Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Needing Advice (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/needing-advice-18632.html)

JEden8 02-09-2011 03:24 PM

Needing Advice

1 Attachment(s)
So here is a pic of my stock WK. It's a 2007 4.7L 4x4. I'm in the process of taking all the chrome off as I'm not a big chrome person. My goals are to get the black SRT8 Reps, all the body molding painted to match, smoke the tails, paint the headlight bezels black, and window tint.

The question I have is this, I was quoted $160 at Maaco to have the chrome grille, chin spoiler, rockers, chrome door inlets, and the part above the rear handle. They informed me that there would be no warranty on their paint due to these parts being plastic. Is it worth getting them painted to just have everything flake off? Or is there a better way to go about this? Thanks for the advice!

TJXJWJ 02-09-2011 03:28 PM

Re: Needing Advice

I'd try another shop just to see what they tell you. I don't think you're going to find many places that will guarantee it to not flake off. All they can do is use proper prep and put flex additive in the paint. I had some plastic parts done at a shop...never had an issue. Once something gets douced in Armor All, etc, it's very hard to get paint to stick correctly.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-09-2011 03:32 PM

or you can sell your chrome door moldings to me lol

JEden8 02-09-2011 03:36 PM

Do you have the black door moldings?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-09-2011 04:27 PM

yes, but mine are the thick moldings. you will want to have the thin black moldings to paint.

JEden8 02-09-2011 06:31 PM

What's the difference? Obviously one is thinner but I didn't know they made different ones. Would it look weird if I had them painted and they looked textured or should I sand down the black moldings?

soontobesrt 02-09-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JEden8 (Post 351845)
So here is a pic of my stock WK. It's a 2007 4.7L 4x4. I'm in the process of taking all the chrome off as I'm not a big chrome person. My goals are to get the black SRT8 Reps, all the body molding painted to match, smoke the tails, paint the headlight bezels black, and window tint.

The question I have is this, I was quoted $160 at Maaco to have the chrome grille, chin spoiler, rockers, chrome door inlets, and the part above the rear handle. They informed me that there would be no warranty on their paint due to these parts being plastic. Is it worth getting them painted to just have everything flake off? Or is there a better way to go about this? Thanks for the advice!

NO WAY MAN! $160 for all those pieces is a silly deal, way too good to be true. Have a legit private owned body shop or someone else give you an estimate and compare. To give you an idea, I had just my mirrors painted by a legit shop in my area in NJ and it was $180 out the door for just them. Well worth the $ though as I got what I paid for and thats automotive quality and they look amazing, can't tell they didn't come from factory like that. You obviously don't want all these pieces to mismatch/peel so you need a shop who does legit body work and paint.

Would you take you Jeep to Maaco after an accident? If you said yes, then maybe you should have them done there but I can tell you Ive never heard of anyone coming out of there or Pepboys or anyplace like that very ecstatic about the work they had done.

At $160, just think in paint and labor what that covers, maybe like 3-4 hours of labor and enough paint for some handles or maybe the grille alone? and thats pushing it. Trust me on this, you get what you pay for like most everything else, $160 isn't even close, unless you were just talking about one of those things listed haha

My guesstimate at having all those pieces body matched (pending where you are located) assuming all need to be sanded, primed, painted and cleared to be done properly and to get the match you want:

Grille - $200 (chrome)
Both Rockers - $200
Front Lip - $150
Rear LP Molding - $100
Handles - $100-$150

$800-$850, Id say this is about what you'd look to pay but being as you're having so much done, a legit place would be able to get you a package deal or somewhat of a bulk discount so Id look to go $700-$750 maybe. Again this is what'd Id pay by me in NJ to have all those things done professionally, but again you could have Maaco do it - GL w/ the work, nice truck btw, good choice :)

JEden8 02-09-2011 08:17 PM

Thanks for the info soontobesrt! The way that it got that low in a price was because I was going to do all the prepwork for these. I was just going to take them in and have them painted and cleared. Unless you don't think I should even do it that way. Thanks!

JEden8 02-10-2011 05:32 PM

Alright I'll check everything out. I may just get everything black. We'll see though. Waiting on a call from the dealership.

soontobesrt 02-10-2011 08:28 PM

Well if you plan on prepping them and all, Id still bet that you are looking at probably 2-3 hours spraying everything and clearing it so thats like $100-$150 probably in labor pending rates and all that.

Then you are looking at supplies, so for all that its probably another $200-$300 or so in paints and clears etc so still Id bet it would still be $300-$400 if you did all the sanding yourself which will be tough if you want to do right but def can be done.

At $160, Id bet you are going to get a guy who really doesnt care nor does he paint for quality because Macco doesn't deal with people/cars where they need to. They due budget paint jobs for people on a budget which is completely fine, but I dont know how long it will last you let alone how good it will look. I guess for $160 you should go and find out haha and keep us all posted. Maybe your local Macco is a hidden gem! GL either way man :)

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-10-2011 08:52 PM

$160 is way too low seems like they are just going to shoot color on the parts without any prep. i lucked out, i had my grille and air dam painted for free when i had my bumper and side skirt repair done. they did a great job and i will go back there again when i need something bigger done.