Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   WK2 Quality Control (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/wk2-quality-control-18901.html)

Hollywood 02-15-2011 08:25 AM

WK2 Quality Control

I watched this, was greatly impressed, but then wondered.....how is it possible that something as apparently wide-spread as the much talked about "shudder issue" is not caught "pre-production"??

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAOAyk7_QQ

OneCent 02-15-2011 09:14 AM

Re: WK2 Quality Control

you can test as much as you want, mass production and real life is different.

JoeSchmoe007 02-15-2011 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 356065)
I watched this, was greatly impressed, but then wondered.....how is it possible that something as apparently wide-spread as the much talked about "shudder issue" not caught "pre-production"??

Check it out:

I've been wondering the same. It just doesn't make sense. In poll on this forum it seems about a third of HEMI owners already have this problem. Note that the car is still new.

Hollywood 02-15-2011 10:41 AM

So the other way to look at it, is two thirds of owners don't have the problem?

I would think if there was an issue with the Torque Converter, that it would be consistent throughout the line??

mjw930 02-15-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 356145)

I would think if there was an issue with the Torque Converter, that it would be consistent throughout the line??

Be careful, you don't want to try and explain away the problem like I was accused of doing ;)

JoeSchmoe007 02-15-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 356145)

I guess the better way to look at it is to say two thirds of HEMI owners don't have the problem YET.

In past post by Milous where he first mentioned Torgue Converter the wording in the Star case was something along the line "some cars may experience this". What that means exactly we can only guess. One of the possibilities is that only some current torque converters are faulty. But if this is the case then why is there a need for a new TC part (that is still not available)?

Libre 02-15-2011 11:05 AM

Inspection is only 80% effective unless is 100% in which case they would have found it.

I am impress with the reliability testing, but at the same time, some intermittent failures are alwasy hard to find.

I do wich they would have increased the number of cars they tested this way but I guess it is hard to do with the amount of money that it is involve.

JTS97Z28 02-15-2011 11:11 AM

Thats pretty cool thanks for posting it up.

Nbtstatic 02-15-2011 11:12 AM

Well, judging by people on this forum who say the WK Hemi had this same issue, and Hemi Ram trucks had this same issue, I wouldn't think it would be a matter of wether it was 'caught' or not, you know they are aware. If it's gone on for this long, they must just not consider it a problem?

I for one, find it slightly ironic that the first production year Pentastar is cruising along silky smooth, and the time tested Hemi shaking and shuddering. They need to get this crap under control.

NB

pbalias 02-15-2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 356065)
I watched this, was greatly impressed, but then wondered.....how is it possible that something as apparently wide-spread as the much talked about "shudder issue" is not caught "pre-production"??

Check it out:

Or the HVAC's erratic blower motor operation. :(

Hollywood 02-15-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nbtstatic (Post 356170)
t for one, find it slightly ironic that the first production year Pentastar is cruising along silky smooth, and the time tested Hemi shaking and shuddering. They need to get this crap under control.NB

I don't think that's entirely true. One of the TSB's released, referred to a "shudder" in the Pentastar as well, but it was on deceleration rather than acceleration.

Technosavant 02-15-2011 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 (Post 356162)
I guess the better way to look at it is to say two thirds of HEMI owners don't have the problem YET.

In past post by Milous where he first mentioned Torgue Converter the wording in the Star case was something along the line "some cars may experience this". What that means exactly we can only guess. One of the possibilities is that only some current torque converters are faulty. But if this is the case then why is there a need for a new TC part (that is still not available)?

It could be an issue of tolerance stacking- the parts are within tolerances, but they way things line up sometimes means some vehicles will have the problem, others won't. It could be an issue of it being there to a varying degree- one vehicle has very minor shudder and the driver doesn't notice, one has it to a horrible degree.

While it is apparent this is a result of the current torque converter they're using, I don't know that anybody has yet said exactly what about the TC is causing it. I am wondering if it's just one of those things that happens sometimes. It obviously isn't all that rare, but neither is it a given that all vehicles will suffer from it.

Furthermore, if you're looking for a problem, you're more likely to feel one; that's just psychology. That can mean that minor incidences of shudder (others may have much more shudder) are noticed where they might otherwise not be.