Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Any ideas what fuel economy will be for this pig? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/any-ideas-what-fuel-economy-will-be-for-this-pig-19122.html)

JTS97Z28 02-19-2011 06:40 PM

Any ideas what fuel economy will be for this pig?

I know specific details have yet to be released about the new SRT8, but based on figures for the other SRT vehicles that have been released with the new motor, does anyone think there is going to be any real improvement in fuel economy for the new Jeep SRT8? I understand its heavier than the previous model and obviously has more HP. I sold my 2008 SRT8 last year because I just got soo sick of filling up every other day it was ridiculous. I was kind of hoping that the new one might see some improvements, but since Jeep did absolutely nothing to significantly improve the WK2 hemi economy I would imagine the new SRT8 will be just as bad or maybe even worse than the previous generation SRT. I so wish it were better because I truely want a fun daily driven WK2 SRT8, but being realistic as a daily driver its a joke. I would be better off keeping my current daily driver sedan and get myself back into another 505hp C6 Z06 vette than can do 22 city and 30mpg hwy.
I know no one would buy a SRT8 or even let alone a regular Grand Cherokee for fuel economy, but unless your filthy rich I would imagine getting 8mpg on a daily driver would kind of piss you off to lol (Ok I exaggerated I used to get 12 in my 08 SRT).

So what are your thoughts on this? Worse, similar, or better MPG for the new WK2 SRT8?

Keyser 02-19-2011 06:58 PM

Re: Any ideas what fuel economy will be for this pig?

I guess about the same even though they say it will have cylinder deactivation,more weight+more horsepower,same 5 speed box= even/nul

Jeff_Jeske 02-20-2011 11:20 PM

I suspect this will be a concern for most everyone...... Rumor has it gas will be over $4/gallon soon and it will continue to climb.

I really don't feel like paying a gas guzzler tax and then having it be so thirsty that I don't want to drive it.

Milous 02-21-2011 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske (Post 360545)
I really don't feel like paying a gas guzzler tax and then having it be so thirsty that I don't want to drive it.

No GG tax for the GC SRT since it's classified as a "truck".

Marlin 02-21-2011 03:58 AM

Will be similar to previous I'd reckon, but the new larger tank will at least mean fill ups are less common and range should be improved!

White Chocolate 02-21-2011 12:42 PM

If you can't afford the fill ups, dont buy it ;)

JTS97Z28 02-21-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 360839)
If you can't afford the fill ups, dont buy it ;)

It's not a matter of being able to afford it because if your buying a 50K suv I would assume you can. It's a matter of being so poor on gas that it's basically annoying especially if it's going to be daily driven. User Marlin above made a good point that atleast it has a larger gas tank to maybe take a little pain away of having to fill it up every 3 days like on the WK SRT.
If possibly the new one is similar or slightly better than the previous generation that along with the larger fuel tank might not be so bad.

James

White Chocolate 02-21-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 360883)
It's not a matter of being able to afford it because if your buying a 50K suv I would assume you can. It's a matter of being so poor on gas that it's basically annoying especially if it's going to be daily driven. User Marlin above maybe a good point that atleast it has a larger gas tank to maybe take a little pain away of having to fill it up every 3 days like on the WK SRT.
If possibly the new one is similar or slightly better than the previous generation that along with the larger fuel tank might not be so bad.

James

You have to remember, there are people who "can afford it" and people who pretend "to afford it" and get a HUGE loan, and live payment to payment......usually those people are the bitchers about not affording gas.

Hopefully when the SRT comes out, we don't see those people whining. :sleepy:

JTS97Z28 02-21-2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Chocolate (Post 360886)
You have to remember, there are people who "can afford it" and people who pretend "to afford it" and get a HUGE loan, and live payment to payment......usually those people are the bitchers about not affording gas.

Hopefully when the SRT comes out, we don't see those people whining. :sleepy:

Ok well regardless of how people pay for their SRT8 I could careless that wasn't my point. I simply wanted to make a post to see if anyone had any ideas or information regarding what the fuel economy ratings were going to be. Maybe it doesn't bother you but having to fill up every 3 days is a concern for me and its not something I want to be doing with my next vehicle (money aside).

James

Robert Palmer 02-21-2011 02:29 PM

Dont feed the troll James! LOL

As far as fuel economy goes with the next gen SRT, I say that it will most likely be the same. The damn thing is 500 lbs heavier. :(

And for fuel economy in my SRT, I daily drive it in NYC, I live in Downtown Manhattan, I get 7 mpgs. Fill up about 3 times a week.

If I really push it, 6 mpg is attainable with a very very heavy foot.

But none of that really matters, the Jeep puts a smile on my face everyday and that's what counts. :)

JTS97Z28 02-21-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 360943)
Dont feed the troll James! LOL

As far as fuel economy goes with the next gen SRT, I say that it will most likely be the same. The damn thing is 500 lbs heavier. :(

And for fuel economy in my SRT, I daily drive it in NYC, I live in Downtown Manhattan, I get 7 mpgs. Fill up about 3 times a week.

If I really push it, 6 mpg is attainable with a very very heavy foot.

But none of that really matters, the Jeep puts a smile on my face everyday and that's what counts. :)

Yeah the new one sure is a tank thats for sure. I will say this my 08 SRT sure did put smiles on my face that thing was a blast. As fun as it is though 6 to 7mpgs and filling up 3 times a week will take a very dedicated enthusiast to do that. You certainly love your SRT8:thumbsup:
Atleast for me I live in the far suburbs of Chicago and for the most part my commute to and from work is wide open plus I work weird shifts for my job so traffic is never an issue. This helps a lot! Well I guess we will find out soon enough what the new SRT is all about but I do agree with you. I think the 4cyl mode and any other improvements will just be overcoming the added weight of the new one. Either way though its gonna be bad ass!! :D

Marlin 02-21-2011 06:25 PM

As Joey says mate, ignore the troll. ;)

You raise a point I've not read... that of MDS on the new 6.4l? Where did you hear that?