Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Clicking Sound When Turning Right (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/clicking-sound-when-turning-right-18501.html)

JEden8 02-06-2011 05:37 PM

Clicking Sound When Turning Right

So when I am turning right and have the wheel cranked all the way, I get this clicking sound. Any ideas what could cause this?

2005JGC 02-07-2011 07:57 PM

Re: Clicking Sound When Turning Right

Need more info to help bud...

We dont even know what kind of WK/WH? you have, Where is the sound coming from?

if its speed related I want to say I have seen the tires rub the wheel speed sensor wire. simply routing it behind the brake line seemed to do the trick. if thats the case, you can tell if there is a clean spot on the line indicating rubbing.

White Chocolate 02-07-2011 08:12 PM

Steering wheel clicking? or something else?

If its your steering wheel its the clock spring

2005JGC 02-07-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 350445)
Steering wheel clicking? or something else?

If its your steering wheel its the clock spring

yes, if its from the steering wheel its the clock spring... but there is a tsb where you replace the cancelor arm assembly to attempt to cure the issue... mine did it real bad when I first got it, after the 1 dollar tsb part its still there very faint and not all the time but better enough that i wouldnt consider paying 600 bucks for a new clockspring assembly ;)

Edit: thinking about it, it may have been a star case, not a tsb... if the part number is needed Ill look it up for ya... but until then more infor is needed ;)

Dusan 02-08-2011 03:14 PM

If it's coming from the wheels it could be the CV joint

JEden8 02-09-2011 10:17 AM

I have a 2007 WK 4.7. It comes from the front and appears to be on the passenger side. But it only makes this noise when I'm turning all the way to the right. I haven't turned at a high rate of speed and only have noticed it in parking lots.

DJ BoNiOmArIo 02-09-2011 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEden8 (Post 349501)
So when I am turning right and have the wheel cranked all the way, I get this clicking sound. Any ideas what could cause this?

Mine started with the right eventually it was both, it's your steering rack pinion.

New $250 used $125 from car-part.com

2005JGC 02-09-2011 12:28 PM

Again, pull the wheel off and inspect for rubbing on anything... there can be something (wheels speed sensor wiring) rubbing at lock.

I would tend to lean away from a cv joint because, a cv joint would click turning either direction or accelerating or braking too.

With the rack, if it was while it was turing I could see it, but I if its while its sitting there in a turned position I would also lean away from, NOT that this isnt the problem, Im not all knowing.

JEden8 02-10-2011 05:31 PM

Alright I'll take a look at this this weekend. I'll let ya know what I find. Thanks for the help!

99formulam6 01-17-2012 01:38 PM

anything ever come of this?

MattyDipps 01-20-2012 11:56 PM

if i had to guess... sway bar bushing .. happened to me

99formulam6 01-26-2012 03:40 PM

Nah, it's not that, this almost sounds like a cv issue, but it is weird that it only does it with the wheel at full lock while turning right, and not at full lock while turning left.