Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - ZJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/)
-   -   what the Blank is going on. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f78/what-the-blank-is-going-on-18793.html)

OffCenter 02-12-2011 11:01 PM

what the Blank is going on.

OK so something new is happening with my 96 ZJ, when its turned to left when the auto lights are on, sometimes (its seems to only happen when its dark) the light go hay wire they start flashing and wont stop until you change it over to normal (meaning all the way to the right). whats going on ? my guess is a bad switch ? and how would i check for a bad switch. A:slapfight:nd would that cause all the lights to blink? and i'm talking interor dash head light and I think even tail lights. and like I said it doesnt happen all the time so it's not like I can have it plugged in and Bam it tell me whats the problem is. thanks for any help

Johnny 02-15-2011 08:14 AM

Re: what the Blank is going on.

Same thing happened to me in my 98 GC this morning. Started the jeep with auto start and I noticed that the headlights weren't on.
When I put the key in and on the headlights & dashlights started blinking. It stoped when I took it off auto lights & put the light switch to normal. I hope someone knows something about this.

1 GRAND 02-15-2011 07:05 PM

Its just the faulty dimmer switch. Touch the dimmer and it will stop flashing, or order a new switch to fix.

Johnny 02-16-2011 05:39 AM

Do you mean the TURN SIGNAL SWITCH -- Also controls high and low beam dimmer, wipers, hazard warning, and windshield washer fluid.
or the slide dimmer switch on the dash that controls the dash lights.

1 GRAND 02-16-2011 05:45 PM

Side dimmer switch. Sorry.

apstang50 02-16-2011 07:26 PM

Pretty sure when the dimmer switch is causing it it's just the dash lights that mess up. If all the outside lights are doing it I'd say it's the switch. I've heard of the auto setting doing some weird things.

1 GRAND 02-16-2011 07:32 PM

On auto every light on the Jeep flashes like someone is trying to steal it. Just touch the interior light dimmer switch and it will stop flashing until it fudges up again lol.

apstang50 02-17-2011 11:14 AM

The dimmer switch has nothing to do with the out side lights. It's the head light switch.

Johnny 02-17-2011 06:07 PM

On mine Headlights & Dash lights were flashing and I guess the tail light to I wasn't behind the jeep to see it.
It's only when it is in the auto light position.
I guess I'll play it safe and change both switchs.
I had a problem with the interior lights awhile ago.
They were staying on after I used the slide dimmer switch.
Fixed that by changing the drivers side door switch.
Thanks for the advice I'll let you know what happens.

1 GRAND 02-17-2011 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apstang50 (Post 358027)
The dimmer switch has nothing to do with the out side lights. It's the head light switch.

I can't help that, but I touch the dimmer switch every day of my life to get mine to stop flashing. I will gladly get you a video.

apstang50 02-19-2011 11:56 AM

Are your outside lights flashing?

Johnny 02-19-2011 04:31 PM

Headlights & Dash lights were flashing if it's in the autolights position.