Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Good Samaritan or the Devil Himself? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/good-samaritan-or-the-devil-himself-18636.html)

moosehead 02-09-2011 04:24 PM

Good Samaritan or the Devil Himself?

This morning before dawn I wake in giddy anticipation of another fluffy 12Ē Rocky Mountain snowstorm with the objective of bagging first tracks on the ski slopes. A quick check on the Winter Park ski conditions hotline and the snow goddess confirms that the God Ullr has blessed us yet again with a big dump overnight, with constant accumulation and cold temps expected through the day. A foot of fresh is still one of the biggest joys in life. One can never get enough virgin turns.

The double bonus, is that I also get to also drive the WK2 Snowbeast over the 11kí Berthoud Pass and its numerous hairpin turns in really nasty conditions to get to the ski hill. Love it. No really, when itís deep and cold and everyone else is snuggling in front of the fire or struggling in a white out, I want to get after it in the Jeep.

The race is on, from powder hounds, to lift operators and ski patrol, to suicide jockeys trying to deliver ethanol to the high country. Unfair advantage Snowbeast, as I dispose of so many 4x rigs, Audis, and front wheel drive rice burners helplessly clad in all season rubber. The Hemi with Firestone Destination ATís makes easy work of multiple car passes in the flakes. Bwaahaaahahhaaahaaa! Get used to seeing tail pipes, youíre in for a similar view of my fat arse on the ski slopes, suckas!

So Iím bearing down on the last hairpin at the bottom of the pass when suddenly a few red brake lights force me to break it down with the manual shift feature. Iím also grateful for the HD brakes, antilock features, and ESC.

As it happens, two SUVís got a little overzealous and slid through the final hairpin and are swamped off the side of the road. Rookies! Canít help but notice that the first rig is a brand spankiní new, Canary Yellow Turbo Cayenne with a well kept Cougar putting on a dramatic stretch pants pose seeking to be rescued. The other is a good family friend and his three small kids, all great skiers and boarders. Good thing I have the tow hooks, D-ring hitch, and a few rescue straps stowed away.

So the big dilemma and question for my fellow JG forum members is: Which vehicle gets rescued by yours truly? The Porsche or my family friend? Tough call, eh?

Nah, itís a no brainer. Thereís no such thing as friends or favors on a Powder Day. Pedal down and drift through the final turn at speed to make the first chair. Mwaaahaaahaaahaaa, see ya suckas!

B.P.O.D 02-09-2011 04:27 PM

Re: Good Samaritan or the Devil Himself?

HAHAHAHA powder is by far the BEST!!!! 1st marks are always THE BEST!!!

Mashie 02-09-2011 04:32 PM

awesome, just awesome!

wjs81866 02-09-2011 04:46 PM

I wish there were more drivers like you.

I worked in Winter Park as a ski instructor back in the late 80's, many memories and too many out of control parties! Lived in Fraser.

Nbtstatic 02-09-2011 04:47 PM

lol, we need pics of the cougar.

TTUMBIO2010 02-09-2011 04:52 PM

Classic!

chibianh 02-09-2011 05:12 PM

great story! I suck at story telling. If i had written this story, it would've been something like this--

Saw a couple of SUVs stuck on the side of the road today while heading to the slopes.. was gonna help them out, but decided to be first on the slopes in stead.

BAM!

Marlin 02-09-2011 05:38 PM

Another excellent read Mooseface :)

You really should write a book of short stories mate :)

Cperez 02-09-2011 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead (Post 351908)
Pedal down and drift through the final turn at speed to make the first chair. Mwaaahaaahaaahaaa, see ya suckas!

Great visuals!! And a nice display of slopeside shrediquette, Moose-style. Can't say as I blame ya.

Chi-One 02-09-2011 08:28 PM

Great story! But......I'm not much for skiing(....flatlander....). But a cougar....:D

lweisenb 02-09-2011 08:32 PM

Pics or it didn't happen :P (Just the cougar... See enough family and kids at home)

soontobesrt 02-09-2011 09:15 PM

Sweet story and all man buttttt I want pics of the Cougar . . . . . orrrrr the Turbo orrrrr GTFO - Thanks :):)

j/k brotha I believe you for suree (sarcasm) (as I sit patiently by the computer only hoping the reverse psychology tactic succeeds and pictures poof onto the screen magically ;)