Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Groaning noise after driving with smaller spare tire (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/groaning-noise-after-driving-with-smaller-spare-tire-18707.html)

LimitedStyleJeep 02-11-2011 04:35 AM

Groaning noise after driving with smaller spare tire

Ok So I have 20 inch wheels on my 02 Grand Cherokee.. I had a flat tire and put my regular 17inch spare on. After driving around with it on for a week it started to make a groaning noise from the front end while driving.

When I drive it gets louder the faster I go. The sound goes by the speed of the vehicle and not the RPM

any ideas what may be wrong??

Vandal0068 02-11-2011 08:00 AM

Re: Groaning noise after driving with smaller spare tire

rear end....transmission...wheel bearing...

Frango100 02-11-2011 08:55 AM

I know for Quadra-Drive jeeps that uneven tire wear left/right can cause problems. I can imagine that the same will happen when you have different sizes of wheels installed. The smaller wheel would make more turns then the bigger one, causing the Vari-Loc to engage. If this happens on paved roads for prolonged times, this could damage the Vari-Loc in the diff.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-11-2011 11:27 AM

why would you drive on it for a week? you should have had the tire repaired ASAP

LimitedStyleJeep 02-11-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 353230)
why would you drive on it for a week? you should have had the tire repaired ASAP

It wasnt repairable.. Large piece of scrap metal sliced into it.. And It took a week for the tire shop to get my tire in because of the snow storm we had..

Frango100 02-11-2011 07:41 PM

If you have Quadra-Drive, i would at least check the front diff fluid for signs of metal or any other strange things. And i would definitely not drive anymore with different sizes of wheels.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-11-2011 08:41 PM

and i suggest getting a full size tire as a spare

LimitedStyleJeep 02-11-2011 09:25 PM

I really didnt think it would have been an issue.. the spare wheel and tires is almost the same size of the 20s being that the low profile tire I have on. Its maybe and 1" off.. Both top and bottom.. Ill check the fluid first in the dif

01grand 02-11-2011 09:31 PM

I was told that there is enough difference between older, slightly worn tires vs brand new tires to damage the vari-loc diffs over a few weeks, actually happened to a former co-worker of mine.

TJXJWJ 02-16-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 353699)
I was told that there is enough difference between older, slightly worn tires vs brand new tires to damage the vari-loc diffs over a few weeks, actually happened to a former co-worker of mine.

Yep...doesn't take much of a difference at all to mess it up.