Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Road Slush Gathering in Rear Door Jams? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/road-slush-gathering-in-rear-door-jams-18573.html)

hinshawdf 02-08-2011 02:37 PM

Road Slush Gathering in Rear Door Jams?

I recently purchased a 2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo and am well pleased witht eh vehicle so far. However, living in an area of North Carolina that averages over 60 inches of snow a year I recently discovered a potential problem and was wondering if anyone else has had this and/or repaired the issue:
There is a gap of about 1/2" between the body and corner of the rear door, right in front of the rear tires. This allows tons of gunk(road salt slush here in the mountains) to pack into the door jam and between the moulding and door frame. The first rubber seal stops the gunk from going any farther, but there are about 2 inches before the seal that just fills with road film, and packs between the moulding and door frame. The only way I have found to clean this is to take a water hose to the open door and flush the area between the frame and moulding. I am sure this is not getting all of the salt out of the area, and rust will follow. Any Suggestions?

B.P.O.D 02-08-2011 02:41 PM

Re: Road Slush Gathering in Rear Door Jams?

picture of this please?

litespeedz 02-09-2011 06:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have seen the same thing. I have found that when I wash the car it cleans up a lot of it. We have car washes here that you can spray it yourself with a high pressure hose. It works well.

I don't have a picture of the slush but I do have a couple of the aftermath. The slush collects and accumulates outside of the rubber door seal. When it melts it leaves a salty mess. It will clean if wiped with a cloth. I have also seen this on the tailgate when it is open (or if the rear window is open).

I have had other cars that get salt on the inside of the doors, although not to this extent. I had never seen slush inside them like I did in a couple of winter storms with this car. It's a little scary but I try to keep an eye on it. Nothing is getting in the car or past the door seal. It just seems that the door and body cage area outside of the seal may have a gap that is a little big. This allows the slush to find a home.

I don't know if this is a real long-term issue or not. Time will tell. But I will keep it as clean as I can. In the spring and fall I will probably wax that area to add a layer of protection. I will probably clean the rubber seals in the spring and apply a small amount of light-bodied silicone grease to prevent the seals from getting brittle and cracking.

Attachment 5321

Attachment 5322

Attachment 5323

Hogs 02-10-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litespeedz (Post 352019)
I will probably clean the rubber seals in the spring and apply a small amount of light-bodied silicone grease to prevent the seals from getting brittle and cracking.

Good call. Dielectric grease is perfect for that. I do it to all of my vehicles.

tycovie 02-10-2011 12:56 AM

Wow pretty salty in there

litespeedz 02-10-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogs (Post 352227)
Good call. Dielectric grease is perfect for that. I do it to all of my vehicles.

That's exactly what I have in mind. I work for a company that makes dielectric silicone greases. This is a very common use for them! This stuff works great!

LiquidOxygen 02-11-2011 10:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine doesnt seem to be that bad. Yours look pretty extreem

BimmerAgent 02-15-2011 12:29 AM

I get the same thing, and it's annoying. A seal needs to be added. Bruce

jeep2011 02-15-2011 10:17 AM

Wow I haven't noticed that at all. I even went out in the mud this weekend and I was shocked how well the seals did. I didn't get mud in any door jam.

the1jake 02-15-2011 11:18 AM

meh, I just can't get too upset about it. After the beach driving, I was finding sand *everywhere*. (a bunch in the door jams and rear hatch areas)

The strangest place? After taking it through the carwash a few times afterwards, I still had some actual sand coming out from the rear reflectors. (yes, I know, a carwash, how dare I let this thing be touched anything but virgin maidens with chamois cloths)