surface.

#35 ·
Your local hardware store probably has black cap covers that will fit those bolt heads and make them much more inconspicuous. Should snap right on. Your work looks great - and functional.

Also, a bit of step grip tape (as would be applied on stairs) at the same store would prevent slipping off the rail if you or yours are going to be using as a step. Cut a small section (maybe a nice thin oblong oval instead of a rectangular shape), remove backing, and apply to clean surface.
Good idea with the cap covers for the bolts, I'll have to check. I like the idea of the grip tape too.

I think I may also go to cheap non-molded mud flap for the front.

Thanks for all of the Good ideas...thats what this forum is all about sharing your ideas.:thumbsup:

#36 ·
The Rock Rails are on the Grand 3 months now and the fit and finish is still great! Now that its nice out and I finally had a day to check it out after handing it over to my wife, (yes I have been neglecting it since I started the Wrangler build) I thought I would make sure everything was tight and only found one or two bolts to re-tighten! Threw some paint sealant on the rails and they look like new! I recommend these, even against the rugged terrain of the parking lots where the wife wheels! She saw a shopping cart against the Grand the other day and gasped! but thanks to the rails, nothing! :)

#38 ·
During the install I was getting frustrated on this one bolt that would not seat into the rail while using the jack, so I kept pumping. before I knew it the back wheel was almost off the ground. It,s very surdy. I'll try it tommorrow but i would trust it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.