Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   First Problem Encountered (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/first-problem-encountered-19170.html)

Navy1 02-20-2011 07:46 PM

First Problem Encountered

Well...my first issue popped up today. I have 9800 miles on her and I was 125 miles from home when the check engine light came on when I started her up when my wife and I were finished having dinner. When I started driving, it became clear what the problem was...the transmission would not shift into 5th or overdrive and the cruise control stopped working. I had to limp home at 45 miles an hour...not a fun task.

I plan on taking her in tomorrow morning...but has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what was the cause? My guess is a software problem.

Jeepeta 02-20-2011 09:14 PM

Re: First Problem Encountered

Ouch! Hope it's something simple shipmate.

moosehead 02-20-2011 09:55 PM

Longshot, but maybe try tow button a few times, as well as cycling through select terrain modes? Also try disconnecting neg battery cable for a few minutes. Hope it's nuttin honey.

Navy1 02-21-2011 05:40 AM

Thanks Moose....I'll give it a try. It's really strange, I've never encountered a problem like this one.

Cherodude 02-21-2011 08:33 AM

That sounds just like "limp home mode" that some engine control systems enter to protect the drivetrain under some conditions. It will literally get you home, but in lower gears and speeds.

Once had this happened in my XJ, and the problem turned out to be a faulty speed sensor. The computer was getting indications of vehicle speed that did not jibe with its other data.

Here's a quote from the WK2 manual, 4th edition, page 353-4:

"Transmission Limp Home Mode
Transmission function is monitored for abnormal conditions. If a condition is detected that could result in transmission damage, the Transmission Limp Home Mode will be engaged. In this mode, the transmission will remain in the current gear (3.6L engine) or in direct gear (5.7L engine) until the vehicle is brought to a stop.

To reset the transmission, use the following procedure:
1. Stop the vehicle.
2. Move the shift lever into the PARK position.
3. Turn the engine off, and be sure to turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
4. Wait approximately 10 seconds, then restart the engine.
5. Move the shift lever to the desired gear range.
If the problem is no longer detected, the transmission will return to normal operation. If the problem persists, PARK, REVERSE, and NEUTRAL will continue to operate. Only second gear (3.6L engine) or third gear (5.7L engine) will be available in the DRIVE position. Have the transmission checked at your authorized dealer as soon as possible."

Navy1 02-21-2011 02:38 PM

Update:
Just got the vehicle back from the dealer. Here are the fault codes that they found:
P0016 Crankshaft/Camshaft timing misalignment
P000B Bank 1 Camshaft 2 position slow response

They checked all the sensor connections and everything was fine. They cleared the codes and everything is back to normal. They are ordering two sensors to replace. The service manager and tech told me that these codes will cause the vehicle to go into limp mode as described by Cherodude above.

They told me that this is the first 2011 that they had in that had this problem. Hopefully replacing the sensors does the trick!

I appreciate those who responded!

mjw930 02-21-2011 04:00 PM

You didn't happen to have an oil change recently, did you?

Navy1 02-21-2011 07:14 PM

actually I had one done by the dealer at 8000 miles. Do you think something is correlated to that?

mjw930 02-22-2011 10:42 AM

Probably not but there is a correlation between the oil and the MDS system which effects the valve train. Just a flier but if they used something other than 5W-20 like 5W-30 or 10W-40 it could cause a fault in the MDS. Again, just a remote possibility but something I would ask.

Navy1 02-22-2011 07:20 PM

I see your point but they did use 5w-20 synthetic...at least that's what it said on the paperwork. Due to OSHA rules...customers are no longer allowed in the garage area so no way to verify what they actually put in. I trust the dealership completely and don't think they would use something else. Interestingly, when they cleared the codes, the MDS started working again, and everything was fixed. Sensors are due in tomorrow and will be replaced this weekend so hopefully I won't have the issue again.

robpp 02-22-2011 07:31 PM

dont disconnect the battery as it may erase the codes and some diagnostic stuff unles out of warranty.

the codes may be erased and they will send you on your way.

glad they acknowledged it OP

VermontHobbit 02-22-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navy1 (Post 361951)
Due to OSHA rules...customers are no longer allowed in the garage area so no way to verify what they actually put in.

Sorry to be picky about this stuff, but OSHA only applies to their employees, not customers. The old "insurance" nonsense is also just that. They just don't want you looking over their shoulder. A really good shop manager (e.g. my Porsche dealer) invites me out to the shop floor to show me issues so I know what they are doing.