Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Recirculate Mystery Logic (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/recirculate-mystery-logic-18530.html)

Marky 02-07-2011 12:21 PM

Recirculate Mystery Logic

What's the logic around the Recirculate button? I've read the manuals, but I've yet to really grok the whole thing. Or maybe I have, but the logic is just odd...

For example, you're in full auto and you push recirc. it blinks at you and doesn't change modes. So you hit the button to redirect the heat out the dashboard vents and then hit the recirc button again. Now it works. But it also turns on the A/C for unknown reasons. So you turn off the A/C and then hit the Auto button. Now you're in full auto with recirc. How come I couldn't do that from the beginning with one button push?

It's a drag because I'm regularly in long tunnels (heading out of Manhattan) and switching to recirc requires quite a few clicks on the hvac control panel. And at this point I still have to look at the panel to get the combo right. I guess eventually I'll be able to do it via muscle memory, but right now the switch over really takes my attention away from the road. And at the entrance to a tunnel with all the merging you really need to pay attention.

Can anybody explain the recirc button's logic to me?

blackpepper 02-07-2011 12:42 PM

Re: Recirculate Mystery Logic

First of all, I have the same "issue" with the WK

I think that when auto is initially turned on, it is on defrost mode to clear the windows and then after some time you can turn it to recirc mode if you wish. Recirc mode doesn't work when the defroster is on, so that's why (I think) auto mode locks you out of that option until a certain amount of time has passed.

Marky 02-07-2011 01:07 PM

Thanks, I think you're on to something....

From the manual:

Quote:

• Most of the time, when in Automatic operation, you can temporarily put the system into Recirculation mode by pressing the Recirculation button. However, under certain conditions in automatic the system is blowing air out of the defrost vents. When these conditions are present, and the Recirculation button is pressed, the indicator will flash and remain off. This tells you that you are unable to go into Recirculation mode at this time. If you would like to go to Recirculation mode, you must first move your mode knob to Panel, Panel/Floor, or Floor, then press the Recirculation button. This feature will reduce the possibility of window fogging.
And this:
Quote:

Recirculation
This button can be used to block out smoke, odors, dust, high humidity, or if rapid cooling is desired. The Recirculation mode should only be used temporarily. The button includes an LED that illuminates, which indicates that the Recirculation mode is active. You may use this feature separately.
NOTE: Extended use of recirculation may cause the windows to fog. If the interior of the windows begins to fog, press the Recirculation button to return to outside air. Some temperature/humidity conditions will cause captured interior air to condense on windows and hamper visibility. For this reason, the system will not allow Recirculation mode to be selected while in the defrost or defrost/floor modes. Attempting to use Recirculation while in these modes will cause the LED in the button to blink and then turn off.
My next question is, why can I never get to Recirc when in Auto mode? Am I such a heavy breather that my windows are always being defrosted!! I don't hear any Defroster action. And I think I can only get it to switch to Recirc in Panel mode -- not Foot mode. But I'll double check that next time I'm in the car. And why does hitting Recirc turn on the A/C?

blackpepper 02-07-2011 01:18 PM

Good info :)

I think you just need to be patient.. it works for me after some point in time, I'm just not sure when that time is :lol:

The recirc probably turns on the A/C due to the rapid cooling people desire, or the A/C does a better job at filtering out particles such as smoke, odors, dust, high humidity.

Cherodude 02-07-2011 01:28 PM

The outside air temperature likely has some effect on where Auto mode directs its air flow. In winter, it may often be directing a small amount of the airflow to defrost, just to keep windows from fogging -- hence the problem getting Recirc to take hold while in Auto. It may direct the airflow differently when it is warm outside.

VermontHobbit 02-07-2011 01:28 PM

This seems to be a bit of a sad case of the engineers at Chrysler deciding what is good for you... rather than making the system obey your commands. Don't feel bad, the Airbus you flew on last has the same subtleties in its flight control software :rolleyes:

blackpepper 02-07-2011 01:32 PM

Auto mode is by definition, auto mode.. if you want the system to obey, turn off auto mode set it to your liking!

mrpositraction 02-07-2011 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackpepper (Post 350113)
Auto mode is by definition, auto mode.. if you want the system to obey, turn off auto mode set it to your liking!

LOL!!!! What? That would be rediculous :slapfight:

blackpepper 02-07-2011 01:54 PM

:D Just sayin'....

Marky 02-07-2011 03:13 PM

Hmm...in my old vehicle the Auto mode was smarter. One button click on Recirc did what it is advertised to do. And in an emergency odor situation (all too common here in the big city -- but probably not unfamiliar to people in pig farming communities) where seconds count - that one button cabin sealing is awesome.

The point about the A/C turning on is that it happens when you are NOT in Auto mode.

The engineers could have done better on this one. Certainly not major, but one of these days when I'm texting on my phone as I approach a tunnel and reach for the control panel to do the complicated finger dance to get into recirc I'm going to crash. And when I do, my lawyers will be on Chrysler so quickly...

JoeSchmoe007 02-07-2011 03:27 PM

See my post #24 below

GC2011 02-07-2011 03:43 PM

Exactly, I always keep mine in manual mode. I never use auto mode because the fan is always screaming to make it to the set temperature. I do without all the noise and wait a few minutes longer.