Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   2011+ Dodge Durango-WD (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/)
-   -   Should the 2011 Durango have been developed/marketed as a "Grand Cherokee XL" ? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f177/should-the-2011-durango-have-been-developed-marketed-as-a-grand-cherokee-xl-19267.html)

vikingdave 02-22-2011 06:11 PM

Should the 2011 Durango have been developed/marketed as a "Grand Cherokee XL" ?

When I was shopping around for my 2011 Grand Cherokee I spent some time looking at the 2011 Durango.

It shares a great deal with the WK2, but to me the biggest barrier to success for the new Durango will almost certainly be the "Durango" name, most people just associate with the unpopular Durango from the past, also my personal opinion is that the Grand Cherokee puts it to shame as far as looks go.

I can't help but think that Chrysler could have greatly benefited from keeping the Grand Cherokee looks inside and out, utilizing more common interior components, and just coming out with a second Grand Cherokee model that had a third row seat and was a little longer.

Do you think they would sell more total SUVs if they had marketed the new Durango as something like a "Grand Cherokee XL", and leveraged the positive name recognition of the Grand Cherokee ?

White Chocolate 02-22-2011 06:12 PM

Re: Should the 2011 Durango have been developed/marketed as a "Grand Cherokee XL" ?

No?

Dodge has a line of large SUV's, which is durango. Jeep has their large SUV.

I don't see why Jeep would need another.

Repo503 02-22-2011 06:14 PM

Re: Should the 2011 Durango have been developed/marketed as a "Grand Cherokee XL" ?

Jeep is getting one anyway...Grand Wagoneer.

J13ntv 02-22-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Repo503 (Post 361892)
Jeep is getting one anyway...Grand Wagoneer.

Bringing back the grand wagoneer, rly.. An old woody? hehe Any pics yet?

GTOGreg 02-22-2011 10:48 PM

Yes, I have heard from reputable sources that they are bringing back the Grand Wagoneer in 2013 based on the Durango platform. Will be a 7-seater. Glad I will only have a year on my lease at that point - that's a rig I will buy. The only competition for me with my WK2 purchase was an '87 Wagoneer. Glad of course I got a new one but I would I like that old style wagon look.

JeepeeJ 02-22-2011 11:03 PM

Jeep should stick to Jeeps and wagons. Dodge should stick to pick-ups, cars and vans. And Chrysler? Well, maybe just some of their cars and vans.

Chrysler needs to focus on models that sell and not duplicate their efforts. It's going to get worse as Fiat starts dumping their models to the lineup. Who's going to pick up your extended warranties when they go under for good?

Knightrider03m 02-22-2011 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J13ntv (Post 362162)
Bringing back the grand wagoneer, rly.. An old woody? hehe Any pics yet?

Pics? Don't need them. Just look at your WK, then look at the side of the Durango then mash the two together :eek:

The Grand Wagoneer is going to be a huge flop. But it maybe my next used car when people get f'ed on the resale :lol:

B.P.O.D 02-22-2011 11:56 PM

i saw the new durango last weekend in the poconos next to a wk2 at the entrance to the community i live in. the durango looks badass! sits lower than the wk2 as well!!!

Scottina06 02-23-2011 12:03 AM

the durango is ok except for that god aweful c pillar.....

MasterWK 02-23-2011 12:14 AM

^Agreed... Only a Jeep can be a Jeep, therefore a Dodge cannot be a Jeep!!! Dodge should stick to what they know, pickups and grand caravans...

B.P.O.D 02-23-2011 12:17 AM

yeah the c pillar could be better but def a great improvement on the older models

95bravo 09-24-2011 05:29 AM

They should have killed the Durango name and come up with something else. Naming the whole line Citadel or coming up with something new. Bought a Citadel for the wife one week ago, so I could steal her 06 Wk overland. We traded in my 06 commander. Great jeep, but I mine had a 4.7 and was not up to the towing task that I asked of it. http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...9-17073130.jpg http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...epdriveway.jpg