Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Clunk at 42 mph (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/clunk-at-42-mph-18660.html)

2011RitterGC 02-10-2011 08:39 AM

Clunk at 42 mph

Orig posted by Dicephalous -
"I was told there are two models of torque converters available for use in our Jeeps, an old one and a new one. The old one was ordered and placed in my vehicle, it won't fix the problem because the new one is the fix. My dealer was told by Chrysler that the official fix for the shudder is to replace the torque converter with the newer model. But the new torque converter is not available at this time. Why you ask? Great question.........

Answer: Because it has not gone into production and it may be a month before it does.

So basically I have to drive the Jeep, with the shudder, and now an occasional clunk until they make the part to fix my Jeep. I can not even trade this one in if I wanted to get rid of it, because no dealer in their right mind is going to take it. "
======================

Well I have what I would call a clunk at about 42 mph when I give it slight accel. Not WOT. I would not call it shudder. It sounds like the trans (or torque converter) is having problems doing wat it needs to do.

5.7 Hemi, 950 miles

billyp 02-10-2011 04:00 PM

Re: Clunk at 42 mph

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC (Post 352304)
Orig posted by Dicephalous -
"I was told there are two models of torque converters available for use in our Jeeps, an old one and a new one. The old one was ordered and placed in my vehicle, it won't fix the problem because the new one is the fix. My dealer was told by Chrysler that the official fix for the shudder is to replace the torque converter with the newer model. But the new torque converter is not available at this time. Why you ask? Great question.........

Answer: Because it has not gone into production and it may be a month before it does.

So basically I have to drive the Jeep, with the shudder, and now an occasional clunk until they make the part to fix my Jeep. I can not even trade this one in if I wanted to get rid of it, because no dealer in their right mind is going to take it. "
======================

Well I have what I would call a clunk at about 42 mph when I give it slight accel. Not WOT. I would not call it shudder. It sounds like the trans (or torque converter) is having problems doing wat it needs to do.

5.7 Hemi, 950 miles

I get the same occasional 'clunk' about 37MPH under very light throttle,agree,sounds like torque converter issue. So far(4500 mi.) no issue w/shudder.

Rosewood 02-10-2011 04:45 PM

every now and then i get a hard downshift, sounds like it slams the gear

2011RitterGC 02-10-2011 05:03 PM

So this sounds like a different problem than the shudder. It not a bad problem it just sounds bad.

dicephalous 02-10-2011 10:25 PM

But it could possibly be related. The shudder only seems to come when the overdrive gear has taken over, just after the clunk.

Rosewood 02-11-2011 12:30 AM

mine only happens at rapid deceleration. exit the interstate and get on the breaks hard. almost like the rpm was too high for the gear it dropped into

2011RitterGC 02-11-2011 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dicephalous (Post 352945)
But it could possibly be related. The shudder only seems to come when the overdrive gear has taken over, just after the clunk.

I think I good test would be to put the GC in Tow/Haul mode and see if it still does it. I will try it today.

dicephalous 02-13-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC (Post 353141)
I think I good test would be to put the GC in Tow/Haul mode and see if it still does it. I will try it today.

yeah i tried that today too..it was still there....maybe not the overdrive gearing.....

Ken Jacobs 06-26-2011 02:08 PM

I too have the occasional clunk. I have started to use ERS in 5 for around the town driving and only shift to D on the highway. This seems to eliminate the clunk.

gsingh55 06-28-2011 11:37 AM

Clunk might be a good way to describe what I feel too-
I don't think it's a shudder - from what I read I would know if I had a shudder-
but when I drive on the highway between 50-65mph and either give very slight pressure on the accelerator or just cruise, or slow down by lifting off the pedal slightly I get some feedback from the car - I feel in it the steering wheel and I think a clunk is a perfect description.
Didn't really notice it until I had to drive for 4 hours at first I was curious, then it got annoying.

1200RT-P 06-29-2011 10:36 AM

i have the exact same issue. 5.7 4x4. It appears to happen when i let the car roll forward under torque converter power only, then accelerate. The speed seems to have less to do with it than the RPM.Odd that it seems to happen less in sport mode, but that could be me altering my driving style as well.

there was a similar discussion in this thread: (not sure if its the same issue) http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/overland-question-23850.html