Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/off-road-adventure-ii-package-tires-18815.html)

VermontHobbit 02-13-2011 02:07 PM

Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Our Overland with the ORA II package was delivered with Michelin Latitude Tour tires, which are characterized by Michelin as an All Season SUV/Crossover tire. :mad:

The Jeep info, and the window sticker clearly state "P265/60R18 OWL On/Off Road Tires". I was expecting something like the LTX A/T 2, which is a much more expensive tire.

Are the Latitude Tours what everyone else with the ORA II package received? I'll be following up with the dealer Monday.

JayB 02-13-2011 02:19 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Yup. I have those on my Laredo X w/ ORAII and Quadra Lift. Tires look like garbage and from what people say.... aren't worth anything in the snow.

I'm also not a big fan of the 18" painted wheels.
Thinking about upgrading to a more aggressive AT wheel/tire combo. Not sure about 17" or 18"....
I have lots of questions about what wheel/tire could fit... but that's another story.

-Jay

chibianh 02-13-2011 02:37 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
yep.. ORAII group comes with Latitude Tours. They're not bad tires for what they are, but i went ahead and swapped them out for some ATs that were a little bit bigger.

VermontHobbit 02-13-2011 02:44 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Well, at least ours came with the promised polished aluminum wheels.

I seem to recall our '02 with the "Upcountry" package came with some Goodyear A/T tire... not that it matters now.

Cherodude 02-13-2011 04:28 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
You are right. The Michelin LTX A/T 2 would have been a much better fit with the ORGII package. Wouldn't hurt to mention this to your dealer (I have to mine).
IMO Jeep should not be watering down their off-road capabilities, and tires are a big part of that.

KarlG 02-13-2011 05:00 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
First thing I did (well 17 miles after leaving the dealer's actually) was to switch the tires and there started the ordeal. 17 inch Ronin wheels with lovely 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak tires would not fit. They do NOT clear the calipers on the Hemi equipped OVL. They MAY clear the calipers on a Pentastar engined WK2 dunno? Goodyear Duratrak 285/65R18 will NOT fit because of tire contact both in the wells and almost touching the bolt from the upper ball joint. Settled for Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60R18. They have been pretty decent but would have preferred the Duratraks had they fit.

VermontHobbit 02-13-2011 05:22 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 354783)
First thing I did (well 17 miles after leaving the dealer's actually) was to switch the tires and there started the ordeal. 17 inch Ronin wheels with lovely 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak tires would not fit. They do NOT clear the calipers on the Hemi equipped OVL. They MAY clear the calipers on a Pentastar engined WK2 dunno? Goodyear Duratrak 285/65R18 will NOT fit because of tire contact both in the wells and almost touching the bolt from the upper ball joint. Settled for Goodyear Silent Armor 265/60R18. They have been pretty decent but would have preferred the Duratraks had they fit.

Back in the day before really large diameter wheels were fitted for bling purposes, a larger diameter was usually an indication of bigger brakes, a desire for a lower sidewall, or both.

So what you are saying about the 17s makes total sense.

Technosavant 02-13-2011 06:14 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by KarlG (Post 354783)
First thing I did (well 17 miles after leaving the dealer's actually) was to switch the tires and there started the ordeal. 17 inch Ronin wheels with lovely 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrak tires would not fit. They do NOT clear the calipers on the Hemi equipped OVL. They MAY clear the calipers on a Pentastar engined WK2 dunno?

17" rims will PROBABLY clear the rotors on a Pentastar WK2. As near as I can tell, the Hemi package is what gets you the HD brakes, so 17" rims should fit. Personally, I'd probably not buy the wheels before trying a test fit, but I think they'll work.

xmonger 02-13-2011 07:28 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VermontHobbit (Post 354698)
Well, at least ours came with the promised polished aluminum wheels.

I seem to recall our '02 with the "Upcountry" package came with some Goodyear A/T tire... not that it matters now.


Back in '02 the most aggressive tire they put on the WJ was the GY SRA. (Also a hwy type tire.)

I don't think Jeep has ever put a true A/T tire on anything other than a Wrangler. :(

Cherodude 02-13-2011 09:39 PM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
1 Attachment(s)
My last XJ came with Goodyear Wrangler HP tires as standard equipment. Not a full All-Terrain, but they had a reasonably aggressive tread, not a touring tire. I would have preferred something closer to that.

jeepo 03-17-2011 10:21 AM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VermontHobbit (Post 354681)
Our Overland with the ORA II package was delivered with Michelin Latitude Tour tires, which are characterized by Michelin as an All Season SUV/Crossover tire. :mad:

The Jeep info, and the window sticker clearly state "P265/60R18 OWL On/Off Road Tires". I was expecting something like the LTX A/T 2, which is a much more expensive tire.

Are the Latitude Tours what everyone else with the ORA II package received? I'll be following up with the dealer Monday.

My new overland also came with Michelin touring tires in the adventure package. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth asking for a credit since the package was supposed to come with off/on road tires instead which I believe are much more expensive. What was the result of speaking with your dealer?

77rednecktruck 03-17-2011 10:30 AM

Re: Off-Road Adventure II Package Tires
 
I have a Laredo X package with the ORA II and a Hemi and it came with the Latitudes. I had my Jeep off roading in the mud a little bit already and the tires did just fine. It was nothing crazy and only some mud and some slippery muddy hills but they did good. When these wear out I will be probably getting the Nitto Terra-Grappler tires, I like how they look. I don't know about wheels though, I don't like any of the wheels on Tire Rack when they are displayed on the vehicle. Hopefully in a few years when I am ready, they have more wheels and maybe a lift available for some bigger tires.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community