Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   To Plasti-Dip or Not to Plasti-Dip (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/to-plasti-dip-or-not-to-plasti-dip-18977.html)

raider91e 02-16-2011 06:04 PM

To Plasti-Dip or Not to Plasti-Dip

2 Attachment(s)
So, my WK2 is about two months old and I was looking into buying the OEM black mopars for my ride. I like how they look, but I like the design of my 18's better. After some research and reading some other people's work using Plasti-Dip, I was entertaining the idea and did a little photoshopping to see how it would look. I think it'd look pretty decent, considering if I don't like it, I can always peel it off in the end. I wanted to get people's opinion on the issue. I attached the pics before and after. Let me know what you guys think.

dogface_313 02-17-2011 04:23 AM

Re: To Plasti-Dip or Not to Plasti-Dip

Absolutely. I have started doing research on getting them powder coated vs painted vs plastdip. One of the first things i am going to do once i get it along with the grille etc..

DAVY27 02-17-2011 09:09 AM

i think it looks great. but im not sure how easily it can be removed if you dont like it

Devilsmed98 02-17-2011 10:48 AM

Do it man! I'm sure you've seen my thread if you've done some research but I'll throw it up again. http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/plasti-dipped-wheels-15255.html

I did mine in Novemember and it's still holding up great. Granted I should have taken some more time on it, and maybe learned some technique before I did it. Only spot that is tricky is the lips of the wheel. You can see the chrome in some spots of it. For $12 it has far exceeded my expectations.

And honestly, I've been dying to see my mom's white WKII with the 20"s painted black. Next time she's away for a couple days I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

machinanyc 02-17-2011 12:16 PM

YES YES YES!!! DO IT. I love this stuff. I've used it on a bunch of stuff and it peels off easily. The wheels look sick!

raider91e 02-17-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilsmed98 (Post 358009)
Do it man! I'm sure you've seen my thread if you've done some research but I'll throw it up again. http://www.jeepgarage.org/showthread.php?t=15255

I did mine in Novemember and it's still holding up great. Granted I should have taken some more time on it, and maybe learned some technique before I did it. Only spot that is tricky is the lips of the wheel. You can see the chrome in some spots of it. For $12 it has far exceeded my expectations.

And honestly, I've been dying to see my mom's white WKII with the 20"s painted black. Next time she's away for a couple days I'm gonna pull the trigger on it.

i might tape up the lip to make it look like the MOPARs...i think itd look awesome to leave a little bit of a silver color to match the chrome moldings on the doors and the windows, as well as the logo and the lugs....on another note, have you tried to peel the plasti-dip off of anything else? or a section where it couldnt be seen? My only concern was the removal

flyin_dutchman 02-19-2011 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raider91e (Post 358115)
i might tape up the lip to make it look like the MOPARs...i think itd look awesome to leave a little bit of a silver color to match the chrome moldings on the doors and the windows, as well as the logo and the lugs....on another note, have you tried to peel the plasti-dip off of anything else? or a section where it couldnt be seen? My only concern was the removal

Thank you for the photo shop job Raider! I was really wondering what my 18s would look like black, cause I was 'considering' powdercoat, but not after all the plasti dip talk! I'm so stoked :headbang:! It's reversible too!.........Can I get an AMEN brotha! I really like the lugs and center left chrome as you showed, so I am gonna do that! It will really offset my white WK2!

flyin_dutchman 02-19-2011 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machinanyc (Post 358077)
YES YES YES!!! DO IT. I love this stuff. I've used it on a bunch of stuff and it peels off easily. The wheels look sick!

One question for the wheels...I got using the cards thing around outside for overspray, but what about the inside? How do you keep it from getting on the inside and looking crappy? Cardboard cut out 'plug' comes to mind, but do I even have to worry about it? :confused:

raider91e 02-19-2011 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_dutchman (Post 359920)
Thank you for the photo shop job Raider! I was really wondering what my 18s would look like black, cause I was 'considering' powdercoat, but not after all the plasti dip talk! I'm so stoked :headbang:! It's reversible too!.........Can I get an AMEN brotha! I really like the lugs and center left chrome as you showed, so I am gonna do that! It will really offset my white WK2!

I know...i love the look too...looks SICK...im debating whether to leave it matte, or to give it a gloss finish...i like the look of the matte finish...looks like a prototype wheel or something out of R&D....regarding the inside...there's two techniques I've seen...one is to stuff plastic bags inside the rim to cover the rotor and calipers...another is to just completely remove the wheel and paint it...I don't want to have to put the wheels back on so what im going to do is to tape the inside of the rim and then stuff the inside with plastic that way overspray doesnt seep into the rim or outside the lip of the rim.

flyin_dutchman 02-20-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raider91e (Post 359956)
I know...i love the look too...looks SICK...im debating whether to leave it matte, or to give it a gloss finish...i like the look of the matte finish...looks like a prototype wheel or something out of R&D....regarding the inside...there's two techniques I've seen...one is to stuff plastic bags inside the rim to cover the rotor and calipers...another is to just completely remove the wheel and paint it...I don't want to have to put the wheels back on so what im going to do is to tape the inside of the rim and then stuff the inside with plastic that way overspray doesnt seep into the rim or outside the lip of the rim.

I actually like the matte finish myself, so I am gonna go with that. As far as applique goes, I like the tape/stuff plastic inside of wheel while they're left on idea, to save energy doing vigorous work. :D
I plan on spraying lightly quite a few times over, to avoid any drip or runs?

raider91e 02-21-2011 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyin_dutchman (Post 360433)
I actually like the matte finish myself, so I am gonna go with that. As far as applique goes, I like the tape/stuff plastic inside of wheel while they're left on idea, to save energy doing vigorous work. :D
I plan on spraying lightly quite a few times over, to avoid any drip or runs?

yeah, I'm planning to do two or three coats....from what ive seen on youtube, one guy with a VW GTI only did one coat...I'm a little skeptical though, I think to be on the safe side, im going to do at least two coats

machinanyc 02-21-2011 10:58 AM

You gotta do at least 3 coats. Especially on the rims. And i defly suggest you take your rims off the car when your painting them. You can keep the wheels on but if you wanna do a good job and avoid any messes...TAKE THEM OFF! The best way to avoid any overspray is to tape newspaper on the inside part of the rim. Kind of like a barrier across the inside so it doesn't get all over the place. BUT...you can also just turn the wheel around and spray the inside too! Why Not. The plasti-dip acts like a protectant anyway so why not just do the entire rim. Plus it looks good!