Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/anyone-cover-their-egr-on-a-5-7-a-18706.html)

08Hemi 02-11-2011 04:34 AM

Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
I need to install a Catch can, and in my research I see to buy the bracket you would need to cover/cap your EGR outlet/inlet eliminating the line. Anyone do this? What are the advantages and disadvantages? I know there are a lot of other places I can mount it, I just want to match the bracket and CC if possible, and it seems eliminating the EGR may eliminate a little heat-soak on my intake temps :) ...maybe not? :confused: Thanks JG



link for cap

http://www.custombilletstore.com/product_p/5007.htm

from their site

Check out the new Z Mount Billet Technology Catch Can Mount. This bracket makes accessing your catch can a breeze. Works with your 6.1 Hemi including the Jeeps GC SRT8. Also works with the 5.7 Hemi's but only with the Billet Tech EGR Block off (product code 5007) 05-08 only.

Scottina06 02-11-2011 09:44 AM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Brad----I have the billet tech egr block off...you will need the egr delete added to your current cmr tune

08Hemi 02-11-2011 11:17 AM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Thanks Scott...can you tell me a little about what that does? EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculator, right? that is why I am doing this...the CMR! Johan said I have a $hit load of knock, and I should get a catch can, clean my TB and do come more logs. Only used 89 and 91 in my Jeep, so he thinks something needs some "cleaning".

ech0sh4y 02-11-2011 11:19 AM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
I am interested in this as well. Are there any benefits to this other than getting rid of the faulty egr valve? Any performance gains? Long term down-sides?

Is there only the CMR tune that works?

blackpepper 02-11-2011 03:55 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
I had the Z-Bracket ground down to clear the EGR valve.. if you don't grind the bracket, it will hit the EGR valve or as you mentioned, you can opt to buy the kit.

Scottina06 02-11-2011 04:00 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 353223)
Thanks Scott...can you tell me a little about what that does? EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculator, right? that is why I am doing this...the CMR! Johan said I have a $hit load of knock, and I should get a catch can, clean my TB and do come more logs. Only used 89 and 91 in my Jeep, so he thinks something needs some "cleaning".

Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 353224)
I am interested in this as well. Are there any benefits to this other than getting rid of the faulty egr valve? Any performance gains? Long term down-sides?

Is there only the CMR tune that works?


the egr recirculates exhaust gas back into the intake manifold to continue to burn off "bad stuff" that normally would make it to the atmosphere or the cats. Its putting HOT GASES back into your intake air...so yes...it helps to lose that biatch...IMO:thumbsup:

08Hemi 02-11-2011 04:09 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
^^ Thats what I was thinking! thanks Scott, +rep! Can you give me some insight re: the install...is it fairly straight forward?

ech0sh4y 02-11-2011 05:02 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Alright what about programming to turn it off? is the Cmr tune the only one available?

Scottina06 02-11-2011 05:33 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 353480)
^^ Thats what I was thinking! thanks Scott, +rep! Can you give me some insight re: the install...is it fairly straight forward?


unbolt it...bolt the plate on...load tune....LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by ech0sh4y (Post 353528)
Alright what about programming to turn it off? is the Cmr tune the only one available?


diablo predator and a cmr tune from a tuner

08Hemi 02-11-2011 06:10 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
are there two plates; one to close the exit and one to close the return by the throttle body? thats sounds to good/easy to be true :)

blackpepper 02-11-2011 06:42 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
Brad I would be nervous about passing emissions in CA unless you don't mind doing some wrench work before every smog check :)

08Hemi 02-11-2011 07:01 PM

Re: Anyone cover their EGR on a 5.7?
 
I wont have to smog unless I keep her for 5 years...she is only 2 and change now, and I will prolly not have her for 2 more HAHA. But good looking out Ryan


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community