Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   Powder Coating Question (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/powder-coating-question-18852.html)

dogface_313 02-14-2011 06:10 AM

Powder Coating Question

I don't have a WK2 yet. However i plan on purchasing a Laredo X 4x4 before i get home as a present for myself.

With that in mind I also plan on the WK2 being Black on black and I also want to black out all the chrome/metal that comes on the truck. I have been doing some research and people suggest that powder coating wheels can be dangerous. especially aluminum wheels. Now they specifically say forged wheels, because of the baking process "over aging" the metal.

From what I have gathered the 18" aluminum wheels that come on the X package are cast. Does anybody know for sure if powder coating a wheels such as this is safe, or could you point me towards somebody in the industry who could answer this. I can't imagine the low heat (400ish degrees) can compare to the casting process, but i don't want to become a headline because of my own ignorance.

Another option is painting the wheels with a clear coat finish. Anybody have experience with this?

I plan on going black on the wheels, grille, side/back jeep symbols, would like to black out the headlight(not the actual headlight cover but inside and get rid of amber reflector), match the front tint to the back. I think this truck is set up perfectly to be blacked out. Not going to be matte black, probably going to stick with a flat gloss for wheels and try to match the body paint as closely as possible for everything else. I love the look of the SEMA off road grille.

1BAMFR 02-14-2011 07:11 AM

Re: Powder Coating Question

Contact Mike @ Bwoody Performance for any powdercoating wheel questions. They powdercoat everything in house all day everyday.

Scottina06 02-14-2011 11:59 AM

I am a metallurgist...with tons of aluminum experience. My current job is with the largest aluminum company in the world. They will be fine.....400 degrees is nothing for aluminum.

mrpositraction 02-14-2011 12:28 PM

I have nothing to add after the last post.....who is going to trump that :)

dogface_313 02-14-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 355409)
I am a metallurgist...with tons of aluminum experience. My current job is with the largest aluminum company in the world. They will be fine.....400 degrees is nothing for aluminum.

That is what i thought. I am a Mechanical Engineer by degree and nothing in my knowledge base makes me think that this process will affect anything. Heat treating of metals occurs at much higher temperatures.

franco1961 02-17-2011 11:26 AM

The only big issue for painting aluminum with powder coating is the preparation before painting.
Than the painted pieces need take rest for around 20 minutes at 200C (400F)
“Aluminum 2014” (is the one used for wheels) will melt at around 600C (1100F) this number is far away from 200C (400F)
The aging for make harder the aluminum wheels is around at 170C (340C) for 10 hours.
The result: 200C for 20 minutes is nothing for the aluminum, just able to make harder the paint.
My 2 cents.

4th Cherokee 02-18-2011 08:35 PM

I would never powder coat a forged wheel and the cost to strip and powder coat wheel is in the 150-250 range.

dogface_313 02-19-2011 12:14 AM

All the prices I have seen have been around 65ish. Also the wheels on the new WK2 are cast i believe.