Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/amber-rear-turn-signals-euro-parts-19142.html)

VermontHobbit 02-20-2011 01:21 AM

Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

I've always thought amber rear turn signals are much more attention getting at night, which I equate to safer, and I know that in the sports car world (Porsche specifically) many people put European rear light housings on their cars to get the amber signals.

I'm curious whether our members in other parts of the world have an amber lens on the rear, or an amber bulb in the clear portion of the rear lens. Could anyone post a picture?

I'd seriously like to do a conversion unless the whole harness is different.

Dunecrawler 02-20-2011 03:54 AM

Re: Amber rear turn signals (Euro parts?)

1 Attachment(s)
GCC (middle East spec). Will get you a night pic later

Dunecrawler 02-20-2011 08:10 AM

Pic did not come out to great, but they are amber. It seems there is an amber reflector inside. I dont think the bulb is amber though

VermontHobbit 02-20-2011 08:38 AM

Thanks, Dunecrawler... the internal amber reflector sounds ideal.

I see in your picture that the side marker light on the rear has an amber reflector. Here in our state those will fail an inspection (they must be red), and apparently can get you stopped and ticketed by police (happened to a friend who converted his Porsche by swapping the entire lens assembly).

Seems like a US-legal solution would be the amber reflector inside a US-spec outer lens assembly.

Sure wish the US would adopt the ECE regulations. This Wikipedia article is a good summary: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting

It just occurred to me that an amber LED inside the clear section would work with a silver reflector too.

J13ntv 02-20-2011 09:50 AM

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the tail light and turn signal were one on the jeep, the red. The two clear sections (car and tailgate hatch) are for reverse...?

J13ntv 02-20-2011 11:16 AM

I just verified the white is reverse, so else I am reading the post wrong on the US model the turn signal is also the taillight, red in color.

jeep2011 02-20-2011 11:20 AM

It would just be as simple as switching the signal wire to the reverse light socket and changing the bulb to an amber. There should be no need to get a new housing.

Update.... just checked mopar parts. The tail lights are the same on both models. Euro just has a different wire harness and amber bulb.

VermontHobbit 02-20-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 360174)
I just verified the white is reverse, so else I am reading the post wrong on the US model the turn signal is also the taillight, red in color.

J13, you are correct... what I am hoping to do is have a Euro-style amber turn signal which will shine through the clear lens below the red taillight which also houses the reverse light (i.e. the "outboard" clear lenses). I envision the "inboard" clear lenses on the hatch would still function as reverse lights (probably with an LED upgrade for more light output).

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeep2011 (Post 360177)
It would just be as simple as switching the signal wire to the reverse light socket and changing the bulb to an amber. There should be no need to get a new housing.

Update.... just checked mopar parts. The tail lights are the same on both models. Euro just has a different wire harness and amber bulb.

jeep2011, thanks... that is very helpful info! If I get this all working I'll post the procedure and pix.

brianm 02-20-2011 12:44 PM

i think robpp tried this and eventually gave uo after encountering lots of probs

robpp 02-20-2011 01:08 PM

yeah on the WK its not quite so simple. many threads here about my follies.

for the wk its PnP for the 05 and 06 8 pin US models. scott and iJeep both have them PNP

but when you talk about the wk 07+:

the problem is there is ONE wire that has both the brake and the blink signal. to use the euro lights you need to SPLIT that signal bacause you need an AMBER bulb that is BLINK only and the top bulb to be park and brake only.

i bought signal splitters for towed vehicles. lips and i scoured the net, to no avail.

I was almost there. i had blink only and brake only working proper. BUT when you had your foot on ht brake and hit the turn it flashed the wrong side first then the proper side. next was to try a delay and I saud to m,yself it was too much risk, too much to go wrong. I had spent way too much on it already and wasnt gauranteed a resuklt.

the wk2 guys can try http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/platform_...asp?return=new and see if the 2011 is there.

if the plug shows that one wire is brake and blink and on the export its different you may be in the same hole. but if the harnesses are the same check the pinouts. it MIGHT work.

scittb 02-20-2011 01:54 PM

Just remember the majority of the people behind you will be looking for the big red blinker so hope they dont bump you from behind. If you were to get bumped would there be an issue explaining this one to the insurance company? Asking a serious question not being sarcastic here.....

jeep2011 02-20-2011 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
robpp, I think you are correct. Looking at the diagram it doesn't state the brake and blinker shares the same wire, but it does say export models that wire is replaced with just the brake. I pulled the light assembly off of mine and there are 3 wires (1) black ground, (1) white and yellow brake/blinker and (1) white and brown for parking lights.

I do not see anyway to get them to work separately either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scittb (Post 360249)
Just remember the majority of the people behind you will be looking for the big red blinker so hope they dont bump you from behind. If you were to get bumped would there be an issue explaining this one to the insurance company? Asking a serious question not being sarcastic here.....

Why is that? It doesn't matter if they are yellow or red as long as they work.