Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   LED tail light upgrade/nightmare! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/led-tail-light-upgrade-nightmare-19244.html)

HemiWK 02-22-2011 08:51 AM

LED tail light upgrade/nightmare!

So I broke down and bought a set of LED tail light housings the other day. Exact as the ones in the pic.
Love the look. But am having a nightmare w/ the install !
The top light is the LED it has a pigtail that connects to the factory plug. Im using the stock bulbs for the middle and reverse lights..... It seems either way I connect them I either blow the stop fuse or the parking light fuses... Tried every combination there is , all I have to show for my work is a headache, and a handfull of blown 10 and 15 amp fuses LOL I did a search for the same issue but it seems all the issues are from people just replacing the stock bulbs w/ LED replacements. Im totally stumped! is it an issue with the mix of stock bulbs w/ the LED one? (do I need to switch to LED's for all 3 lights?) http://www.octanemotorsports.com/ima...05JMLED-TM.jpg

jeff05wk 02-22-2011 09:12 AM

Re: LED tail light upgrade/nightmare!

Top portion looks like a Terminator's eye.

HemiWK 02-22-2011 09:18 AM

BTW The LED pigtail has 3 wires red, green, and black.

I can get the parking lights, turns, and the reverse lights to work. but as soon as I step on the brake, POOF! stoplight fuse pops!

ok, so I reverse the LED pigtail on both sides(like it says in the "instructions") step on the brake, brake lights come on, but when I turn the parking lights on POOF! R+L parking fuses pop!

Repeated these steps a few times scratching my head harder and harder each time till I got frustrated @ 11pm and gave up and put the stock lights back on and went to bed. what a buzz kill!

I also got some Halo projector headlights and a pair of yellow halo fog lights.
If the tail lights are any kind of preview of how the headlight and fogs install is gonna go. Im just gonna sit in a dark corner drink whiskey and rock back and forth LOL

NikonKiem 02-22-2011 09:48 AM

Thats what is happening to me, I took mine to the shop because I couldnt figure out why my lights arnt working lol. I just replaced bulb to an LED bulb .

robpp 02-22-2011 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonKiem (Post 361563)
Thats what is happening to me, I took mine to the shop because I couldnt figure out why my lights arnt working lol. I just replaced bulb to an LED bulb .

you took it to a shop WHEN ALL THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE WK IS RIGHT HERE :rolleyes:

what year.

if 07 + you need a 6 ohm resistor across the 2 outer wires on the 3 wire plug. BUT YOU also need a CK type bulb. google 3157 CK.

and OP, i suspect yours is the same issue. they have it wired to work on any 3157 but the 07+ jeep needs a special 3157 CK wiring.

NikonKiem 02-22-2011 10:32 AM

Well all my rear lights were out. When I turned the lights on non of the rear lights would come on including the licence plate lights. But the break lights and turn signals still worked. This was after I put the stock bulbs back in.

HemiWK 02-22-2011 11:08 AM

Mine is an 05 WK limited. just went and got a pair of 3157 LED bulbs. They dont say CK or anything.. Just 3157R and got some LED "load resistors".
and a big pack of 10 and 15 amp fuses LOL Gonna go play with it and will post up results.

robpp 02-22-2011 11:30 AM

yeah early ones dont need ck
just a 6 ohm across the blink wire and the ground.

go here and find the blink wire....

http://dto.vftis.com/mopar/platform_...asp?return=new

HemiWK 02-22-2011 02:41 PM

Well, No Luck, tried 6ohm resistor, tried every combination! just another hand full of blown fuses.. I called the manufacturer and we tried to troubleshoot for a little while. He said I shouldnt need any type of resistor, "its all supposed to just plug in with no mods"
He came to the conclusion that the LED light assembly must be shorted out and for me to pack em up and ship em back so they can replace them. uggggh! so........ thats what Im doing.. The Tail light adventure will resume in a week or so due to shipping.....

However, The headlights went in with only very minor wiring mods.( just splicing in the halos to the parking lights) and yes I did it with the right connectors LOL. NO twisted wires and electrical tape;)
look good! I'll post up some pics as soon as I get the fogs all wired up!

NikonKiem 02-22-2011 02:49 PM

Well 2 blown fuses 2 tail lights $120 bucks in labor and now all I can do is hang my head in shame =(. Expensive ass lesson.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-22-2011 05:05 PM

it is your jeeps way of saying "please do not use these ebay lights" LOL

lll2for3lll 02-22-2011 05:08 PM

^^^ lol.