Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Furry Headliner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/furry-headliner-18581.html)

jes_96 02-08-2011 04:08 PM

Furry Headliner

3 Attachment(s)
Ya, this is a severely odd request, but I've tried everything. When Brutus (6 year old, 170 lb Great Dane) wants to go for a nice ride in the Jeep, I put the back seat down and let him hang out in the larger cargo area. For the most part, he just lays there and stares out the window, but, now and again, he likes to stand up, stick his head out the window and bark and growl violently at an unsuspecting passerby. Though I love seeing people wet themselves when he does this to the occasional hoodlum thug hard-a$$ type, he manages to deposit a significant amount of black fur on the light tan headliner by way of his back rubbing against it. I can't get this fur out to save my life! I've tried the lint tape roller, the directional lint brush, and a bit of good old fashioned duck tape, all to no avail. I ran my small-ish shop vac over it and it did nothing. It almost seems as though the fur is embedded in the headliner. Surely, someone else has experienced this and found a reasonable solution to removing dog fur from a Jeep headliner. I'd love to hear all about it.

08Hemi 02-08-2011 04:22 PM

Re: Furry Headliner

dayum! beautiful dog...no clue bro as my dog is not human-size haha

it seems you have tried all my ideas except one...try a regular terry towel and wet it a little...rub it over the hair and create some friction, it may losen it up? Other than a more heavy-duty vaccum with hair extension, no clue. Sorry I wasn't better help

HemiDawg 02-08-2011 05:27 PM

I was going to say the same thing - wet the hair with a damp towel and then try to vacuum. Wetting it may make it a little heavier to where the vacuum can pick it up.

B.P.O.D 02-08-2011 05:31 PM

awesome dog!!!!!!

Devilsmed98 02-08-2011 05:34 PM

I always wanted a dog like that. My parents came home with two, not one, male furry white Maltese. :( Love them to death but not the kind of manly dog that can go hunting, hiking, and offroading with me. Maybe I'll get one in like 15 years when I move out.

jes_96 02-09-2011 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 351003)
dayum! beautiful dog...no clue bro as my dog is not human-size haha

it seems you have tried all my ideas except one...try a regular terry towel and wet it a little...rub it over the hair and create some friction, it may losen it up? Other than a more heavy-duty vaccum with hair extension, no clue. Sorry I wasn't better help

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiDawg (Post 351051)
I was going to say the same thing - wet the hair with a damp towel and then try to vacuum. Wetting it may make it a little heavier to where the vacuum can pick it up.

That never even crossed my mind! Thank goodness for this forum! I didn't have much time last night, but I did manage to try just a little 6" section, wiping the headliner with a damp towel, then running the shop vac over it with the brush attachment. It got a little discolored, but I'm thinking it was just the dampness, and the color will return to original once it dries. I'll have to check it out tonight. Thanks for the idea on this; much appreciated. Amazing what a few sets of fresh eyes can do for solving a problem.

jes_96 02-09-2011 11:21 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by B.P.O.D (Post 351052)
awesome dog!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 351054)
I always wanted a dog like that. My parents came home with two, not one, male furry white Maltese. :( Love them to death but not the kind of manly dog that can go hunting, hiking, and offroading with me. Maybe I'll get one in like 15 years when I move out.

Brutus thanks you. He's definitely the smartest dog I've ever had. He can be trained to do just about anything in no time at all. Trouble is, being so large, once you teach him something, you have to live with the negative consequences; like when I thought it'd be a good idea to teach him to go downstairs to the mancave and get me an adult beverage outta the beer fridge. Came home from work the next day to 9 empty Bud Lights with tooth holes in them scattered about one very inebriated dog! Oops. Guess ya gotta be careful what ya wish for - I always wanted a dog that could fetch me a beer, but, alas, he doesn't seem to want to share 'his' beer.

