Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Anyone with aftermarket hoods, come in! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/anyone-with-aftermarket-hoods-come-in-19197.html)

Relwarc 02-21-2011 11:35 AM

Anyone with aftermarket hoods, come in!

ok, i live in an apartment. Hand washing my jeep isnt an option.

There's a place by my apartment that has been awesome. they hand wash, then it goes through a touchless spray, and one of those crazy air jet dryer things, then to a hand drying area.... its awesome.

im about to install my antivenom hood tomorrow night :thumbsup:

im nervous, am i going to need to stop using this service?

#1, will the air jet deals hurt my hood? they blast something FIERCE, usually my wipers act like they want to blow off.

#2, for those of you with the venom hood, is it a problem for all that water running into the engine compartment?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

went to the local "high end" car wash. Been going for 3 years, asked the owner what he thought. he said i was being a whimp and i should see the crazy stuff he sees every day.

got it washed, ZERO issues, hood held up fine, water POURED down the holes, straight through to the ground, no problem. I can say with 100% certainty that its going to be fine in rain, etc.

downstate 02-21-2011 05:27 PM

Re: Anyone with aftermarket hoods, come in!

i have the venom and only thing different i do when cleaning is i try not to sent water right into the vents so i just spray from the side or from the front to back.

no problems with water though, but i do keep it in the garage.

robpp 02-21-2011 05:58 PM

i would make sure your vents are in well. aside form that you may want to let your hood cure completely, if there is such a thing for gel coat. like they say a fresh paint job needs about a month to totally cure/harden mabe the hood is the same?????

Relwarc 02-22-2011 03:12 PM

so you're saying i shouldnt wash my hood for a month? i mean, the guy at the body shop said to plop it on the jeep! haha....

i'll wait until the vents come in, just to keep the water from gushing.

Tclass117 02-22-2011 03:24 PM

its funny mention all of this, i was gonna ask you.

I don't think i would ever get one because my Airaid Cold air intake is open and the left hole is almost directly over it, i'd be scared of it collecting water. ha!

robpp 02-22-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tclass117 (Post 361743)
its funny mention all of this, i was gonna ask you.

I don't think i would ever get one because my Airaid Cold air intake is open and the left hole is almost directly over it, i'd be scared of it collecting water. ha!

i have a ram air hood, the air and rain dumps on top of my filter. i use a 'drycharger' and the filter is dry.

relwarc im not saying anything for sure. but like i said if its paint they recommend a month before you apply pressure. if you were hand washing it and rinsing it, sure. but YOU called out about some strong air jets and a car wash. so IN THAT CASE I would take extra caution.

GL

Relwarc 02-22-2011 03:36 PM

yeah you're absolutely right Rob, i will watch myself.

Tclass, the left side dumps a little to the center of the airbox, my intake is clear of the hole.

Relwarc 02-24-2011 09:32 AM

Updated

vman_86 02-24-2011 10:02 AM

air jet won't hurt hood, sure, it looks as if wipers want to take flight but that's because they are light and only fixed at one point

the hood obv. has corners latched and locked up front...there is a lot of downward pressure from the air pressing on the hood but not enough force to hurt anything, they also have a crazy good filter in those things so you don't have to worry about anything becoming a projectile as it passes through

SRTILL8 02-24-2011 10:15 AM

told ya! heheh and thats with no vents in place. with the vents youll get a lot less water accumulated in the bay. when i hand washed mine the last few times i barely got anything inside, but i barely had the water stream directly over the vents, using side to side motions. but on my first hand wash- what i did do (only cause i like the engine bay to shine and be spotless clean as well) i laid down a micro rags where the vents would hover over it when closed. but my second time washing her i didnt use the towels and when i was finished with the exterior i popped the hood and used the very lil drips of water to wipe down the already clean engine bay some more- heheh

i need to wash mine soon, today gonna be a dusty stroll around hahha

Relwarc 02-24-2011 11:10 AM

haha you did tell me... and i went ahead and tried it! Wish my hood was on an SRT, it would look cooler AND i'd have an SRT...lol!