Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Shudder Problem Clarification (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/shudder-problem-clarification-18862.html)

Hollywood 02-14-2011 11:44 AM

Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Is the "shudder problem situation" just on 6 cyl models? My dealer told me that's the case, and that he has had 0 V8 Overlands come back with any problems.

dogface_313 02-14-2011 12:05 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Nope, the shudder is on the V8 Hemi. there is speculation that it is credited to the torque converter. As of right now there is supposed to be a "new" one coming but it is not in production last i heard.

bpmcgee 02-14-2011 12:46 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Your dealer is blowing smoke up your tailpipe.

ehorst 02-14-2011 12:49 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
I thought the shudder was only on the V8 and not on the V6. right?

Nbtstatic 02-14-2011 12:58 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Shudder Poll:

http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/poll-for-members-with-at-least-1-000-miles-15298.html

mjw930 02-14-2011 01:20 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Ok, my 2 cents here.

Hollywood, you need to chill. I know exactly what's going through your mind, don't go there. You need to come to your own conclusion with your own vehicle as to whether there's a problem or not.

The issues people are having here are certainly real but not all that exceptional based on years of reports regarding the 5.7 MDS Hemi + 545 trans combo in the older WK's as well as the Ram 1500 and 300C. Do some research on some large Dodge and Ram forums before coming to any conclusions, it's in your best interest.

You really need to form your own conclusion once yours comes in because what may be unacceptable to one person may not even be noticeable to another. It doesn't mean the first person is wrong, just that each person has a certain tolerance for things which might explain why some here are having their brand new Jeeps torn apart while others are content to wait and see what Jeep does about this and a larger group aren't having any issue at all.

It's also likely that this pre-existing condition might get a lot more visibility in he WK2 community since I suspect it's a different buyer than the Ram 1500. What may be acceptable to them may not fly for the "flagship" of the Chrysler/Jeep lineup owner.

Hollywood 02-14-2011 01:26 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Thanks. Makes sense. :thumbsup:

jonesark 02-14-2011 02:15 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Not to ask a stupid question, but what exactly in the "shudder" problem I read about on here everyday!

jp467 02-14-2011 02:23 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
There clearly is a shutter problem on at least some V-8 models. I think it's the type of problem that is not subjective. If it shutters that is something no vehicle should do. I really don't understand why mjw930 keeps trying to explain it away. I would agree that some people may not notice it, but that doesn't mean they don't have a problem. I have seen people drive vehicles with grinding wheel bearing so loud that you could not hear yourself think and they would say what noise when asked about it. I had an 06 grand cherokee hemi and it never shuttered and if it did I would notice. It did have a very annoying drone at 45mph that others that drove it did not notice. I do know that if a torque converter is shuttering this is slipage in the converter and will reduce the life of it not to mention that shutter is being sent through the drivetrain. If there was no issue they would not be putting out tsb's and redesigned torque conveters. This however would not stop me from buying one of these jeeps as I think it is a world class vehicle that just needs a few of these minor details ironed out.

mjw930 02-14-2011 02:37 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 355541)
There clearly is a shutter problem on at least some V-8 models. I think it's the type of problem that is not subjective. If it shutters that is something no vehicle should do. I really don't understand why mjw930 keeps trying to explain it away. I would agree that some people may not notice it, but that doesn't mean they don't have a problem. I have seen people drive vehicles with grinding wheel bearing so loud that you could not hear yourself think and they would say what noise when asked about it. I had an 06 grand cherokee hemi and it never shuttered and if it did I would notice. It did have a very annoying drone at 45mph that others that drove it did not notice. I do know that if a torque converter is shuttering this is slipage in the converter and will reduce the life of it not to mention that shutter is being sent through the drivetrain. If there was no issue they would not be putting out tsb's and redesigned torque conveters. This however would not stop me from buying one of these jeeps as I think it is a world class vehicle that just needs a few of these minor details ironed out.

Just to clarify, I'm not trying to explain it away. I don't deny that it exists, there's too much evidence to the contrary.

I'm just trying to point out that not all the reports of shudder may be for the same thing. Maybe they are but that's not what I glean from reading all the threads on the topic. My point to Hollywood was to try and help him see all angles of the issue. I could sense through his posts that this is really starting to get to him and I think putting things into perspective can help.

I also agree that this isn't something that would stop me from buying a V8 WK2, I have one ordered and on it's way to the dealer as I type and I have no reservations taking delivery of it.

Breitling65 02-14-2011 03:12 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 355394)
My dealer told me that's the case, and that he has had 0 V8 Overlands come back with any problems.

I love these Jeep dealers ... :) Could anyone at any place say something good about any of them?

mjw930 02-14-2011 03:21 PM

Re: Shudder Problem Clarification
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breitling65 (Post 355572)
I love these Jeep dealers ... :) Could anyone at any place say something good about any of them?

Oh, if I had a dollar for every service manager or customer support rep over the years who told me, "you are the first one reporting this problem" I wouldn't need to finance my WK2 :lol:

It's far from a Jeep only issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community