Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Wheels/Tires/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/)
-   -   Brakes - Reviews? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f199/brakes-reviews-19277.html)

TJXJWJ 02-22-2011 08:46 PM

Brakes - Reviews?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for some actual experience using different brakes and what people recommend. I've used and liked EBC, but am also considering Baer rotors and pads. I don't want to do a total system upgrade, just rotors and pads. Looks matter...new wheels are on order.

Also, what materials do you like and why? Ceramic? Organic?

01grand 02-23-2011 06:54 PM

Re: Brakes - Reviews?

I recently put on rebestos advanced technology drilled and slotted rotors that I ordered from rockauto.com for $90 each. I like the look of drilled and/or slotted rotors, and they seem to stop better.

I also put on ceramic pads, in combo with the rotors there is definitely less brake dust on my wheels. I'm not sure how much better they brake compared to a semi-metallic or organic, but I have more than enough stopping power and they are quiet. I went over 3 years on a set of ceramic pads on my old ZJ, and I tend to drive hard.

Well, theres my 2 cents worth... :thumbsup:

TJXJWJ 02-23-2011 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01grand (Post 362858)
I recently put on rebestos advanced technology drilled and slotted rotors that I ordered from rockauto.com for $90 each. I like the look of drilled and/or slotted rotors, and they seem to stop better.

I also put on ceramic pads, in combo with the rotors there is definitely less brake dust on my wheels. I'm not sure how much better they brake compared to a semi-metallic or organic, but I have more than enough stopping power and they are quiet. I went over 3 years on a set of ceramic pads on my old ZJ, and I tend to drive hard.

Well, theres my 2 cents worth... :thumbsup:

How recent is recent? Did your new set up see a lot of salt, snow, etc? I've met a lot of rotors that only need 1 of our types of winters to go wavy.

01grand 02-24-2011 09:48 AM

Haha good question, I guess July isn't really that recent. They have been on for 7 months now and the only way to see more salt than Minnesota roads is to live in a salt mine. Lots of snow this year and all the salt and chemicals to go with it and they are holding up well.

I had a similar set, although not sure which brand on my old ZJ, they were on when I bought the thing and lasted me 3+ years. Being my first vehicle and given my driving habits, I was hard on them.

I replaced the old rotors on my new jeep because they were warped. My dad had a problem warping rotors on his suburban, until he put drilled/slotted rotors on then he never had a problem.

All that said there is nothing wrong with standard rotors either, all depends on how much money you want to spend. I wouldn't say on the jeep that the performance rotors are a spectacular improvement, anything seems amazing compared to the vibrations from warped rotors.