Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   WJ Rear window problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/wj-rear-window-problem-18514.html)

dhryan44 02-06-2011 10:34 PM

WJ Rear window problem

whats up all..so i'm having some problems with my rear window..the window will open just fine but if i don't hold the window up its slams shut..i figure its the hydraulic ram thing haha..anyone have this problem in the past..and know how to fix it..need some help plz

dhryan44 02-06-2011 10:36 PM

Re: WJ Rear window problem

oh btw its an 2004 WJ

Divo Kinevil 02-06-2011 10:43 PM

i did on my 02. i replaced the 2 struts and now its fine.

dhryan44 02-06-2011 10:48 PM

did it do it just when it was cold or all the time..i got my jeep about 6 months and when i got it, it worked great and the temp dropped to -12 and lately its having this problem

dhryan44 02-06-2011 10:50 PM

and if i do replace is it hard to do..like can i do it in my driveway?

Divo Kinevil 02-06-2011 11:05 PM

no its not hard at all and fairly cheap too. you will need a torx bit though. i bought mine from autozone when i bought the struts. it was a set of 5. it should only take you about 20 minutes to do both. thats how it was for me atleast. and yes to answer your question, it did do it all the time. thinking back it did start to happen last winter and carried into the summer at which point i couldn't take it anymore.

JeepMe 02-07-2011 08:04 AM

It happens to most people and it happens more when it gets cold. When it gets warmer, they may start to work again. Regardless, they're on their last leg and will stop working, even when it's warm.

SUPER easy job, 20 minutes max. It helps to have someone else so they can hold the glass up. But it's not necessary.

You might also check to see if your hood struts are failing also. They work the same way and are held in place by clips. Also easy to replace.

grantb 02-07-2011 10:18 AM

Like the guys are telling you go ahead and replace the lift arms and to my surprise the window actually lifts on its own after you open it!!!!

You will be happy once you get them replaced - easy to do too!
Good Luck

dhryan44 02-07-2011 11:29 AM

where could i get the struts?..i need seom cheep but high quality

JeepMe 02-07-2011 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhryan44 (Post 349940)
where could i get the struts?..i need seom cheep but high quality

I bought the ones for my hood from Advanced Auto. Any local autoparts store should have them.

Divo Kinevil 02-07-2011 10:20 PM

yeah any auto parts store should have them. i think walmart might even stock some generic ones that will fit. i believe i paid $25 from the NAPA near me for a pair and ive had no problems.

TJXJWJ 02-08-2011 08:58 AM

I've had to do my hood and my liftgate glass. Now the liftgate itself is feeling weak. Looks like I'll be doing those soon too. 20 minutes max is right...super easy job. Just be careful and support the glass while you're doing one side at a time. Don't cross thread anything either. Cold sux. Makes everything act up.