Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Front license plate bracket (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/front-license-plate-bracket-18445.html)

mcamisgroup 02-05-2011 12:14 PM

Front license plate bracket

This hasn't been discussed in a while, so I thought I would ask again. When I picked up my 2011 Overland last Saturday, the dealer had screwed my license plates directly into the bumper, flush with the paint and no bracket to support it or keep it away from the paint. When I show the Overland everyone gushes, but then all comment on the plate just being screwed into the bumper.

My dealer says that the parts department has nothing available at this time to fix the situation. What are the rest of you doing, or have your dealers come up with a solution?

dckcentuar 02-05-2011 12:20 PM

Re: Front license plate bracket

I just got a plain small frame and put plate and that to bumper I think It looks ok but my build sheet say front License plate bracket but I never got one

HEEP-IN 19 02-05-2011 12:35 PM

every 2011 jeep ive seen has had a plate bracket. maybe bc im in ny and the great state makes you have a front plate. i always usually take mine off

robpp 02-05-2011 01:37 PM

1. get a pic here from anyone with the oem bracket installed.
2, demand the dealer fix the issue

the reason is that over time the holes in the bumper which is way TOO thin anyway are going to wear out. if there was a frame mounted ONE TIME PROPERLZY to the bumper all is good and then yopu mount plates ON and OFF the bracket. bracket wears out its 20 bux. bumper wears out is 500+

lyndelw 02-05-2011 01:55 PM

I noticed that the new Durango has a front lic mount. Checked it out,the area where it mounts looks the same as the JGC.

dckcentuar 02-05-2011 03:50 PM

Im in California it is mandatory

mjw930 02-05-2011 05:43 PM

There's no front license plate bracket thet either comes with or is available from Jeep for the WK2. If you've seen one with a bracket it's aftermarket.

Any decent parts store should have some universal brackets like this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

dckcentuar 02-05-2011 07:10 PM

I got my build sheet and it says it should have been included hmm

Cherodude 02-05-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dckcentuar (Post 348995)
I got my build sheet and it says it should have been included hmm

It's on the build sheets (Sales Code MDA). It just doesn't exist even for vehicles that have it on their build sheet -- a mystery but that's it.

See the previous threads on this issue.

winchester60 02-06-2011 12:25 AM

Dealer did the same thing with my front plate. However, when I got home, I found they had left a bracket in the back which appeared to be for a durango. Took the front plate off and used the durango bracket which worked fine. Just knowing about those two extra holes in the bumber gets to me though!

scittb 02-06-2011 02:46 AM

Are you guys using self tappers right into the plastic of the bumper for the plates or is there a mount with threads behind the bumper that the bolt is going into?

winchester60 02-06-2011 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scittb (Post 349188)
Are you guys using self tappers right into the plastic of the bumper for the plates or is there a mount with threads behind the bumper that the bolt is going into?

I used self tapping bolts, however, I did position the bracket and drilled pilot holes first.