Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Negotiating a deal when ordering (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/negotiating-a-deal-when-ordering-18550.html)

boilermaker593 02-07-2011 08:55 PM

Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Greetings! I'm relatively new here at Jeep Garage, and I've learned such a great deal already from the forum here. Thanks to everyone!

Here's my question: I know exactly the vehicle and specs I want, and I plan on ordering. I want the 730N Media Center RHR upgrade in a Limited 4x4 Hemi, so I know there aren't any vehicles sitting on lots at the moment. If I use the Affiliate Pricing with Tread Lightly, is there any reason to try and negotiate a price since I'm planning to order? Should I just find a dealer that will give me the Affiliate pricing and be done with it?

I've never ordered a vehicle before, so I'm not sure how much negotiating leverage I would have and if it's worth the hassles if I can find a dealer who will just honor the TL pricing. I appreciate any comments/advice!

Nadine

Dan JGC 02-07-2011 10:25 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boilermaker593 (Post 350492)
Greetings! I'm relatively new here at Jeep Garage, and I've learned such a great deal already from the forum here. Thanks to everyone!

Here's my question: I know exactly the vehicle and specs I want, and I plan on ordering. I want the 730N Media Center RHR upgrade in a Limited 4x4 Hemi, so I know there aren't any vehicles sitting on lots at the moment. If I use the Affiliate Pricing with Tread Lightly, is there any reason to try and negotiate a price since I'm planning to order? Should I just find a dealer that will give me the Affiliate pricing and be done with it?

I've never ordered a vehicle before, so I'm not sure how much negotiating leverage I would have and if it's worth the hassles if I can find a dealer who will just honor the TL pricing. I appreciate any comments/advice!

Nadine

Hi..... He's what I would do...negotiate a great price on an existing Jeep GC that includes everything you would want except the 730N RHR....you get your Jeep NOW and at a price that will allow you to upgrade the media center later when they are finally available..... Just a thought. Dealers are giving discounts on in stock Laredos and some Limiteds too...not so much on Overlands.

Captain Slow 02-08-2011 04:22 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Can dealers typically do better than affiliate/supplier pricing? I thought that was the beauty of affiliate pricing was that you got a great deal and didn't have to hassle for it.

2011RitterGC 02-08-2011 04:36 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 350572)
Hi..... He's what I would do...negotiate a great price on an existing Jeep GC that includes everything you would want except the 730N RHR....you get your Jeep NOW and at a price that will allow you to upgrade the media center later when they are finally available..... Just a thought. Dealers are giving discounts on in stock Laredos and some Limiteds too...not so much on Overlands.

Wait! Is that good advice? The price of a 730N RHR is around $3,000 if you just try and buy one after the fact. Its only a $435(?) upgrade from a 430N fi you order or buy off the lot.

2011RitterGC 02-08-2011 04:38 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Slow (Post 351002)
Can dealers typically do better than affiliate/supplier pricing? I thought that was the beauty of affiliate pricing was that you got a great deal and didn't have to hassle for it.

They can but many will not het close. Yes that is the advantage of affiliate pricing. Some people don't like to or are not good at talking down a dealer on price.

The EP price is even better. Can't get much better than that.

Captain Slow 02-08-2011 04:51 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC (Post 351016)
They can but many will not het close. Yes that is the advantage of affiliate pricing. Some people don't like to or are not good at talking down a dealer on price.

The EP price is even better. Can't get much better than that.

Thanks. Yeah, we're currently weighing affiliate pricing of a JGC Overland vs. EP on a Cadillac SRX. Even with EP the SRX is $6000+ more! Assuming the dealer doesn't screw us on trade in, I think we might be purchasing our first ever Jeep this weekend.

Dan JGC 02-08-2011 06:59 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC (Post 351013)
Wait! Is that good advice? The price of a 730N RHR is around $3,000 if you just try and buy one after the fact. Its only a $435(?) upgrade from a 430N fi you order or buy off the lot.

I'm thinking you can sell the 430N.....quite frankly, the 430N versus 730N RHR isn't a deal breaker for me the more I've learned.....I'd take my Summit now with a 430N. And I'm thinking I'd probably like it just the same once I was using it that it would become a non-issue.

