Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Keyless Entry Test (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/keyless-entry-test-18760.html)

computerwiz621 02-12-2011 01:16 PM

Keyless Entry Test

Just a quick FYI to everyone: (Can't remember if someone else already tested this)

I know there was a concern mentioned in an earlier thread that if you are in the Jeep with the doors locked and the FOB is inside, someone could walk up and open the door since the FOB is in range. I decided to test this today. I was sitting in the driver's seat, with the fob in my left pocket. Locked the doors and had a friend walk up and try to unlock by pulling on the door handle. The doors did not unlock. Also using the button on the door handle did not unlock either. So it seems the Jeep knows you are inside with the doors locked and will not allow them to be opened from the outside.

2011RitterGC 02-12-2011 03:49 PM

Re: Keyless Entry Test

Quote:

Originally Posted by computerwiz621 (Post 354014)
Just a quick FYI to everyone: (Can't remember if someone else already tested this)

I know there was a concern mentioned in an earlier thread that if you are in the Jeep with the doors locked and the FOB is inside, someone could walk up and open the door since the FOB is in range. I decided to test this today. I was sitting in the driver's seat, with the fob in my left pocket. Locked the doors and had a friend walk up and try to unlock by pulling on the door handle. The doors did not unlock. Also using the button on the door handle did not unlock either. So it seems the Jeep knows you are inside with the doors locked and will not allow them to be opened from the outside.

It knows if the fob is inside or outside the car.

xj31 02-12-2011 11:56 PM

Re: Keyless Entry Test

There are actually 4 antennas in the jeep so it can tell where the fob is.This is straight from the service info-

The location of a valid FOBIK is critical to the PE and KG features that the PEM will allow. The PEM has the ability to distinguish that a FOBIK is inside or outside of the vehicle. Inside of the vehicle is defined as anywhere within the passenger compartment and up to 10 centimeters (4 inches) from the exterior surfaces of the vehicle. Outside of the vehicle is defined as anywhere within about 10 centimeters (4 inches) and about 1.5 meters (5 feet) and not to exceed 2 meters (6.5 feet) from the exterior surfaces of each unlock switch, but is further differentiated by zones.
The PEM identifies the zone in which the valid FOBIK is located as the active zone, which determines which vehicle aperture becomes accessible. This vehicle has three outside zones: outside left, outside right and outside rear. The PEM will not respond to an input from a zone that is not active. For example: If the outside left zone is active, the PEM will respond to inputs from the left front door smart handle, but not to inputs from the right front door smart handle or from the liftgate unlock switch.