Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Seating Question- Comfortable? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/seating-question-comfortable-18482.html)

kaflyboy 02-06-2011 10:44 AM

Seating Question- Comfortable?

So I stopped by the dealership this morning and sat in an Overland (they were closed thank goodness). I'm about 6'1 and like to sit "back" in the drivers seat. While i was sitting in the drivers seat, i noticed my right knee naturally leaning up against the right area while i was just relaxing. Has anyone else noticed this? if so, is it noticable/ annoying over a long period of time?

also, i have a suburban with 246,000 miles on it. It's my hunting truck so i'm pretty hard on it which includes just jumping in and out of the front seat. the left side of the seat where i twist to get in and out has worn out and looks terrible. does anyone think the jeep seats will do the same over a long period of time?

ernstmfg 02-06-2011 11:16 AM

Re: Seating Question- Comfortable?

Yes they will. My expedition with 100k started to look bad, not torn but breaking down, and also stained from my Levi's. I notice the saddle in my jeep starting to pick up a blue stain in less than 1000 miles. I think this is normal for any suv with light leather. But the jeep seats are pretty hard so they may stand up better than my expedition.

STIX 02-06-2011 12:20 PM

I'm 6'2" and at first I had issues getting used to the seats, particularly the bottom portion. The length under the thigh seemed a bit to short for me. However my previous car was very low and it was almost like laying down, so this was night and day.

I have over 4k on my overland and I can say I've gotten used to the seat and I'm finding them to be comfortable now, especially the lumbar support.

Like anything if you're used to the same seat for 7 years it will take some time to acclimate to the change.

Bmwister 02-06-2011 12:53 PM

I've got the Limited, but essentially the seat architecture and support is the same. The seats are firm, Mercedes/Audi firm for example, but that is a good thing for long haul travel because of the exceptional spinal support. The edge bolsters are a high quality vinyl but they are made this way for longevity given that particular area is prone to the most wear and tear. The leather seating surfaces have held up well to jeans, kids shoes, groceries, etc. and shows no sign of material stress; it will last many years IMHO.

Regarding comfort, nothing but a big win here. I have a bad back (discs) from a serious injury many years ago yet, over several hundreds of miles at a time of non-stop travel, I find these seats to be every bit as comfortable as my past luxury sedans. Some people may prefer a more plush cushioned seat. However, for me if a seat is too soft it is more fatiguing because it makes me shift around too much. In comparison to our Expedition with softer seats, the Jeep is much more comfortable on a long haul. YMMV.

kaflyboy 02-06-2011 02:54 PM

Thanks guys.. has anyone had a noticable problem with their right knee leaning up against the left hand side of the center console area?

Cperez 02-06-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 349387)
Thanks guys.. has anyone had a noticable problem with their right knee leaning up against the left hand side of the center console area?

I have not noticed a problem at all with my knee up against the center console area. I've been on a couple of longer hauls but can't recall thinking about it at all. Maybe I will now! FWIW, my experience may be attributable to the Adaptive Cruise Control package in my Overland. With the ACC system engaged, it allows me to freely move my rIght foot and leg around to stretch and shift for comfort.

Addendum: Just checked again now that you got into my head about it. At my normal seating position, my right knee is a good 3-4" above the contact point against the center stack area. My lower leg rests against it but not in a constraining way. FYI

JTS97Z28 02-06-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaflyboy (Post 349387)

I have not taken delivery of my Overland yet but on a few test drives I actually mentioned to my wife that the seat seems real close to the center console area. When I sat back in the seat my right leg/knee was touching the side of the console. It almost looked like the seat could have been placed just a tad more to the left. Lots of space between the seat and the door, but it was jammed real close to the center console. So yes I to have noticed my knee area touching the console. This didnt really bother me as every car takes a little getting used to, but it is something I noticed nonetheless.

James

lweisenb 02-06-2011 04:00 PM

Our navigator with light parchment started doing the same after 4 years/60k miles. There is a product that many dealerships use to prep used cars called SEM Classic Coat. Its a spay leather/vinyl paint and costs about $20/can. Follow the instructions and it should last 2-3 years on lights colors longer on black. It took 3 cans to do the entire navigator, I would guess you could get away with 2 on the Jeep, but would probably get three anyway.

It works really well on touch ups too because it blends extremely well.

granto3k 02-06-2011 04:24 PM

The first few weeks I had my WK2 I had trouble finding a comfortable seating position. I am 6'0" and the problem seemed to be that when I put the seat back far enough for my legs to not feel cramped the steering wheel was then too far away for my arms to reach comfortably. To correct this I put the back of the seat more upright than I normally would sit and I dropped the steering wheel down a little. The downside to this is that the steering wheel now blocks the view of the top section of the gauges. I am used to it now though and it doesnt really bother me. I had 2 WK's before this and never had any problems getting comfortable.

kaflyboy 02-06-2011 05:03 PM

Great, thanks alot... looking forward to getting mine in a few weeks/ months... getting excited.

JTS97Z28 02-06-2011 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by granto3k (Post 349449)
The first few weeks I had my WK2 I had trouble finding a comfortable seating position. I am 6'0" and the problem seemed to be that when I put the seat back far enough for my legs to not feel cramped the steering wheel was then too far away for my arms to reach comfortably. To correct this I put the back of the seat more upright than I normally would sit and I dropped the steering wheel down a little. The downside to this is that the steering wheel now blocks the view of the top section of the gauges. I am used to it now though and it doesnt really bother me. I had 2 WK's before this and never had any problems getting comfortable.

Well I know the Overland has power adjustable/telescopic steering wheel, so I assume you have a base limited or laredo? I would have thought that even those would have atleast manual telescopic steering column. I guess not.
Just another thing I like about the Overlands is the power telescoping steering column with memory and easy exit/entry feature.

James

BHHJEEP 02-06-2011 08:34 PM

I have found if you have the quadra lift and you put it in the "park" setting it is a lot easier to get out and you put way less pressure on the edge of the seat. I am also 6'1 and it is a noticeable difference. Also if you put your foot as far toward the center console when you get in you will land much more centered on the seat.