Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   Dealer PCM flash costs $$ !? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/dealer-pcm-flash-costs-18645.html)

jlewissystem 02-09-2011 07:08 PM

Dealer PCM flash costs $$ !?

I'm sure this has been mentioned/argued in many other threads, but i have to ask/get it off my chest:

I called in to my local dealer to schedule an appt to check current PCM and possibly flash if needed (which seems to be needed from some symptoms) anyway, the gentleman stated that it would be free to check but $60 to flash.

I didnt make the appt, cuz i may look into other options, but wanted to run it by ppl - IS THIS CORRECT - paying for software upkeep on these mean machines, until a tuner is bought? Thanks!

Signed --> :wtf:

robpp 02-09-2011 07:17 PM

Re: Dealer PCM flash costs $$ !?

there are no other options sorry to say; I would add that you should get used to it as vehicles become more computer controlled the dealer holds all the cards.

a tuner wont help you either, FYI

White Chocolate 02-09-2011 07:26 PM

Yes, you need to pay to have a flash clear everything...

Unless you are still covered under warranty, If not you are SOL

jlewissystem 02-09-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 352039)
Yes, you need to pay to have a flash clear everything...

Unless you are still covered under warranty, If not you are SOL

Bummer guys, but thanks~.....well, that begs the question: what about extended warranty?

maxst2 02-09-2011 08:08 PM

Unless you have TSB that requires it to be flashed, your still going to have to pay. Believe some dealerships are charging 100 to 120... so be happy that its only 60$ ;)

jeffs3232 02-09-2011 08:15 PM

This is what I don't get. If the PCM is part of a federal mandate to warrant 8 year/80k warranty, why should Jeep owners have to pay to have a PCM reflashed that is not working properly?!?!?. BUT if the PCM is bad, it's replaced under the federal mandate? Any takers?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-09-2011 08:23 PM

my dealer charges $100 to do updates

fatfreddy 02-09-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs3232 (Post 352065)
This is what I don't get. If the PCM is part of a federal mandate to warrant 8 year/80k warranty, why should Jeep owners have to pay to have a PCM reflashed that is not working properly?!?!?. BUT if the PCM is bad, it's replaced under the federal mandate? Any takers?

If the flash doesn't repair anything you have to pay even with extended warranty.I just went through that today because my MIL light was on due to an EGR fault.The procedure told them to delete the code then test drive and if the light doesn't come back on they are done.I asked why the charge which was $96.60 they said they didn't repair anything so I have to pay.I asked if the codes comes back and they do a repair would I get my money back from the scan,they said I would.A flash is an update not a repair.If your Jeep is running good why would you need a flash ?

jlewissystem 02-09-2011 09:34 PM

I personally want the flash to mitigate possible false positives - "service 4wd system" light. As I've been researching, many ppl suggest updating to the latest PCM flash. Apparently, it's proven to solve that behavior. If the flash actually fixes a "false" service light, I would consider that a break/fix, meaning I shouldn't be getting charged for some bad coding by Chrystler :)

kevin06vino 02-09-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robpp (Post 352029)
there are no other options sorry to say; I would add that you should get used to it as vehicles become more computer controlled the dealer holds all the cards.

a tuner wont help you either, FYI

Can't a Predator update the PCM/TCM? I updated my 05 with the newest DCX

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-09-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlewissystem (Post 352121)
I personally want the flash to mitigate possible false positives - "service 4wd system" light. As I've been researching, many ppl suggest updating to the latest PCM flash. Apparently, it's proven to solve that behavior. If the flash actually fixes a "false" service light, I would consider that a break/fix, meaning I shouldn't be getting charged for some bad coding by Chrystler :)

i had that flash done and it worked, but luckily i had that and all other flashes done under warranty with some other work and it only cost me my deductible.

lll2for3lll 02-09-2011 10:26 PM

I think they did mine for free when I had the transmission fluid changed.