Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   need a little help guys!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/need-a-little-help-guys-1902.html)

Denny boy 08-05-2009 11:43 PM

need a little help guys!!

ok so my buddy has a 98 ZJ TSI with the 5.2. we need to replace the plenum gasket because its leaking into there making it burn alot of oil. so what i need is either instructions on how to take that off or a parts manual or something. we have to do it ourselves because where only HS students. we are mechanicaly inclined but need to know tork specks and stuff.

Any help would be great!!

Chaoul1 08-05-2009 11:45 PM

Re: need a little help guys!!

I have it and it helps a lot. You can go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy a mechanics book and it tells you every single thing about how to fix your Jeep. mine goes from 94-04. You can ask them if they have any Jeep repair books. I hope that helps.

Denny boy 08-05-2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 43535)
I have it and it helps a lot. You can go to Advanced Auto Parts and buy a mechanics book and it tells you every single thing about how to fix your Jeep. mine goes from 94-04. You can ask them if they have any Jeep repair books. I hope that helps.

thanks bro for the quick post. we were trying to go with out but we might have to..

Marlin 08-06-2009 12:09 AM

I'd suggest torque specs would be available over the net somewhere mate if that's all you're needing.

Denny boy 08-06-2009 12:22 AM

Ive been looking but can't seem to find anything

Marlin 08-06-2009 12:40 AM

Found some fun facts :)

All Chrysler-Dodge-Plymouth-Jeep Vehicles with 5.2 and 5.9 liter engines
Problems with the bottom of the intake manifold which has a plate with a type of paper gasket that sucks in and the engine starts using oil. The vehicle may also get lean codes that turn on the "check engine" light. This problem occurs at 90,000 miles and up. There is an updated gasket that is made of steel.

I've build literally hundreds of engines in my time, but you know, I've never once torqued inlet manifold bolts. Good rule of thumb is to simply puit all bolts in, lightly nip them up, then tighten from the centre/middle of the manifold outwards. They're only 5/16th bolts from memory, so just a firm hand tighten is sufficient. Don't go swinging off them. At a guess I'd say 25 to 30 ft/lbs.

Denny boy 08-06-2009 11:15 AM

hey thanks marlin that was the only part i was really worried about.

Marlin 08-06-2009 05:58 PM

Good to go then! :)

Denny boy 08-13-2009 02:16 PM

replacement went great, jeeps runs better than before the seal on the bottom of the plenum inbetween the plate and the plenum had been blown out on both sides. also was a good point to change head gaskets and stuff. only problem we ran into was i swallowed a mouthful of radiator fluid when pulling off the lower hose. i threw up 5 times but i am feeling better now that is some nasty stuff.... but if anyone ever needs help hit me up.

Relwarc 08-13-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denny boy (Post 47047)
i swallowed a mouthful of radiator fluid. i threw up 5 times .... but if anyone ever needs help hit me up.

.... sig quote?? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Denny boy 08-13-2009 02:30 PM

hahaha