Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Which Cam for 5.7L WK? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/which-cam-for-5-7l-wk-19077.html)

Chaoul1 02-18-2011 03:00 PM

Which Cam for 5.7L WK?

I am in the market for a new set of Cams. I have been recommended to a few brands and I have narrowed it down to two brands: Intertia Spartan Cams and FRi Sidewinder Cams. I want to know what else I would need for this install? Lifters, Valve Springs? I see that there is a thread that a member is getting us 5.7L people some similar SRT headers so that will be on my list also.

I have a 05' 5.7L WK.

I want a nice set of mild cams. Nice mild idle and a good amount of HP/TQ :D.

Anyone have any recommendations to what I should buy? I live in VA and I also want to know if I will have any problems with Emissions too? Smog test?

Thanks!!!

ludakrs 02-18-2011 05:24 PM

re: Which Cam for 5.7L WK?

For our Sidewinder cam in your 5.7 you will need the following valve train upgrade:

5.7 Sidewinder Cam $420 shipped current special posted for February.

5.7 Group I: $175.00 shipped (Heads off installation)
6.1 Exhaust Valve Springs
6.1 Pushrods
5.7 Crankshaft Bolt
5.7 Head Gaskets
5.7 Head Bolts

5.7 Group II: $68.00 shipped (Heads on installation)
6.1 Exhaust Valve Springs
6.1 Pushrods
5.7 Crankshaft Bolt

There should be no problems with emissions from our camshafts too.

Chaoul1 02-18-2011 10:14 PM

Okay. I like that ^^^^ How much HP/TQ would I be looking at the wheel with your Cams?

ludakrs 02-19-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 359345)
Okay. I like that ^^^^ How much HP/TQ would I be looking at the wheel with your Cams?

We have a thread http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=240229 with sidwinder results.

Most average around 30 additional hp and tq. Some have put down close to 400 rwtq with this cam, supporting mods and tuning. :thumbsup:

Chaoul1 02-19-2011 10:15 AM

Sweet! Those numbers are pretty nice to see!

ludakrs 02-21-2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 359532)
Sweet! Those numbers are pretty nice to see!

The Sidewinder is a great cam that has proven itself over time and time again. I think you would be pleased :thumbsup:

Stickerbombed 05-10-2012 01:06 PM

Would it be worth it to go with the Sparrow w stock everything and the upgraded PAC 1218 valvetrain. I dont care for MDS butI'm looking for lower end power. Obviously the Sidewinder makes its power more on the low end but the 10hp upgrade might make up for the 500rpm different

amw5 05-10-2012 02:27 PM

Sparrow's a good cam...may consider a Spartan or Super Spartan advanced 4-6* as well.

Stickerbombed 05-10-2012 03:17 PM

I was considering the Spartan but it seems the sidewinder is ten times as popular for the 5.7.Everyone using the Spartan seems to be running the 6.1L. Not sure why. Not trying to do the same this as everyone else or anything but when it comes to major motor components I feel like when something is proven like the sidewinder I'd rather go that route especially if the larger motor seems to respond to it way better theres probably a reason. I think im thinking too far into it and should really just go with the sidewinder and get the low end I want affordably.

amw5 05-10-2012 04:25 PM

The main reasons for using the SW are for steet manners, ability to use canned tunes, and increased low end torque. With a larger cam, you need to advance the timing on a heavier vehicle like the Jeep to get the torque down lower, a custom tune, and possibly a higher stall converter. The Spartan is better suited to the 6.1 due to the higher compression, higher stall, better breathing, etc. and the SW wouldn't provide much benefit over the stock 6.1 cam in terms of over-all performance. Puting a Spartan cam in a 6.1 is not unlike puting a SW in a 5.7L.

I was looking at the SW when I put my first cam in (Super Spartan), but after alot of research, decided to go slightly more aggressive. The Super Spartan is designed to bring all of the timing events on sooner, while still maintaining power throughout the band. I had a hunch that I would eventually want to go larger...and I was right. I figured that since I needed to upgrade the springs and rods, I may as well go with ported heads and better exhaust. The SS didn't require a higher stall converter, but it can definately benefit from one. I eventually ended up with my current setup, upgrading to a larger cam, high stall converter, larger intake manifold, headers, etc. and the power difference is much improved over just the cam/heads combo I was originally running.

You can't really compare a SW to a Spartan cam, for they are completely different grinds. If you advance the Spartan and/or increase compression (mill the heads), you will have more torque down low than the SW and a heck of a lot more pull up top...night and day difference, for not much more coin. Just advancing the Spartan cam 4-6* alone, without increasing compression, will net you similar street manners as the SW and better results at the track.

If all you want is a little more pickup around town, then you will be happy with the SW. You can save some coin in the tuning department as well by using a canned tune. However, you're probably going to want the added benefits of a custom tune at some point...and possibly a larger cam...the mod bug will bite...it's just a matter of time;)

Happy Modding!

Stickerbombed 05-12-2012 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amw5 (Post 627639)
The main reasons for using the SW are for steet manners, ability to use canned tunes, and increased low end torque. With a larger cam, you need to advance the timing on a heavier vehicle like the Jeep to get the torque down lower, a custom tune, and possibly a higher stall converter. The Spartan is better suited to the 6.1 due to the higher compression, higher stall, better breathing, etc. and the SW wouldn't provide much benefit over the stock 6.1 cam in terms of over-all performance. Puting a Spartan cam in a 6.1 is not unlike puting a SW in a 5.7L.

I was looking at the SW when I put my first cam in (Super Spartan), but after alot of research, decided to go slightly more aggressive. The Super Spartan is designed to bring all of the timing events on sooner, while still maintaining power throughout the band. I had a hunch that I would eventually want to go larger...and I was right. I figured that since I needed to upgrade the springs and rods, I may as well go with ported heads and better exhaust. The SS didn't require a higher stall converter, but it can definately benefit from one. I eventually ended up with my current setup, upgrading to a larger cam, high stall converter, larger intake manifold, headers, etc. and the power difference is much improved over just the cam/heads combo I was originally running.

You can't really compare a SW to a Spartan cam, for they are completely different grinds. If you advance the Spartan and/or increase compression (mill the heads), you will have more torque down low than the SW and a heck of a lot more pull up top...night and day difference, for not much more coin. Just advancing the Spartan cam 4-6* alone, without increasing compression, will net you similar street manners as the SW and better results at the track.

If all you want is a little more pickup around town, then you will be happy with the SW. You can save some coin in the tuning department as well by using a canned tune. However, you're probably going to want the added benefits of a custom tune at some point...and possibly a larger cam...the mod bug will bite...it's just a matter of time;)

Happy Modding!

Thank you for the good advice. As far as track manners and stuff like that I'm really looking for street driving. I think after looking over my options the 20 or so horsepower the spartan will net me over the SW might not be worth it. I would rather go with the easier setup due to my lack of knowledge on motor work and budget problems. I will probably upgrade it further down the road but right now I think the SW is going to be my best bet.

Thank you for the information

amw5 05-12-2012 09:49 AM

You'll be happy with the SW...may want to consider the Superchips unit if you don't plan on going any further, for it has trans tuning capabilities that the DS doesn't.