Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Installing RER MYGIG. Tips? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/installing-rer-mygig-tips-19024.html)

mdwilliamson 02-17-2011 03:26 PM

Installing RER MYGIG. Tips?

Just purchased a MyGig for my 2009 Grand Cherokee and was needing to know if there was any helpful tips or problems I might face during installation. Ive searched JG and found some helpful tips on removing the dash panels but Ive yet to find any helpful tricks in removing the A-pillar to run the harness for the mic. Needing to know if the A-pillar is held on by clips only or if there are any screws that need to be removed. Also wondering it the trim around the radio(vents, etc.) is held on by clips only.

B.P.O.D 02-17-2011 03:28 PM

Re: Installing RER MYGIG. Tips?

its really easy!!!

2007-up Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles - MyGIG radio kit installation (PDF)
2005-2010 Grand Cherokee - center bezel and radio removal

mdwilliamson 02-17-2011 03:31 PM

I hope so!!! It should be arriving this afternoon via UPS and I was thinking about starting on it this evening. Hopefully its only a 1-2 hour task at max. Thanks for the link.

B.P.O.D 02-17-2011 03:41 PM

honestly if you take apart your center bezel and take out your radio now it will take you 15 mins to finish. really easy

DAVY27 02-17-2011 03:42 PM

^^ yep, might as well get it ready. just pop off the shifter and center benzel and remove a few screws.

you will LOOOVE it :D best mod IMO

mdwilliamson 02-17-2011 04:35 PM

The shifter bezel is already removed. Did that this morning in anticipation. Can I just use the trim stick to remove the dash or do i need something else. And Im still unsure about removing the a-pillar.

B.P.O.D 02-17-2011 04:37 PM

the dash has screws on the bottom and then just pull it off slowly. check out the pdf file its all in there for ya!

DAVY27 02-17-2011 05:19 PM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5794057/jeep_gc_install/

JeepGC09 02-17-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVY27 (Post 358322)

I just clicked on the video and realized that it was the one I made lol ... I totally forgot about it.

mdwilliamson 02-17-2011 06:36 PM

Just finished installing it. UPS came around 5:30 and it took all of 45 minutes to install. A lot easier than I expected. I did encounter some minor issues. While removing the dash panel the top was a little harder to get loose than the bottom or sides. Finally got the trim stick in the correct position and it popped off. I let someone borrow my socket set so removing the a-pillar started off bad, went next door to neighbor and got a socket to remove the screws in the pillars. Very easy after that. The only other issue I had was where to mount the gps antenna. Came back in, searched JG and actually found where most are mounting it. Getting ready to take it down the road to test the GPS. I live in an area that never seems to get good GPS reception so Im gonna test it on the road. Bluetooth works perfect but I was wondering if anyone had installed a factory uconnect mirror and harness with the RER. Is it plug and play also? After only playing around with the unit for 15 minutes or so I can already tell this will, without a doubt, be the best mod I have or ever will do to my GC.

blackpepper 02-17-2011 08:05 PM

I gave up on linking the MyGig to the mirror so I just bought the $40 mic and tucked that into the top corner of the windshield.

I love the MyGig now you need the in motion hack for the DVD player :D

dcjeepgc 02-17-2011 08:26 PM

I loved this mod too! Did it on my 05, which has a simplier procedure than the 09 for removing the center console. Originally I had mounted the NAV antenna on top of the radio unit itself but found that the reception I was getting from that position was poor so I mounted it on top of the intrument panel after removing the semi-circle bezel. This worked perfectly and removing the instrument cluster bezel and re-installing it was a brezze! The Sirius even works on mine as I'm assuming that the previous owner's membership is still in force. I mounted the mic right on the upper corner of the bezel trim around the radio and find that it works fine there. No problems with the u-connect hearing my voice while driving. I got the Lock Pick Adapter for mine and having the NAV and Video features operable while in motion is a definate plus. One of my favorite mods, like the other members have stated!