Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Oil cap missing! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/oil-cap-missing-18850.html)

Overland-North 02-14-2011 12:59 AM

Oil cap missing!

So I picked up my new 2011 Overland last Thursday. I've put about 300 km on it. I love it! I was at my friends tonight and opened the hood for the first time since driving it off the lot to look at the engine and to my surprise the oil cap is missing!! You can see where some oil has splashed out onto the plastic engine cover. I checked the oil level and it seems to be ok. But seeing as its been snowing and raining here the roads are crap and covered in wet slush. I'm concerned about how long the cap has been missing and whether moisture and road debris/grime has made it's way into my engine. I've covered the fill tube now and will be going to the dealer first thing in the morning.
I'm guessing the cap was put on and never turned. I'm unimpressed to say the least.

violant00 02-14-2011 01:01 AM

Re: Oil cap missing!

Damn that's crazy...shoulda checked it before leaving! then again i prolly wouldnt have either with the excitement and all.

and ofcourse for that crap theres no excuse that it would be missing!

Scottina06 02-14-2011 01:01 AM

probably a pre-sale check and someone left the cap off.....pretty dumb.

Overland-North 02-14-2011 01:09 AM

Funny thing is that the salesman and I popped the hood the morning of the sale as it was brought in from another dealer and he hadn't looked under the hood of one yet. So the cap was there Thursday morning. I'm guessing it was just sitting in place at that point. I have no idea why the cap would have been removed or loosened unless it came from the factory that way.
I'm glad we both looked under the hood because I at least have a time line for how long the caps been missing. I might request the dealer change the oil since I've never touched the oil cap or the engine for that matter. I feel as the Jeep is so new that the responsibility falls to them and I'd like to be sure I'm running clean oil.

Hogs 02-14-2011 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overland-North (Post 355203)
So I picked up my new 2011 Overland last Thursday. I've put about 300 km on it. I love it! I was at my friends tonight and opened the hood for the first time since driving it off the lot to look at the engine and to my surprise the oil cap is missing!!

Bro' that sucks, and I hate that for you. Make sure you do that oil change asap. I'd also 'strongly request' free oil changes at the dealership. Whether it was the dealership or the plant's fault is not your concern, let them work out who pays for it. Bottom line is you are more than entilted to free oil changes, at the very least.

And assuming you get that first oil change asap, I'd probably change the filter within another 500 km. Then the next oil and filter change I'd do at 1000 km. From there I'd go back to regularly scheduled oil/filter changes.

Make sure you get the details documented on your work order. Keep your copy! Just in case anything were to come up down the road.

Cherodude 02-14-2011 08:26 AM

Do you mean the round cap in the V6 plastic engine cover? That is just an access port. Under it is the oil filter, which requires a socket tool to remove. Was the oil filter still in place and tight?

Edit: OK, I'm pretty sure you mean the oil filler cap on the driver's side of the engine cover. Yeah, that could fall off if it was left untightened after a top-up at the dealer.

Overland-North 02-14-2011 10:18 AM

Yup. It's the oil filler cap. I have a strip of duct tape run across it now to keep debris out and oil in. I'm just taking the wife to work then off to the dealer.

Overland-North 02-14-2011 02:06 PM

Ha! So the dealer says they've never seen any issues arise from this. So they didn't change thd oil. I told him to document my request and their response on the work order.

AAAA 02-14-2011 02:11 PM

Ive seen it before. Picked up fleet car (Malibu) in 2009. Smelled slight burning smell when stopped at lights. Thought it was spilled oil buring off. After 2 weeks took it back to dealer. Oil filler cap was just resting there on the filler tube. Tightened it down. No further issue.

LiquidOxygen 02-14-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overland-North (Post 355524)
Ha! So the dealer says they've never seen any issues arise from this. So they didn't change thd oil. I told him to document my request and their response on the work order.

Take it to another dealer an have the oil and filter changed ASAP!! Also have them record why and the fact that the other dealer wouldn't do it