Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   water leak (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/water-leak-19373.html)

1_\/\_WK 02-24-2011 02:40 PM

water leak

So I got into my WK yesterday and noticed a decent size water puddle in the passenger floor board. I can see were drops are running down the plastic by were your right foot would be. I did have some ice dams on my truck from a freeze over the night before. Anyone had this problem before? My weather strip around my wind shield looks normal and crack free.

jeff05wk 02-24-2011 10:02 PM

Re: water leak

I had an issue with water leaking down from the little screw cover on the "Oh Crap!" handle in between the passenger window and the windshield. Might be something to look at.

Yes, I know my terminology ("little screw cover thing" and "Oh Crap! handle") are very professional, and precise.

SvenskaJeepGuy 02-25-2011 12:39 AM

do you have a moonroof?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk_2305004.pdf

1_\/\_WK 02-25-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff05wk (Post 363831)
I had an issue with water leaking down from the little screw cover on the "Oh Crap!" handle in between the passenger window and the windshield. Might be something to look at.

Yes, I know my terminology ("little screw cover thing" and "Oh Crap! handle") are very professional, and precise.

Ha, no worries. I like descriptive terminology. ha

1_\/\_WK 02-25-2011 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 364074)

Yea i have a sun roof. The water is getting in by were your feet would be on the passenger side. You think the water would travel that far?

2005JGC 02-25-2011 05:43 PM

check to makesure your sunroof is flush with the roof?

From there, open the sunroof and pour small amounts of water down your DRAIN CHANNEL I use a plastic dealer plate to make sure that is the only channel I get water in, but anything flat would work. I emphasize drain channel because there are a couple channels and if you pour it down the sunroof track it will just dump out the front or back on the headliner causing a much bigger mess. the front drains drain infront of the front doors, behind the wheels. The back drains drain infront of the rear wheels behind the back doors. If you find one specifically that is plugged try to blow it out with compressed air... IF its a rear one plugged which is quite likely as they are very common there is not simple repair. The rear of the vehicle must be dissassembled and a new draintube run to the back of the rear wheel wells. Furthermore if it wasnt for my 90 degree pneumatic drill and a 3/4" stepper bit it would be nearly impossible to drill the new hole as the part number for the new drain tube has an oval gromet. I punch through to the full 3/4"then just push one direction to hog it out oval and it works perfect for me.

The problem is the rear drain tubes are run then the cavity is filled with expanding foam in the factory, that foam pinches off the back hoses. If you do it once it will take you a while but from there you can start charging anyone you know and it will take you no time. I can have one of those knocked out in 1-1.5 hrs, from verifying the plugged drain and which side even though if its one rear drain I ALWAYS sell both, to cleaning up my finger prints following the repair.

Also common wk problems are pinched front draintubes by the "o-crap handle" and the visor.

And if your wondering how a rear drain would cause a leak up front, there is a couple reasons, 1st of all the drain tubes are only designed to relieve so much water, if they are overwhelmed (like one is sleeping on the job) it can backup and overflow, furthermore I believe there is a hot glue strip in the headliner that channels water from the rear down to that A pillar. Also If a rear is plugged and fills up with water, when the vehicle is driven and tips down the front drain is overwhelmed and it overflows over the top.

BTW, I agree a puddle on the passanger floor board is not a super common issue with the draintubes that I have seen, but the A pillar trim does funnel water right down the side of the rig and I believe it would end up, unobstructed, on the floorboard... pop the a pillar trim off and see if there is water in it... it has a bit of a waffle texture for rigidity and the pockets catch water, so careful just ripping on it after the 2 10mm bolts are removed, you may get wet.... If its dry its probably a good time to look elsewhere.

1_\/\_WK 02-25-2011 11:41 PM

wow. thanks, i will be sure to check this out.

OBXJeep 09-22-2011 07:34 PM

I just recently had the a pillar problem pop up during Irene but than didn't happen again til today. It's been on and off raining for the past couple days so I assume my draining tubes/channels are clogged (hate when that happens). Just worked my only day off this week so I'm gonna have to wake up at a decent hour to try before work
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk