Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

ML550 vs. Overland V8

8K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  Repo503 
#1 ·
Just for fun I went on the MB website to "build" a MB ML550 with the same options/config that my Overland, V8, BBP, 730N has. I did it as close as I could get. There were a couple of small things the MB had but some things that it did not (QL for example).

MB - $71,695
GC - $44,990

And they were developed together!

#4 · (Edited)
I heard this same thing from my neighbor when I bough my E550...you coulda bought a Ford Taurus sho for much less.

It is indeed the next generation ML that will have platform similarities to the Jeep. The current ML is getting a bit old so I don't really think its a fair comparison until the new one comes out. Obviously the Merc will lose on price but if it can offer a better interior and a better engine it might still be compelling. I've never been a big fan of the ML however, its always been bland and soft.

#14 · (Edited)
FWIW Reportedly the replacement for the 3xx class engines in the next gen Benz will be based on the Pentastar six. Also the V8 used in the current (and future?) 5xx class engines is based on the same block as Jeep/Chrysler's 4.7 (The MB does have 32 valve heads and such) and MB has already phased their 5 speed (now used in Jeeps) for a 7 Speed.....

And as we all know the chassis were developed off a common design.

So they are definitely cousins if not step brothers
:slapfight:

#7 ·
It's not just about "features". There are some tangible and intangible differences when you get into higher-end vehicles. I have owned my share of bottom-feeders, some middle-road, and a couple higher-end vehicles. The nicer ones were my favorites, especially the German ones. But were they worth the price, hard to say, it depends on perspective.

The drive quality, fit and finish, dealership service experience, little things you find they think of to make the overall experience better.

So, an E-Class is not the same as a Ford Taurus, but there is a law of diminishing returns. Are those nicer features worth the extra $20k+. For a lot of people it isn't, and I don't blame them.

There are also a fair number of people with the disposable income required to the point that $20k doesn't mean much and they'd much rather drive a Benz than a Ford...

-Ryan

#9 ·
^^^^ Definately one of the biggest automotive stuff-ups ever was Mercedes' pulling the quality out of their lineup from the late 90's until recently in search of the mighty profit margin.

No longer are Merc regarded as being bank-like in their quality, nor bankable on resale.

They promise us they have responded to these dark days and that the next generations will be once again, good vehicles.

One can only hope, as the last late model Merc I pulled apart (a C55 AMG to put a cage in), was honestly so bad that if looking at the wiring, you could have mistaken it for a mid 70's Plymouth!

#18 · (Edited)
Same here. That's why I chose the 3.6L instead of the Hemi. :p

(not saying that there's anything wrong with the Mexican built Hemi....)

/and yes, I'm just causing trouble right now

#16 ·
Another good comparison is with the Land Rover LR4. 5.0 V8, similar size, air suspension, but $55-60k with similar equipment. Nice vehicle, with essentially the saem capability, but cost and servicing/reliability swung me over to the WK2. The two were surprisingly close in feel.

#17 ·
I've owned 2 E classes now, a 03 E500 and a 10 E550 4matic and haven't had any major problems with either. That being said I love my dealer, even tiny problems they take care of immediately and give good loaner cars when mine is being serviced. They detail it every other month or so for free, and I get perks like free passes to vintage car racing and alike that they sponser. Merc quality might have slipped over the last decade or two but I haven't really seen it myself.

Resale isn't as good for some models (have you priced a used V12? You'd have to be crazy to buy one new.) But I still got nearly 30k on my 03 when I traded it in. Then again its not like any chrysler has stunning resale except maybe GC SRT8.

#19 ·
Mercedes have been the primary car brand purchased in our family for the last 30 years. There were indeed serious quality isssues from about 2000 - 2006, but Mercedes has really regained its focus in the past few years. I don't drive a Mercedes any more, but there are plenty of cars in their lineup that are amazing vehicles.

I would not buy the ML or any other SUV that is severly limited in its non-asphalt capabilities, but if cost wasn't a consideration, the Mercedes G550 or G55 AMG would be fun to own.

#20 ·
Mercedes have been the primary car brand purchased in our family for the last 30 years. There were indeed serious quality isssues from about 2000 - 2006, but Mercedes has really regained its focus in the past few years. I don't drive a Mercedes any more, but there are plenty of cars in their lineup that are amazing vehicles.

I would not buy the ML or any other SUV that is severly limited in its non-asphalt capabilities, but if cost wasn't a consideration, the Mercedes G550 or G55 AMG would be fun to own.
Indeed I would probably take a G over any other SUV, but I just can't see spending 100k+ on a part time vehicle...at least not yet, maybe in retirement.

#25 · (Edited)
Picked up a 2011 C63 AMG yesterday and was checking out a brand new G55 AMG . It was absolutely stunning, but so was the price tag. I also saw a GL550 that I thought was really impressive as well. The quality of the newer Mercedes make the Chrysler years seem like completely different cars. I have to say, if I was had the extra cash, I would love to have either one. The MLs were nice but definitely had the feeling of a soccer mom car.

The whole purchasing experience at Mercedes was completely different than my Jeep experience. If anything has me worried about my Summit order, it is the thought of having to deal with the dealerships and service departments going forward.

#28 ·
Yeah I like the GL too but don't really need something that large anymore, hence getting rid of my Denali. And the ML is a soccer mom car for sure...kinda the German lexus RX. Like I said before I'd love a G class, but I just can't see spending more than about 70 on any car. When you start thinking about an extra 40k or so into an IRA, by the time I retire that will be quite a bit of scratch.

That Merc 6.2 V8 sounds incredible too...had to talk myself away from going crazy and getting an E63 instead of the more practical E550 4matic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.