Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   what to buy for tune up (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/what-to-buy-for-tune-up-18459.html)

black_wj 02-05-2011 05:43 PM

what to buy for tune up

ok well this is what am going to buy for my tune up i already have done the serpentine belt, trans fluid, and installed a k&N filter,and fuel filter last year and since have driven 7k miles ,.

i need to buy sparks plugs engine oil and what else?
also i dont know what brand of spark plugs to buy auto zone has autolite are those good

bumpin_jeep 02-05-2011 05:50 PM

Re: what to buy for tune up

PVC filter is a typical replacement at tuneup time. Also, I know on the WK they say to change the differental fluid every 30k miles, so you might want to look into that. I would also check to see if your valve covers are leaking (not sure how many miles you have on it), if so I would swap those out as well, just make sure to tighten the bolts back down to spec.

black_wj 02-05-2011 06:07 PM

it has 130,000 miles thanks i almost forgot diff fluid

Frango100 02-05-2011 11:15 PM

Donīt know what engine/tranny you have. Did you change the tranny filter(s) as well when you changed the fluid?
Diffs and T-case like to have some fresh fluids as well.
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, because it is hygroscopic and will collect water in it, causing corrosion.
Cooling liquid every 2 years is a good idea as well, because it will loose its corrosion preventive additives over time.
Good idea to clean and lub the brake caliper pins, because most forget about them and they get dry and keep the brake pads dragging, causing more heat and wear.
Lubricate the upper knuckle ball stud at steering & suspension ball joints.
For the plugs, many say to stay with the original Champion ones.

black_wj 02-06-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 349120)
Donīt know what engine/tranny you have. Did you change the tranny filter(s) as well when you changed the fluid?
Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, because it is hygroscopic and will collect water in it, causing corrosion.
Cooling liquid every 2 years is a good idea as well, because it will loose its corrosion preventive additives over time.
Good idea to clean and lub the brake caliper pins, because most forget about them and they get dry and keep the brake pads dragging, causing more heat and wear.

my truck has the inline 6 with 2wd thanks i will do champion series plugs .. as for everything else i baby my truck thank god i love cars lol 2 weeks ago i did a complete brake job turned rotors and pads brand new pins and caliper bushings & for tranny i did the gasket and filter and new fluid i havent drained the cooling and braking system so i will do that and ill lube my joints thanks everyone for ur help reminded me of some important stuff

motorking 02-11-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_wj (Post 348942)
ok well this is what am going to buy for my tune up i already have done the serpentine belt, trans fluid, and installed a k&N filter,and fuel filter last year and since have driven 7k miles ,.

i need to buy sparks plugs engine oil and what else?
also i dont know what brand of spark plugs to buy auto zone has autolite are those good

Hi,
I am the tech manager at Autolite. You should try our iridium alloy fine wire spark plugs, part number is XP985. You can find out all about precious metal spark plugs by watching the videos posted at autolite.com, open the tech info tab and watch the videos on metalurgy and heat ranges. I run them in my wrangler and if your surf the other jeep forums you will find many guys using them and very happy with the performance.

JeepMe 02-11-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 349120)

Quick question on flushing the cooling system on these Jeeps. Does the Jeep automatically "burb" the air out of the system? In my Mustang you fill up the overflow resevour and it automatically removes the air. Is it the same for these Jeeps or do I need to do it manually?

motorking 02-11-2011 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepMe (Post 353098)
Quick question on flushing the cooling system on these Jeeps. Does the Jeep automatically "burb" the air out of the system? In my Mustang you fill up the overflow resevour and it automatically removes the air. Is it the same for these Jeeps or do I need to do it manually?

I also work for prestone, here are the complete drain and fill instructions
DRAINING COOLING SYSTEM

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR.

DO NOT WASTE reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.

DRAINING ENTIRE SYSTEM
Use this procedure if the entire cooling system is to be drained, such as for engine removal.
  1. DO NOT remove radiator cap first. With engine cold, raise vehicle on a hoist and locate radiator draincock.
    • 4.0L 6-cyl. Engine: Radiator draincock is located on the right/lower side of radiator facing to rear of vehicle.
    • 4.7L V-8 Engines: Radiator draincock is located on the left/lower side of radiator facing to rear of vehicle.
  1. Attach one end of a hose to the draincock. Put the other end into a clean container. Open draincock and drain coolant from radiator. This will empty the coolant reserve/overflow tank. The coolant does not have to be removed from the tank unless the system is being refilled with a fresh mixture. When tank is empty, remove radiator cap and continue draining cooling system.
http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...59148/84809097

To drain the 4.0L 6-cylinder engine of coolant, remove the cylinder block drain plug located on the side of cylinder block.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...59148/84809098

To drain the 4.7L V-8 engines of coolant, remove the cylinder block drain plugs located on the sides of cylinder block above the oil pan rail.

PARTIAL DRAINING
Use this procedure if the coolant is to be partially drained, such as for engine thermostat removal.
  1. With engine cold, slowly remove the radiator cap. Raise vehicle on a hoist and locate radiator draincock.
    • 4.0L Engine: Radiator draincock is located on the right/lower side of radiator facing to rear of vehicle.
    • 4.7L Engines: Radiator draincock is located on the left/lower side of radiator facing to rear of vehicle.
  1. Attach one end of a hose to the draincock. Put the other end into a clean container.
  2. Open draincock and drain desired amount of coolant from radiator.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM-4.0L ENGINE
  1. Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drain plug(s) (if removed).
  2. Fill system using a 50/50 mixture of ethylene glycol antifreeze and low mineral content water. Fill radiator to top and install radiator cap. Add sufficient coolant to the reserve/overflow tank to raise level to FULL mark.
  3. With heater control unit in the HEAT position, operate engine with radiator cap in place.
  4. After engine has reached normal operating temperature, shut engine off and allow it to cool. When engine is cooling down, coolant will be drawn into the radiator from the reserve/overflow tank.
  5. Add coolant to reserve/overflow tank as necessary. Only add coolant to the reserve/overflow tank when the engine is cold. Coolant level in a warm engine will be higher due to thermal expansion. To purge the cooling system of all air, this heat up/cool down cycle (adding coolant to cold engine) must be performed three times. Add necessary coolant to raise tank level to the FULL mark after each cool down period.
REFILLING COOLING SYSTEM-4.7L ENGINE
  1. Tighten the radiator draincock and the cylinder block drain plug(s) (if removed).
CAUTION: Failure to purge air from the cooling system can result in an overheating condition and severe engine damage.

http://www.alldatapro.com/alldata/PR...59148/84809099

1. Remove the cooling system bleed plug from the radiator upper hose inlet housing. Fill system using a 50/50 mixture of ethylene-glycol antifreeze and low mineral content water, until coolant begins coming out of the cooling system bleed hole. Install the cooling system bleed plug. Fill radiator to top and install radiator cap. Add sufficient coolant to the reserve/overflow tank to raise level to FULL mark.
  2. With heater control unit in the HEAT position, operate engine with radiator cap in place.
  3. After engine has reached normal operating temperature, shut engine off and allow it to cool. When engine is cooling down, coolant will be drawn into the radiator from the reserve/overflow tank.
  4. Add coolant to reserve/overflow tank as necessary. Only add coolant to the reserve/overflow tank when the engine is cold. Coolant level in a warm engine will be higher due to thermal expansion.

http://www.alldatapro.com/images/blnk_spc.gifGood luck, Motorking :thumbsup:

black_wj 02-12-2011 01:26 AM

thanks motorking ill look into those