Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/)
-   -   Speaker Brand Suggestions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f50/speaker-brand-suggestions-19391.html)

soontobesrt 02-24-2011 07:44 PM

Speaker Brand Suggestions

Hey guys, not too sure if this has been brought up, at least not specifically this.

Anyway, finally tossing my 6x9" Infinity Kappa co-axials in my front doors in search of a nicer setup as far as SQ goes. Anyway, running about 80 watts to each door off a JL G4500 series amp and probably another 10watts/channel from my Eclipse deck so roughly 90 watts RMS you could say. That said Im looking at a large array of 6.5" component system and Id like to go with a 2 way system but will fancy any 3 ways if anyone could justify why its nearly as good as the traditional 2 ways :)

Options so far are:

JL C5 - 650s
Focal Polyglass 165 VBs
Image Dynamics CXS - 62s (the chameleons)
Rockford Fosgate T2652s
Alpine SPX 17 - PRO series
DLS UP6is
Hertz Hi-Energy HSK 165s
Polk SR 6500s

PLEASE post any input if anyone has heard ANY of these or has preferences, would like some advice. Searched some other forums but still havent seen much info on any of these, thanks!

JRsmoothee 02-24-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Speaker Brand Suggestions

so your running power from your amp and your deck to a set of speakers????? if so thats a big NO NO

as far as speaker choices Hertz or Focal would be my choice

draft6969 02-25-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRsmoothee (Post 363751)
so your running power from your amp and your deck to a set of speakers????? if so thats a big NO NO

as far as speaker choices Hertz or Focal would be my choice

thats what i was wondering? you cant calculate deck power with amplifier power.

soontobesrt 02-25-2011 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draft6969 (Post 364230)
thats what i was wondering? you cant calculate deck power with amplifier power.

I mean im not sure exactly what you guys mean, its wired pretty straight up with a 4ch amp and the headunit has its own output but im assuming you guys are saying I can't add power like that? Anyone care to break it down then for me, not huge audio/electrical guru but would like to be one day lol

draft6969 02-25-2011 03:27 PM

Well if you have your door speakers hooked up to your amp, and it puts out 80 watts per channel, and your deck puts out 10 watts per channel you cant add the two. if your amp is hooked up with the rca's out the back of the deck then they only get the amp power. the only way you can use the deck power is if you hook the speakers to the deck only with no amp.
anyway are you going to get rid of the 3.5" dash speakers also? i guess you are going to put the 6.5 in the door and the tweeter in the dash? by the way i love my 6x9 and 3.5" kappas.

soontobesrt 02-25-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by draft6969 (Post 364527)
Well if you have your door speakers hooked up to your amp, and it puts out 80 watts per channel, and your deck puts out 10 watts per channel you cant add the two. if your amp is hooked up with the rca's out the back of the deck then they only get the amp power. the only way you can use the deck power is if you hook the speakers to the deck only with no amp.
anyway are you going to get rid of the 3.5" dash speakers also? i guess you are going to put the 6.5 in the door and the tweeter in the dash? by the way i love my 6x9 and 3.5" kappas.

Yeah, I figured thats what you guys were talking about, but I was under the impression that the my headunit was able to send the power out into each channel as well as the amp, not too sure how I thought this occurred but yea, 80 watts/channel it is haha which imo is plenty but to each their own.

I do like my 3.5 kappas up front as well, but I dislike my coaxs in the door and hear a sweet set of the Hertz 165 components with the tweeter custom mounted in the top of the door panel and they sounded sick. Imaging was nice, power was good (guy was running 100 watts) so little louder but all in all way nicer than what I have. Im also going to install some dynamatt in all the doors around the speakers so hopefully that helps a little with vibrations etc. Thats my main issue now, but I have to say the 6x9 3 ways really dont have much bass and the mid/highs are horrible, not sure if their semi-blown out or what but my front doors are just bad. Cant wait for some 6.5" in there.

draft6969 02-25-2011 06:26 PM

Ahhh gotcha. well now that that's settled yea you have plenty of wattage to push any of thoes you have listed, but if i had to pick any of them it would be the focals. they are some wonderfull speakers in my opinion, but all the ones you are looking at are real good speakers. im sure you will be happy with any of them.

remmy 02-26-2011 01:57 AM

Judging by what you are talking about and seem to be looking for and what you have at hand, Ill suggest this:

Go get yourself some beefy woofers. Go to partsexpress.com and grab yourself either some Morel, Dynaudio, Tang Band, or even Dayton Audio 6 1/2" woofers. Get some 6x9 plate adapters too. Adjust your amp to run low pass and turn the phase down to 2000hz and leave the bass boost off. Also, grab some sound deadening to line the backside metal of your exterior doors and line it good. Sync the volume of the Eclipse deck (my fav brand for decks btw) powering the dash speakers with the amped door woofers and Im fairly confident youll achieve some great results. Throwing coaxial tweeters and money with big branded items arent going to help you in this scenario. Take my advice, its free... no refunds. If you do have the money, check out what my build is like and what I am using. You are totally welcome to copy it and ask me questions.

remmy 02-26-2011 01:59 AM

If and when you decide to do what I said, post links to the certain drivers you are looking at so we can have a looksie as well.

remmy 02-26-2011 02:08 AM

Also... ive been drinking and any typos or mis typing including double typing ... sorry.

draft6969 02-26-2011 07:47 AM

Ok Kid's what have we learned? dont drink and type:D
whats funny is when my buddy is drunk and starts texting me and everyone else, then we read what he wrote and it would be pretty much nonsense. anyway back to your thread, let us know what you decied on

soontobesrt 03-01-2011 08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys and remmy if your a guy (which I always assume first of care threads but a lady in a Jeep is great by any means haha)

ANYWAY, yeah, I may look into what Remmy said but I think some comps are the way to go, not sure if when you said 6.5" woofers you meant that or just a co-ax again and run my 3.5s?

I really would like to just eliminate the 3.5" speakers so Ill probably just pull those fuses and call it a day running a simple 4 door setup with co-axs in back and comps up front. Right now all in all my system is good for sure, no slacker by any means but the SQ isnt there and SPL is also lacking in some regards so Im holding deadening the doors and relocating the tweet may help with all these noise issue im having haha.

I know sound/audio is very complicated and technical when it comes down to it but Im trying not to over think it and stick with what I know works and also what seems to be good by popular demand I mean only so many people can be ignorant right? haha who knows, anyway probably going to go with the Hertz or Focal pending what I can get them for. Keep you guys posted!