Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   MIL & OBD lights on (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/mil-and-obd-lights-on-18630.html)

GC07 02-09-2011 02:12 PM

MIL & OBD lights on
 
Hi all,

I had an oil change a day ago and the garage used 10W 40 which was recomended. However, today the MIL and OBD lights came on. The OBD is on continuous and the MIL light is flashing.

I know some garages use 5w 30. Could the change in oil bring about this problem with the diagnostics and the MIL light?

Does anyone know how to access the code to ascertain what the problem could actually be?

All help gratefully appreciated

Car is Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD 2007 model

2005JGC 02-09-2011 02:21 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
I am no diesel tech, but generally a flashing MIL is a misfire, I would imagine it would remain true for diesel too.

pull the codes and tell us what they are.

GC07 02-09-2011 03:18 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
I would pull the codes myself, but have tried the methods suggested of turning the ignition on/off three times and nothing shows on the display.

If anyone has a solution to pulling the codes other than this then please can you assist so I can pull the codes. Thanks

maxst2 02-09-2011 06:13 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Autozone will pull codes for free.

fatfreddy 02-09-2011 09:11 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC07 (Post 351794)
Hi all,

I had an oil change a day ago and the garage used 10W 40 which was recomended. However, today the MIL and OBD lights came on. The OBD is on continuous and the MIL light is flashing.

I know some garages use 5w 30. Could the change in oil bring about this problem with the diagnostics and the MIL light?

Does anyone know how to access the code to ascertain what the problem could actually be?

All help gratefully appreciated

Car is Grand Cherokee 3.0L CRD 2007 model

First they put the WRONG oil in it.You are supposed to use 5/30 or 5/40 Mercedes spec 229.31 or 229.51.I would go back and find out the brand of oil they used and make sure it has the Mercedes specs written on it.If it doesn't make them put the right oil in it.Mobil 1 Formula M ESP oil or Amsoil European car oil.Ask them if they did the proper procedure to put the oil in the motor.You put 5 quarts down the oil filler hole and the rest down the oil filter hole when the filter is out and the oil filter cap is off obviously.Around 10.5 quarts.Then wait 15 minutes before starting the engine.I was at the dealer I use for warranty work and I quizzed the oil change kids about how they do the diesel oil change and they didn't have a clue on the procedure.At least they had the right oil there.I have heard if you don't do the oil change properly you can screw up crankshaft bearings.Until you get the codes it is hard to guess what the cause is.If you MIL light is flashing that means something is probably wrong with the emission stuff.If you have driven the Jeep long enough with the wrong oil in it, it could have plugged up the Diesel Particulate Filter.If you can prove they used the wrong oil they will have to pay for thier screw up. That's why I have allways done my own oil changes for the 3 years I have owned my diesel.That is the reason for the Mercedes spec oil it has to be low ash and low sulpher content oil so it does't screw up the DPF.

GC07 02-10-2011 03:47 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Hi Guys,

Follow up. Went to another dealer and they flushed the WRONG oil out and replaced with CORRECT oil at a princely sum of 150.

However a number of issues have now emerged.

1. I need a new SWIRL POT MOTOR 960 (inc leaking turbo tube etc)

2. I need 1 & 2 Glow plugs replacing 120 for the pair inc fitting

3. I need a new Gear shifter Bezel 560 inc fitting

A costly sum of approx 1,640 or roughly $ 2,300

They would not say whether the incorrect oil had caused these issues.

I have been back to the garage that put the WRONG oil in and they are adamant that they used the CORRECT oil and will not admit these could be their fault. TYPICAL GARAGE!!!

Does anyone know :-

1. If the swirl pot motor can be replaced any cheaper (inc the bits connected)

2. If the no 1 & 2 Glow plugs can be changed by myself and where they are located

3. If the Gear shifter bezel can be easily replaced on my 07 Model

thanks in anticipation of some serious help and money saving pointers.

GratefulDeadWK 02-10-2011 03:59 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
I noticed my MIL will flash if the engine is off for like a few seconds then stat on like it normally does when the motors off

fatfreddy 02-10-2011 05:52 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC07 (Post 352663)
Hi Guys,

Follow up. Went to another dealer and they flushed the WRONG oil out and replaced with CORRECT oil at a princely sum of 150.

However a number of issues have now emerged.

1. I need a new SWIRL POT MOTOR 960 (inc leaking turbo tube etc)

2. I need 1 & 2 Glow plugs replacing 120 for the pair inc fitting

3. I need a new Gear shifter Bezel 560 inc fitting

A costly sum of approx 1,640 or roughly $ 2,300

They would not say whether the incorrect oil had caused these issues.

I have been back to the garage that put the WRONG oil in and they are adamant that they used the CORRECT oil and will not admit these could be their fault. TYPICAL GARAGE!!!

