Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Seafoam Throttle Body/Intake Cleaner (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/seafoam-throttle-body-intake-cleaner-18823.html)

08Hemi 02-13-2011 03:48 PM

Seafoam Throttle Body/Intake Cleaner

Johan recommended I clean out my intake with some Seafoam cleaner. Has anyone used this product? I have it and the instructions make sense, but I am worried about our Mass Air Flow sensor on the 5.7L...isn't it behind the throttle blade? The guy at autozone and the package clearly state do not get on the Mass AF Sensor...any tips??? :thumbsup:

blackpepper 02-13-2011 03:58 PM

Re: Seafoam Throttle Body/Intake Cleaner

Unhook the battery and then remove the sensor before you start cleaning. Have you looked into the TB.. is it actually dirty?

08Hemi 02-13-2011 04:08 PM

just did...VERY! there is a layer of what appears to be oil on the back of the throttle balde. What do I use to get that off? Thanks Ryan...but to use the seafoam I have to have the engine running and spray it into the TB as I rev is at 1500 for 5 mins, spraying for 2-3 mins or a half a can. I don't want to fawk anything up!!!!

blackpepper 02-13-2011 04:14 PM

Shows what I know!

I still don't think it's a good idea because of this information from wkjeeps:
Quote:

THE THROTTLE BODY ***CANNOT BE CLEANED,*** DO NOT USE SPRAY CLEANERS OR APPLY SILICONE LUBRICANTS TO ANY PART OF THE THROTTLE BODY. These types of products can damage the throttle body components. The throttle body has no serviceable components and is replaced as an assembly.

08Hemi 02-13-2011 04:32 PM

oh shit! thanks ryan...guess I will be returning the seafoam! I just cleaned the throttle blade with some water and a towel, got off the majority of the build-up...so can others confirm that the seafoam is NOT to be used on an 08 wk 5.7L?

blackpepper 02-13-2011 05:37 PM

Noooooooooo problem.. I checked mine about a year ago and it was spotless.. what filter do you have on your intake?

08Hemi 02-13-2011 05:48 PM

k&n...came with my BWoody. I think I am going to switch to an amsoil dry bad boy :)

so I am still wondering if I can use this seafoam???? This is not TB cleaner, rather cleans carbon deposit build-ups on the intake, and cleans the intake valves and pistons of carbon. I really want to do this as Johan thinks this will cure some of the knock i have...has anyone done this?? I did wipe off the throttle blade as there was a lot of build-up on there...I assume that is not normal/good? Is that from my oil K&N filter? Is there anyhting else I can do besides wipe if off? +rep for assistance (I tried dropping u rep Ryan, but I gotta spread it around haha)

Walt 02-13-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 354738)
Johan recommended I clean out my intake with some Seafoam cleaner. Has anyone used this product? I have it and the instructions make sense, but I am worried about our Mass Air Flow sensor on the 5.7L...isn't it behind the throttle blade? The guy at autozone and the package clearly state do not get on the Mass AF Sensor...any tips??? :thumbsup:

You do not have a Mass Airflow Sensor. '08 Jeep HEMI's use an Inlet Air Temp (IAT) sensor (before the throttle body) and a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor at the aft end of the intake manifold. From these 2 inputs, the computer algorithm deduces mass air flow and sets the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio via the fuel injectors.

Clean the back side of the throttle body butterfly plate and the area behind it with a soft cloth (old cotton t-shirt is perfect) and a mild solvent (like isopropyl alcohol). Be gentle.

I've never felt comfortable flushing all of the intake manifold crud buildup through my intake runners, the inlet valve passages, and into the O2 sensors / catalytic converter. I have read that other members swear by Seafoam and they have told of increased engine performance after using it.

This is just a personal preference and observation. I'm having wierd intermittent issues with my O2 sensors and cats. Don't want to introduce anything to make it worse.

BTW: My MAP sensor diaphragm was caked with carbon crud after ~55K miles.

My 2 cents worth.

blackpepper 02-13-2011 06:00 PM

I run the 91 tune from Diablo an intermittently get the code P 013A

jeepgcoman 02-13-2011 06:02 PM

These things don't have a Mass Air Flow Sensor as they (Chrysler) uses a Speed Density System on all their vehicles. It's really too bad too, as the Mass Arflow System is generally accepted as being better due to its more precise fuel metering. The Speed Density System works off preprogrammed setting based on sensor inputs.

The only Sensor in the intake system (up front) is the Intake Air Sensor (IAT) which is located right by the airbox. There is an Idle Air Control Motor built onto the throttle body, which uses a stepper motor to regulate airflow through a passage in the body. This is what controls idle speed.

You shouldn't have any trouble cleaning the TB, as long as your careful and treat it delicately, being sure not to get any cleaner into the electronics. You should also (to be safe) use a mild cleaner, such as rubbing alcohol. Have you looked into the plenum behind the TB? It is also probably very contaminated and possibly even puddling with the oily crap. You may want to consider getting a catch can to eliminate this problem in the future.

08Hemi 02-13-2011 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt (Post 354823)
You do not have a Mass Airflow Sensor. '08 Jeep HEMI's use an Inlet Air Temp (IAT) sensor (before the throttle body) and a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor at the aft end of the intake manifold. From these 2 inputs, the computer algorithm deduces mass air flow and sets the stoichiometric air-fuel ratio via the fuel injectors.

Clean the back side of the throttle body butterfly plate and the area behind it with a soft cloth (old cotton t-shirt is perfect) and a mild solvent (like isopropyl alcohol). Be gentle.

I've never felt comfortable flushing all of the intake manifold crud buildup through my intake runners, the inlet valve passages, and into the O2 sensors / catalytic converter. I have read that other members swear by Seafoam and they have told of increased engine performance after using it.

This is just a personal preference and observation. I'm having wierd intermittent issues with my O2 sensors and cats. Don't want to introduce anything to make it worse.

BTW: My MAP sensor diaphragm was caked with carbon crud after ~55K miles.

My 2 cents worth.

Thanks Walt great info +rep...I have 21k miles now, but based on my data-logs I have some serious knock, which is why the Seafoam was recommended. I has a feeling we didn't has a Mass Airflow sensor, and had heard the MAP thing before...and I extended the IAT for my BWoody intake. So you are not onboard with the Seafoam, but you do know others that swear by it? I think my engine is in need, so I want to clean her out of it will help. Thanks again for the great info...

Ryan - what is that code?

08Hemi 02-13-2011 06:07 PM

and the catch can is what was recommended too...so i will be getting one of those as well!