Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Removing Side Skirts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/removing-side-skirts-19064.html)

bumpin_jeep 02-18-2011 10:46 AM

Removing Side Skirts

Has anyone removed these to paint them and then put them back on? I've seen a lot of guys with color matched ones, but don't know if they removed them or painted them on the body. I also saw someone post once that when he put his Mopar kit on they were a pain to get off and he broke the end clips while taking them off. Just curious as to how hard it is to get them off. Also I'm assuming it will need the plastic rivets to go back on? Any tried metal screws? Or anything else?

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-18-2011 11:31 AM

Re: Removing Side Skirts

just go under the sides and cut off the plastic rivets and pull it off carefully. you will need more rivets to reinstall them.

Scottina06 02-18-2011 11:54 AM

the skirts also have little snaps built into them that are one use. You will break most of them when you remove the skirts. Be prepared for your skirts to not fit as tight unless you add something to compensate for these....maybe some 3m tape or somehting?

bumpin_jeep 02-18-2011 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 358910)
the skirts also have little snaps built into them that are one use. You will break most of them when you remove the skirts. Be prepared for your skirts to not fit as tight unless you add something to compensate for these....maybe some 3m tape or something?

Yea, that's what I remember hearing about. So there's no way around breaking them, huh? Do most people who paint them, do them on the vehicle then? I don't see how I can do the top parts of them without removing the doors, and I know from putting my door speakers in that the wiring would be in a pain in the a** to take them off.

Are the SRT side skirts like this as well? Or is it different?

Scottina06 02-18-2011 12:26 PM

SRT skirts are the same

Fourbynut 02-19-2011 01:16 AM

Sounds like the best way to go would be buy replacement skirts paint them and just replace the old ones. Alittle more cost but the fit would be much better. Thanks for the info.

bumpin_jeep 02-19-2011 11:21 AM

I'm just going to take my time and mask everything off well, then paint them on the car. I don't see the need to spend the money to buy new panels, just so i can paint them off the car.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-19-2011 01:58 PM

they come off easy, i have my stock set still and nothing broke on them.

05wkguy 02-19-2011 03:22 PM

I had my stock ones painted as it was significantly cheaper than ordering the SRT ones. (I'm in Canada, obviously) They were not difficult to remove but i did break most of the clips as everyone else said. Not a bad job but i do wish i'd had the money to get the srt ones as they are a little "deeper" than the stock ones.

dcjeepgc 02-19-2011 03:32 PM

I just installed the Mopar Ground Effects body kit on mine. I too broke off the white clips at the front in removing the old rockers. I however did not know they were attached with these prior to removing them. Had I known that, and I planned to put them back on after painting them, I would have been more careful ripping them off and probably saved them. I am really happy with the Ground Effects kit though. I'm embarrest to say how much I paid for the kit as being in Canada I wasn't expecting a spare set of used SRT rocker sills to become available. I also had to get it painted body color as the colors the kit comes in are not my body color. The results however are well worth it to me. Installing new rocker sills is fine because the tabs have the ridges in place so they secure solid enough without the white clips. I will post some pics later on today.

bumpin_jeep 02-20-2011 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05wkguy (Post 359746)
I had my stock ones painted as it was significantly cheaper than ordering the SRT ones. (I'm in Canada, obviously) They were not difficult to remove but i did break most of the clips as everyone else said. Not a bad job but i do wish i'd had the money to get the srt ones as they are a little "deeper" than the stock ones.

When you put them back on, did you use 3M tape or something? How do the fit now that most of the tabs are broken?

tycovie 02-20-2011 11:40 AM

From what I remember reading here, just buy new tabs