2011RitterGC 02-08-2011 11:02 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan JGC (Post 351096)
I'm thinking you can sell the 430N.....quite frankly, the 430N versus 730N RHR isn't a deal breaker for me the more I've learned.....I'd take my Summit now with a 430N. And I'm thinking I'd probably like it just the same once I was using it that it would become a non-issue.


No matter. It would still cost at least $1,500 if you could sell the 430N.

boilermaker593 02-09-2011 07:12 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Well, here's the reason I posed the original question. The Jeep I'm looking to order with options comes to an Invoice price of $41290 including destination charge (no TTL). The Affiliate program states the discount is 1% below invoice which would bring the price down $412. One dealer, before I even talked about purchase, told me he would start at $500 below invoice. Another dealer, online and using the AAA car purchase program through Zag.com, gave me a quote of $1010 below invoice.

Earlier today, I received a quote from my local dealer for $1050 below invoice. Am I missing something with the Affiliate Pricing? I do know the only other costs are a $75 admin fee for the Affiliate program. When I talked to a rep from Chrysler's program, she also said I would be responsible for any documentation fees (which I saw on other threads here is debatable on whether or not they can charge those additional fees). She also told me I would need to go directly to a dealer to see the actual pricing. There was nothing I could get from them directly.

So I still need to add documentation fees (which an out of state dealer told me would be $129). Again, what am I missing on the Affiliate Pricing if dealers are willing to quote me more than 1% below invoice?

Nadine

mjw930 02-09-2011 07:39 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by boilermaker593 (Post 352027)
Well, here's the reason I posed the original question. The Jeep I'm looking to order with options comes to an Invoice price of $41290 including destination charge (no TTL). The Affiliate program states the discount is 1% below invoice which would bring the price down $412. One dealer, before I even talked about purchase, told me he would start at $500 below invoice. Another dealer, online and using the AAA car purchase program through Zag.com, gave me a quote of $1010 below invoice.

Earlier today, I received a quote from my local dealer for $1050 below invoice. Am I missing something with the Affiliate Pricing? I do know the only other costs are a $75 admin fee for the Affiliate program. When I talked to a rep from Chrysler's program, she also said I would be responsible for any documentation fees (which I saw on other threads here is debatable on whether or not they can charge those additional fees). She also told me I would need to go directly to a dealer to see the actual pricing. There was nothing I could get from them directly.

So I still need to add documentation fees (which an out of state dealer told me would be $129). Again, what am I missing on the Affiliate Pricing if dealers are willing to quote me more than 1% below invoice?

Nadine

It's possible the dealers have some incentive money they are throwing in that lowers the price. Also, with Affiliate they can charge documentation fees but they can't charge dealer fees, which in FL range for $499 to $999.

Honestly I don't understand why a dealer would sell for less than Affiliate pricing since Chrysler pays them a stipend for participating in the program which they won't get if you sell you the vehicle straight up. There's obviously some additional money behind the scenes that we aren't aware of. What's frustrating is they are supposed to pass that along even with affiliate pricing but it seems many don't.

Look for the bottom line and if they offer better than Affiliate then good for you. I know here, for a 4X4 Overland some dealers won't accept Affiliate pricing much less discounting the vehicle so in those situations having the program helps a lot.

boilermaker593 02-09-2011 08:02 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 352046)

Honestly I don't understand why a dealer would sell for less than Affiliate pricing since Chrysler pays them a stipend for participating in the program which they won't get if you sell you the vehicle straight up. There's obviously some additional money behind the scenes that we aren't aware of. What's frustrating is they are supposed to pass that along even with affiliate pricing but it seems many don't.

You see - that's my dilemma. I haven't mentioned the affiliate pricing to any dealers yet. When I was a Chrysler employee many, many years ago, we could get the Employee pricing charts and know what the price would be before even setting foot in the dealership. I thought the Affiliate pricing would be the same thing - get a price list ahead of time. But you can't. You basically have to go into the dealer, announce you are using Affiliate pricing, and then find out what the price is. Maybe I should just pick a dealer and walk in to get those numbers. I'm just assuming that it's a 1% below invoice and that's it (since there are no incentives at this time).

lweisenb 02-09-2011 08:52 PM

Re: Negotiating a deal when ordering
 
Many dealers are concerned just as much with volume as they are profit, and my be willing to forgo some profit to fill quota and make an easy sale. They may also be tacking additional dollars on the back end, either finance percentage or doc/dealer fees.

Always look at your out the door price when comparing offers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community