Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Question about Sport mode (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/question-about-sport-mode-18633.html)

JF_Inferno 02-09-2011 03:27 PM

Question about Sport mode

For those of you privileged enough to already be cruising in your new rides, what are your opinions of the Sport mode on the select terrain system? Can someone describe for me the feel of the vehicle and the difference it makes in power, mpg etc. Would you drive it in Sport mode the majority of the time? Those with QL, is the suspension difference noticeable? I know in my cars that I have the Sport mode, it holds onto the gear a little longer than necessary and immidiately sending up, I'm burning gas, flags. Also for those who have the V6, does it improve on performance?
Thoughts?

Technosavant 02-09-2011 03:33 PM

Re: Question about Sport mode

What I've found is that initial throttle tip in is more aggressive, it doesn't upshift as quickly (keeping the engine in its powerband, increasing responsiveness to throttle inputs), and so on. The suspension difference is negligible; you don't really notice a half inch on the lift while you're moving, and you'd only notice the drag difference in a wind tunnel.

Generally, I use Sport mode when the weather is decent- if it's raining or snowing, I don't really want the power delivery that biased to the rear of the vehicle.

But yes, if you have the V-6, it does help performance at a minor fuel cost.

justin1569 02-09-2011 04:04 PM

Like the name of the mode suggests, it feels more sporty. It's more responsive and you definitely notice a better pick up off of the line. It is definitely an 80/20 split in terms of torque division to the rear and front but it should save gas shouldn't it while in that mode? It may be just me, but it seems like the suspension may be a bit stiffer in sport mode then while in auto mode, but it doesn't ruin the ride.

Anyways like the previous post, I drive in sport mode whenever I can as I feel that mode is better for daily city driving. As soon as there's snow or rain...I auto it out!

bozer 02-09-2011 04:15 PM

How much does mileage vary when using sport mode?

Nbtstatic 02-09-2011 04:50 PM

I for one, can definitely feel the difference in the QL when dropped to sport mode. If you are flinging it around, it dampens the body roll nicely.

And yea, the throttle also gets crisper. It bothers me though, that the really bright ESC light comes on full time in Sport.

JeepLaw 02-09-2011 05:20 PM

I agree with Nbtstatic - you can feel the QL difference, ride feels stiffer, less roll in a corner. My wife was in the passenger seat and I had it in sport mode on some two lane country roads, and she complained that the ride wasn't as nice, (she was right, she was the passenger - when you have the wheel in hand you don't mind) and she could feel the difference back in auto mode.
Not a huge difference between the two, but noticeable. I have no idea what effect it has on mileage, except that you would be inclined to drive it harder (grins).

GatoLoco 02-09-2011 10:16 PM

What I like about the Sport Mode is the 60/40 torque split. It drives more like a RWD, point-and-shoot, vehical. The steering feels a bit more free without as much drive on the front wheels. I know in "Auto" it goes into aero mode on the highway. But, I like to switch to Sport driving around town.

justin1569 02-10-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatoLoco (Post 352166)
What I like about the Sport Mode is the 60/40 torque split. It drives more like a RWD, point-and-shoot, vehical. The steering feels a bit more free without as much drive on the front wheels. I know in "Auto" it goes into aero mode on the highway. But, I like to switch to Sport driving around town.

you mean 80/20

bwerkma1 02-12-2011 12:58 AM

Hey there, I just ordered my JGC overland 4 days ago and didn't think to try this during my test drives. Quick question can you change modes "on the fly" e.g. While you are driving will it switch modes?

Cherodude 02-12-2011 01:50 AM

Yes, you can change the Selec-Terrain button anytime. It effects transmission shift points (and Quadra-Lift if you have that too) within a second or two.

bwerkma1 02-17-2011 04:57 PM

Thanks for the response Cherodude

moosehead 02-17-2011 05:16 PM

^bwerkma1, that is a bad azz belair.