Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Tech Tips/DIY/How To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/)
-   -   Anyone install skid plates on their Overland w/ 20" wheels? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f156/anyone-install-skid-plates-on-their-overland-w-20-wheels-19135.html)

Bull03 02-20-2011 12:24 AM

Anyone install skid plates on their Overland w/ 20" wheels?

Looking to see where the skid plates where purchased, who has the best price and how long/ difficult the install took.

Thanks for any insight.

ryorde 02-20-2011 01:14 AM

Re: Anyone install skid plates on their Overland w/ 20" wheels?

I have, and it wasnt that bad. I had access to a lift though, and 2 other guys. I would not attempt to do it yourself without a lift. It would be very difficult on jacks.

Bull03 02-20-2011 01:22 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I would have tried this myself with ramps if you hadn't advised against it...

ryorde 02-20-2011 01:24 AM

It wouldnt be impossible, but certainly harder than it needs to be.

Hollywood 02-20-2011 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryorde (Post 360056)
I have, and it wasnt that bad. I had access to a lift though, and 2 other guys. I would not attempt to do it yourself without a lift. It would be very difficult on jacks.

If you still have access to a lift (or if you took any), would love to see some pics. Trying to decide if these are worth it for me, considering the "minimal" amount of actual "off-loading" I do, and even then, most of it's in "sand" on the beach. :lol:

Probably the only use I'd get out of them, would be for protection from chunks of ice in the winter.

Technosavant 02-20-2011 08:05 AM

I had them added by the dealer. They got into me for 2 hours of labor. I probably could have done them myself, but just didn't bother. I did do the tow hooks myself (I know you didn't ask, but you might find those nice to have as well).

Bull03 02-20-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Technosavant (Post 360128)
I had them added by the dealer. They got into me for 2 hours of labor. I probably could have done them myself, but just didn't bother. I did do the tow hooks myself (I know you didn't ask, but you might find those nice to have as well).

Thanks... on both accounts. Did you buy both through the dealer? If so, how much for the materials? Were the tow hooks easy to install?

Do you have pics? :)

Technosavant 02-20-2011 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bull03 (Post 360193)
Thanks... on both accounts. Did you buy both through the dealer? If so, how much for the materials? Were the tow hooks easy to install?

Do you have pics? :)

I bought the skid plates through the dealer. The tow hooks I got from Jeep Parts Mall, but Just4Jeeps is now the the board sponsor for Mopar stuff, so I'd check with them.

As for pics, ask and ye shall receive. :D

dwaleke 02-21-2011 11:15 AM

I put the front two on with the car only raised up slightly. Really easy. Will attempt the fuel tank plates when it warms up a bit.

netcoolery 02-21-2011 06:02 PM

If you are running the 20" wheels, you are probably not planning to do much rock-crawling and I wonder if the skid plates are worth your time.

On the other hand, tow hooks could come in handy for all sorts of off-road situations (sand, mud, snow, cute gal with a stuck Explorer ...) I'd go for those first.

Hollywood 02-21-2011 06:08 PM

Good point! ;)

Nate8587 12-14-2011 10:42 PM

Don't these Jeeps come with standard skid plates, steel if I remember correctly. Are there not very protective, I would know if I ever get mine out of the shop bought it saturday and took it to the shop monday its now thursday and I still haven't got it. Apparently the quadra lift had leaks which plague these models?

2011 Overland 5.7