Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How long does assembly line take start to finish? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-long-does-assembly-line-take-start-to-finish-18642.html)

Jpjr 02-09-2011 06:30 PM

How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
My Jeep is scheduled to get built on 2/17 but I know the RHR radio does not go in until March. I purposely waited until the RHR option became available however and ordered in late January.

Anyone know?

Thanks

JTS97Z28 02-09-2011 08:21 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpjr (Post 352006)
My Jeep is scheduled to get built on 2/17 but I know the RHR radio does not go in until March. I purposely waited until the RHR option became available however and ordered in late January.

Anyone know?

Thanks

If I remember correctly I think I read it takes about 6 to 8 hours to build a new WK2 start to finish. Someone please correct me if im wrong on this. There is a video on youtube showing production and I think thats what one of the workers says.

Just curious how do you know when your Jeep is scheduled to be built? I didnt know any of the tracking offers that information. I thought it only tells you when it gets into D1 status and gives you an approximate delivery date which is not your build date.
Also, is it possible for a WK2 order with the RHR to be built before scheduled mass production of the RHR radio?

James

lweisenb 02-09-2011 08:37 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
At most plants its also not entirely uncommon if just one component is missing to build then pull them into the overflow lot waiting for the part then bring them back in for final assembly, then back out and into the rail/haul lanes. Heck in Detroit most dealers pull the radios out while they are on their lots anyway.

Jpjr 02-09-2011 09:31 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lweisenb (Post 352087)
At most plants its also not entirely uncommon if just one component is missing to build then pull them into the overflow lot waiting for the part then bring them back in for final assembly, then back out and into the rail/haul lanes. Heck in Detroit most dealers pull the radios out while they are on their lots anyway.


I am from Detroit. It is true. The rims are often removed from the vehicle while in the overflow lot :D

lweisenb 02-09-2011 09:40 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpjr (Post 352117)
I am from Detroit. It is true. The rims are often removed from the vehicle while in the overflow lot :D

Yeah also from Detroit, sometime the entire vehicle is removed from the overflow lot.

Or if your BMW we steal the cars you bring to the Auto Show. 3 7-series were stolen last month that were brought in for execs to drive while in town.

JTS97Z28 02-09-2011 10:20 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Wow Detroit sounds like a lovely place lol.

TTUMBIO2010 02-09-2011 10:28 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 352171)
Wow Detroit sounds like a lovely place lol.

They import now :)

LiquidOxygen 02-10-2011 05:03 AM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
If you lads in Detroit wanna send me up a set if the mopar 20s that would be great lol

Doesn't D1 mean that the order has been received and all parts are in? If that's the case his ride could have received a tentative spot on the production line dated 2/17 ? That would also mean that it could be built an inspected within 24 hours and released for shipping. How long it takes to be delivered to the dealer is something else entirely. If it's from Detroit it sounds like you will be lucky if it arrives at all lol

Bmwister 02-10-2011 12:21 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 352171)
Wow Detroit sounds like a lovely place lol.

Yes...they are resourceful there too...they started the car-jacking craze that came to an abrupt end when car-jackers began getting shot by their intended victims; I once stuck one of my 1911s into a car-jacker's face when he and a buddy wanted my wife's 740i at Cobo. There is nothing on the books that changes a criminal's mind like staring down the barrel of a .45 pistol with the hammer cocked.

JTS97Z28 02-10-2011 12:29 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 352474)
Yes...they are resourceful there too...they started the car-jacking craze that came to an abrupt end when car-jackers began getting shot by their intended victims; I once stuck one of my 1911s into a car-jacker's face when he and a buddy wanted my wife's 740i at Cobo. There is nothing on the books that changes a criminal's mind like staring down the barrel of a .45 pistol with the hammer cocked.

Bad ass!!!

Technosavant 02-10-2011 12:48 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmwister (Post 352474)
Yes...they are resourceful there too...they started the car-jacking craze that came to an abrupt end when car-jackers began getting shot by their intended victims; I once stuck one of my 1911s into a car-jacker's face when he and a buddy wanted my wife's 740i at Cobo. There is nothing on the books that changes a criminal's mind like staring down the barrel of a .45 pistol with the hammer cocked.

I love happy endings. The business end of a 1911 is nothing to laugh at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidOxygen (Post 352261)
Doesn't D1 mean that the order has been received and all parts are in?

Nope. Just means it is scheduled for production. That is, they have "sequenced" it with others for the build. A vehicle can be in D1 status for weeks before it actually begins production. When it is sequenced for production, it means they expect to have the parts needed from the suppliers at that time and they'll run a batch through. The actual parts required may not physically be on site and unloaded until just as the vehicle is proceeding down the line; the days of warehouses full of parts waiting on assembly are long gone.

lweisenb 02-10-2011 02:12 PM

Re: How long does assembly line take start to finish?
 
More likely most of the parts for your vehicle wont be at the plant until the day of the build.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community