Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Your opinion on Quadra-Trac I (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/your-opinion-on-quadra-trac-i-18791.html)

RageOfFury 02-12-2011 10:36 PM

Your opinion on Quadra-Trac I

For someone that lives in Canada and does 98% pavement(covered in snow/ice during the winter), 1% gravel roads, 1% farm fields, is Quadra-Trac I sufficient?

I'd like to hear your thoughts on QTI

cheers!:)

Mogul 02-12-2011 10:47 PM

Re: Your opinion on Quadra-Trac I

Not meant to sound like a smart ass reply. :)

QT1 will be sufficient until you get stuck and you need the center diff to lock or low range. Personally I would want to have the option.

RageOfFury 02-12-2011 11:12 PM

Well, my 06 Liberty has Selec-trac and I've never had to use 4 Part-Time or 4 LO. Which is why I'm wondering if I should bother getting the off-road adventure group I when I never off-road.

Looking at buying a 4x4 Laredo(non-X).

mjw930 02-13-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 354399)
Well, my 06 Liberty has Selec-trac and I've never had to use 4 Part-Time or 4 LO. Which is why I'm wondering if I should bother getting the off-road adventure group I when I never off-road.

Looking at buying a 4x4 Laredo(non-X).

I think you answered your own question. If you have not had to use 4LO in 5 years and your driving habits haven't changed then you should be fine.

Archer9 02-13-2011 10:10 AM

QT-1 is not a joke. It's very capable for rough roads and light mud, let's say up to 6 inches deep (which is pretty deep and intimidating to look at). If you get stuck in snow on a any kind of road, low range won't save you. But the traction control might. My brother-in-law describes the "road "to my chalet as worse than any trail he's seen in the Rockies. With QT-1 it's not even a concern. I drove the XJ with commandtrac for 16 years and used low range very rarely, and mostly because I thought it was good to give it a workout. Not sure I ever needed it. Ok, maybe one situation: when I had to regularly cross a fairly deep ditch with a raised embankment on both sides.. THAT, I would not try (unless less I had to) with QT-1. (the town had put the ditch there to try discourage us dog trainers...hahahah FAIL). For your type of driving QT-1 will be fine.

RageOfFury 02-13-2011 10:29 AM

I never do mud, nor sand, nor rock climbing. City roads/highways with dirt roads up at the cottage.

I sometimes adventure out into farm fields during hunting season, but I use Selec-trac's 4 Full Time and no issue whatsoever.

So if QTI is like Selec-trac's 4 Full-Time + electronic assistance then that's perfect for me.

Archer9 02-13-2011 10:56 AM

You have to respect the vehicle's limits once you get away from any road. But for the type of driving you describe you won't even be approaching the Jeep's limits. Mogul1 may be a wheeler and is just trying to put the scare on ya based on what can happen when offroading.

RageOfFury 02-13-2011 11:26 AM

Merci Archer9 ;)

I'm in the process of purchasing a WK2(Laredo 4x4), should know by Monday or Tuesday if I can get what I want.

Archer9 02-13-2011 11:30 AM

Good luck, ROF.
Let us know when you get it!

Mogul 02-13-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer9 (Post 354546)
You have to respect the vehicle's limits once you get away from any road. But for the type of driving you describe you won't even be approaching the Jeep's limits. Mogul1 may be a wheeler and is just trying to put the scare on ya based on what can happen when offroading.

Not a wheeler, so don't put words in my mouth. Just pointing out the obvious, you won't need it until you need it. If you venture into muddy farm fields there will come a time that having the center diff lock might come in handy. If, as you say, you keep in mind the limitations it's not a problem.

I have a WJ with Selec Trac and typically never need part time or low, but have used them. Normally on rocky trails or sand that needs low gearing, or part time on icy roads for extra stability. Based on what you said, QT1 will be fine.

Archer9 02-13-2011 03:34 PM

Sorry Mogul if I put words in your mouth. No harm intended. Your point is taken,...I was not thinking of a muddy farm field but more a stubble field as the OP doesn't strike me as the type that would risk driving in a muddy field. And I may be wrong, but I feel more confidant with the QT-1 now than with CT with its locking transfer case. I got stuck more than once with CT in deep snow with one wheel on each axle spinning. I don't think that will happen with QT-1, where as long as you have one wheel on each axle with traction you should in theory be able to go. Of course QT-2 and Lo4 would be better, but the OP didn't describe a condition that I thought would warrant low gear. Just my opinion.

RageOfFury 02-13-2011 04:15 PM

No muddy fields, it's all grass/alfalfa/hay. I also have an ATV which I use for anything really rough or muddy.

I've never used 4LO or 4 Part-Time in the 5 years I've had my Liberty, so...

Anyways, I'll let you guys no more on Monday or Tuesday as I'm gonna hear back from the dealer. ;)