The wife and I have our first baby coming in June. As you could imagine, having a dog this large around a baby scares the daylights outta me! I think he'll be fine, as he's been just peachy around my friends' little ones in the past, but, nonetheless, we're taking measures to minimize the chance of something going horribly wrong. One of the things on my list was one of those cargo cages behind the backseat. I doubt there will be very many instances in which I'll have the baby and the dog in the Jeep at the same time, but, in an emergency, I guess I wouldn't have a choice. And, as a secondary consideration, I'm hoping to keep his fur in the cargo area, as opposed to above where the baby will be sitting. Has anyone installed one of these cargo cages? Recommendations?

Oh, and for his 'fans' (he's such a ham - walking him is like being in a freak show parade!), here's a couple more pretty cool pics of Brutus (and Sarah, his 'grandmother' - RIP @ a ripe old age of 19 a few months ago). If I'm creating a problem uploading these pics, could someone please let me know? Thanks.

2005JGC 02-09-2011 12:38 PM

you call him smart and post a picture of him staring longingly into the shades ha ha.

Im just playing, he is a beautiful dog! btw, will he even fit in the back of the jeep with the seats up?

jes_96 02-09-2011 01:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2005JGC (Post 351696)
you call him smart and post a picture of him staring longingly into the shades ha ha.

Im just playing, he is a beautiful dog! btw, will he even fit in the back of the jeep with the seats up?

Oh, and believe you me, he definitely has the art of 'looking dumb' down to a science!! He was actually looking through the sheer at a couple mormons at the front door just before they rang the bell. The one fella stepped over towards the window and Brut flipped out. No, they didn't ring the bell; I think they just moved on to a house with a smaller dog.

Speaking of looking dumb, Brutus does this thing out back where he'll walk real slow through the yard just gawking around. The first couple times he did it, I was at a loss, seeing as he is usually going somewhere 'with a purpose'. After a few times of watching this, thinking he was having a walking seizure of some sort, I figured it out. He looks around at the lowest branches on the trees, then, without ever looking directly at one, or looking as though he's actually going to their location, he'll spring straight up, no-look, and knock a bird off the branch! It's unreal, he tiptoes around my friends 3 year old like a fat ballerina, but he has perfected the science of knocking a bird off a branch, or out of mid-air, and ripping it into ten pieces inside of 5 seconds! I was a bit in awe the first time I saw him get one, so I tried to keep him from doing it when the wife was out there with us. Lo and behold, one day there was a big crow right outside the front door, and, before I realized it, Brutus had knocked it down when it tried to fly off. Quite a scene - the wife screaming, the bird squawking, and Brutus growling like a dog possessed! I couldn't help but giggle (didn't earn any points with the wife). I still don't think she's gotten over that one. She still scares all the birds off before she lets Brutus out.

And, no, he really doesn't fit in the back seat, with the seat backs up. His head is out one window, his a$$ is out the other and he holds himself steady by arching his back against the headliner. And, with the leather seats, if he's caught off guard in a turn or stop, he flies around the inside of the jeep like a frozen half of beef! Ugly.

Just for good measure, here's a few more ...

White Chocolate 02-09-2011 04:08 PM

Wow thats a beautiful dog!!! lol

TheAngryMinnow 03-06-2011 09:50 PM

Sorry it took me so long to actually post this. I've got the exact same problem (black dane male) and this attachment that came with my kirby is the ONLY thing that works those hairs out of the head liner. Also works great on the carpet, those little nubs are rubber and flexible, use it in a circular pattern.

http://www.totalvac.com/store/graphi...001/214199.jpg

$4 here

http://www.totalvac.com/214184.html

TheAngryMinnow 03-06-2011 09:55 PM

This is my boy, had him since 5 weeks as a rescue from a puppy mill...almost a lost cause when he came to us. The fawn greyhound mix is a foster we've had for 6 weeks and will be leaving us soon, he gets along great with her (all our animals do).

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8021386_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._5598555_n.jpg

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4439807_n.jpg