Does anyone know :-

1. If the swirl pot motor can be replaced any cheaper (inc the bits connected)

2. If the no 1 & 2 Glow plugs can be changed by myself and where they are located

3. If the Gear shifter bezel can be easily replaced on my 07 Model

thanks in anticipation of some serious help and money saving pointers.

I have heard that you can get the swirl motor done under emission warranty which is 8 years 80782 miles over here in Canada.Don't know how long your emission warranty is where you are,try to get them to put it through emissions for repair.A guy named Merlin on the WK technical forum has done these under warranty.He is in Britian,but don't know where exactly.He is a very compatent and knowledgable man.Has helped a lot of diesel owners over the years.He is on jeepforum.com in the WK section with lots of good answers.The glow plugs are easy to do,but be very carefull when unscrewing them they can break off.Search the WK forum there are some good write ups on replaceing glow plugs.As for your shift bezel,it can be taken out and apart and you can clean the electrical contacts that the shifter slides on. a.Again there are good articals about that on jeepforum.com.

GC07 02-11-2011 03:31 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Fatfreddy thanks very much for the headsup. Cool. I rang the dealers where I took the car for the CORRECT oil replacing and the service manager has said he is going to try and get the Swirl Pot Actuator and its connecting bits plus the Glow Plugs done under warranty although my car is out of warranty.

He tells me Jeep are very good at anything with emmissions and he reckons they will do it as he has had a long standing relationship with head office here in UK. The bezel is another matter. But I reckon if I get the major work done under warranty I can live with replacing the Gear Shifter Bezel at my own personal cost.

It's not very often you get dealers batting your case especially when you are out of warranty. He said because the car has only done 30K that it is very low mileage on an 07 plate and that I am only 3 months out of warranty that they should honour the repairs.

If the work is done I stand to save in excess of 1,080 or approx $ 1,700

Here's keeping my fingers crossed!!

fatfreddy 02-11-2011 04:04 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GC07 (Post 353438)
Fatfreddy thanks very much for the headsup. Cool. I rang the dealers where I took the car for the CORRECT oil replacing and the service manager has said he is going to try and get the Swirl Pot Actuator and its connecting bits plus the Glow Plugs done under warranty although my car is out of warranty.

He tells me Jeep are very good at anything with emmissions and he reckons they will do it as he has had a long standing relationship with head office here in UK. The bezel is another matter. But I reckon if I get the major work done under warranty I can live with replacing the Gear Shifter Bezel at my own personal cost.

It's not very often you get dealers batting your case especially when you are out of warranty. He said because the car has only done 30K that it is very low mileage on an 07 plate and that I am only 3 months out of warranty that they should honour the repairs.

If the work is done I stand to save in excess of 1,080 or approx $ 1,700

Here's keeping my fingers crossed!!

You are welcome.You could still try taking the shift bezel apart and cleaning the contacts.I have heard that a lot of guys have done this and it has corrected the the goofy dash read outs and shifting problems.When I try to fix stuff I look at it this way,it is allready screwed up so I can't make it any worse.

GC07 02-14-2011 07:29 AM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
Hi all again,

well I sit here today totally amazed!!!! I just got the call from the dealers where they changed the BAD oil to the GOOD oil and where they diagnosed the problems for them to say that Jeep will do all the repairs at NO COST except for the gear shifter bezel!

In a state of shock at the moment and can't believe what they have said! They are saving me 1,100 (1800$) on a repair bill and my vehicle ran out of warranty back in November 2010 with only 30K on speedo.

Never ever heard of a Manufacturer honouring a repair out of warranty!!! EVER!

So a big thanks to Jeep UK !!! I knew buying another Jeep was the right idea. However, if they had said no I would now probably be saying the opposite! ha ha

Seriously, any one getting close to their warranty life, get the swirl pot checked!!! Apparently they have had countless probs with this and this is another reason they agreed to repair it!

Anyway happpy days. I shall now go with a hop skip and a jump and get to blasee about it and something else will happen! sods law!!

take care guys

GC07 03-06-2011 04:57 PM

Re: MIL & OBD lights on
 
well well well......Had the car in at the dealers over friday and saturday 4th & 5th for work to Swirl Pot and Glow Plugs. True to their word they completed the work FREE OF CHARGE saving us 1,200. To make us feel better about the experience they loaned us AT NO COST a great new VOLVO XC75 which went like the clappers.

They even had the car FULLY VALETED all at NO COST.

I cannot give this dealership a bigger thanks than I already have. All I will say is that if anyone in the UK is looking for a great Jeep dealership that really does 'give a damn' I would personally recommend this one.

Hatfields of Sheffield in SharrowVale Road.

I am also going to be sending JeepUk a thank you letter for their support in this matter and the owner of the garage for the expceptional service I was and am assured will be continuing into the future.

They have also offered to reduce the cost of the Gear Shift Bezel from 500 down to 350 with no asking or bartering. I know, this sounds too good to be true!!!!!

They clearly want more business in future and they are certainly going about this in the right manner...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community