Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Bought a used WK and a donkey did my brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/bought-a-used-wk-and-a-donkey-did-my-brakes-18616.html)

GratefulDeadWK 02-09-2011 09:02 AM

Bought a used WK and a donkey did my brakes

Ok so I go to put new rear pads on my 05 WK 3.7 last night and I found some nice surprises. First on the Driver side the idiot who ever changed the rear pads before I bought the Jeep last year didn't install the pads correctly and the clips were totally put on wrong letting the pads flop around. Ok, problem solved everything else seems fine, even the caliper looks like its fresh. Pass side is even worse.

Besides the pads being put in wrong like the drivers side, the monkey decided to leave out the lower caliper boot. WTF??? The problem is that the boot on the Jeep holds the pin in so no boot=a ton of play and a dangerous situation. Also having no boot meant I had to custom fab one from a parts bin. Got it to work great but I'm majorly pissed that I bought a Jeep from a dealer and something like this was overlooked:mad::mad::mad:.

I'm thinking of calling Chrysler 1800*** and complaining. Any thoughts on this matter?

Scottina06 02-09-2011 09:07 AM

Re: Bought a used WK and a donkey did my brakes

I would call the dealer first

robpp 02-09-2011 09:10 AM

chrysler could care less what happened to you and a USED WK. they dont OWN a dealer. nor control the dealer.

its the dealer that f'ed you over real good. take it up with them.

and if those are the tings you found easily imagine the ones you dont notice yet......

i said it before and I'll ay it again.........dont buy a used WK that has NO warranty.

GratefulDeadWK 02-09-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 351477)
chrysler could care less what happened to you and a USED WK. they dont OWN a dealer. nor control the dealer.

its the dealer that f'ed you over real good. take it up with them.

and if those are the tings you found easily imagine the ones you dont notice yet......

i said it before and I'll ay it again.........dont buy a used WK that has NO warranty.

Why not buy a used WK with no warranty? It has not been a money pit. Not for nothing but if you can work on your own car don't give some opinionated bs; Like the dealer does quality work or something. Even if I did have a warranty I wouldn't want to bring it there. I did have a warranty from them but it ran out. What do you say to all the people who own WK's and warranty runs out. Sell it, burn it?

If you think a WK is bad out of warranty just look at any Euro marque with no warranty and tell me you rather have that :). Not trying to start a war here but this forum is for people who like to get down and dirty and not go to the dealer.

TheAngryMinnow 02-09-2011 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 351475)
I would call the dealer first

this

2005JGC 02-09-2011 12:20 PM

There are people in any shop, dealer or not that do subpar work... its unfourtunate but a reality. Ultimately I would ask the dealer for a full history on the vin. What you may find is that the brakes were replaced for the used vehicle inspection. If thats the case I would have taken pictures of your findings and gone into the dealer with them.

Just because of this I would not go insta-freaked about the rest of the car. ALOT of shops "specalize" in brakes and suspension, places that MANY people take their vehicles to when it needs brakes,and they still leave bolts out or loose. Case in point a KK liberty that came in with a "wheel doenst turn"... it didnt turn because midas forgot to tighten the caliper bolts, the caliper tipped forward when the top bolt fell out and punctured the wheel.

Its not ok by any means and "it happens" doesnt change how dangerous or life threatening it could be, or justify it. people are humans, not god and mistakes are occationally made.

GratefulDeadWK 02-09-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAngryMinnow (Post 351581)
this

done. Honeslty if the boot didnt hold the pin in I wouldnt care but this is a huge deal there was nothing holding the pin in.