Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Laredo X v. Overland (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/laredo-x-v-overland-19280.html)

gmtaylor3 02-22-2011 08:56 PM

Laredo X v. Overland

I am struggling with the decision between a Laredo-X and an Overland. With the X package, I get almost everything I want. But by the time I add 4wd, Off Road II, and a sunroof, the list price is almost as much as the Overland. I worry that the Overland is not rugged like the basic Laredo, but if I go ahead and juice up the Laredo, I may wind up with a quasi-Overland with a resale value no where near that high. Should I get over my image issue with luxury (who wants a wooden steering wheel? Or worse, a heated steering wheel) and go with the Overland?

Dan828 02-22-2011 09:21 PM

Re: Laredo X v. Overland

How do you figure a Laredo X with options comes close to the price of an Overland. I have a Laredo X 4x4 with panoramic sunroof, no Off Road II package though and I paid $36,200. I thought like you did, it had everything I wanted and nothing I didn't need or wanted to pay for. I will say though if your concerned about ruggedness, even for it's extra luxury, the Overland is as rugged as the Laredo X. Don't let that idea pursued your decision.

JTS97Z28 02-22-2011 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmtaylor3 (Post 362050)
(who wants a wooden steering wheel? Or worse, a heated steering wheel) and go with the Overland?

Ummm like 90% of the other people on this forum:confused: Unless you live in Hawaii or something why would you NOT want a heated steering wheel?!?! weeird

Chi-One 02-22-2011 09:39 PM

There's no comparison between these two. A better comparison is the X vs LTD. A well optioned v8 X and a v8 LTD are less than $1000 apart. I know, I worked the numbers on both.;)

pbm317 02-23-2011 12:15 AM

There's lots of price overlap with the trim lines in the Grand Cherokee. I too am semi torn between a Laredo with Off Road II, etc vs an Overland

GTOGreg 02-23-2011 12:52 AM

Love my L-X. Wouldn't want anything else on it and I don't need a sunroof (nor does my wife). You get some more chrome stuff on the up models, but not for me. Great value in our eyes. PERFECTLY happy with the L-X, though I did option it with the V-8, tow, and off-road I. YMMV.

BTW, no offense to those who upgraded. I like the stuff just didn't see the need to pay for it.

seanster 02-23-2011 04:00 AM

Seriously, if you can afford the Overland, realistically, then do it. You can buy one with everything you want and be done. No box-ticking, waiting or lot-hunting for the perfect Laredo.

BTW, depending on your climate, having a heated steering wheel is like having heated seats. You'll never buy a car without either. My Touareg has one and I use it all the time.

Aside from resale value, the xenons alone are worth it.

Good luck!

the1jake 02-23-2011 10:14 AM

Want to know how many of us would trade our heated, wooden steering wheels or panoramic sunroofs? (I'm still trying to find anyone that doesn't love these two features on our vehicles)

Speaking for myself, I didn't think I needed a heated steering wheel, but I find myself using it constantly here in the Winter months.

And the panoramic sunroof? Nothing short of AWESOME.

SixZeroFour 02-23-2011 10:47 AM

I went the loaded up Laredo X route and have no regrets whatsoever. Personally I could not stand the woodgrain trim or cheap plastic feeling of the "upgrade" steering wheel. Feels like you are holding a plastic coke can while you are driving.

one11sgt 02-23-2011 12:56 PM

I went with the limited over the overland because I hate the wooden steering wheel. If I could have gotten an overland with a leather wheel I would have. JMO.

rybocf 02-23-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one11sgt (Post 362549)
I went with the limited over the overland because I hate the wooden steering wheel. If I could have gotten an overland with a leather wheel I would have. JMO.

+1, can't stand wooden steering wheels...love everything else, so I got a loaded Limited (better negotiating power and selection too)

-Ryan

JoeSchmoe007 02-23-2011 02:42 PM

I have Laredo X V6 4x4 QT I. Only other options are 430N Nav and towing package.

This is why it made sense for me:

didn't want/need Quadralift
didn't want/need moonroof
will not do any offroading
don't care about any options specific to Limited or Overland