Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Horn Problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/horn-problem-19417.html)

one11sgt 02-25-2011 03:01 AM

Horn Problem

My horn stops working if I use it to much at one time. After about 30secs it will work again. My guess is a bad relay. Anyone else experiencing this or have another diagnoses?
And before the questions about why I'm using it so much start.....I drive in New York City.....lol

2011RitterGC 02-25-2011 07:58 AM

Re: Horn Problem

NYC, that explains it.

franco1961 02-25-2011 08:44 AM

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EP....
May be there is some protection to avoid horn damage?

2011overland 02-25-2011 08:50 AM

Maybe there are too many accidents on the cross island parkway on the way to work. How long is too long? I've used the horn here and there but never laid on it yet.

pbalias 02-25-2011 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011RitterGC (Post 364150)
NYC, that explains it.

^^^ hahahahaha! It's a $250 fine to honk in the city now!

2011overland 02-25-2011 08:58 AM

I don't think someone with a handle of one11sgt has to worry about getting tagged....

pbalias 02-25-2011 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2011overland (Post 364185)
I don't think someone with a handle of one11sgt has to worry about getting tagged....

hahah...TRUE

one11sgt 02-25-2011 02:23 PM

lol thanks everyone. Now just to test it, if I hold it in for about 2 bursts of 10 seconds each....that when it stops working for a bit. I doubt its protection if no one else has experienced it. I think its a bad relay. Gonna have the dealer check it out.

Relwarc 02-25-2011 02:38 PM

10 sec at a time? wow dude thats douchebag behavior... i NEVER use my horn... what coulod POSSIBLY make you need to blow your horn for 10 sec at a time. that's just completely gratuitous.

bpmcgee 02-25-2011 03:25 PM

One11sgt -- what everyone is so helpfully pointing out is that it's not a bad relay -- it's that you're a douchebag. On second thought I guess that's not really helpful so much as useless.

Personally, I think you're probably right about heat protection. Let us know what the dealer says!

B

Relwarc 02-25-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpmcgee (Post 364526)
One11sgt -- what everyone is so helpfully pointing out is that it's not a bad relay -- it's that you're a douchebag. On second thought I guess that's not really helpful so much as useless.

Personally, I think you're probably right about heat protection. Let us know what the dealer says!

B

thats what i typed at first, then i thought i was being a jerk and said behavior...

honestly, i dont think the horn is meant to go for that long, i mean, the alarm does it in intervals too... something tells me the horn has a certain sized "load" and once it blows its wadd, it has to build it up.

honestly it comes down to you should use it less... maybe stop giving us jeep people a bad name. :rolleyes:

one11sgt 02-25-2011 05:31 PM

I was looking for help, not insults. Thanks to those who took me seriously, screw you to those who feel the need to be insulting.
I don't sit here and make nasty comments about all the frivolous nonsense people complain about, like what radio software they have, why their door handles don't light up or whether 89 or 91 gas is better. So I don't expect people to to insult me.
Come drive in NYC and then tell me you dont need a working horn, not cause people wont go fast enough for you, but because people drive very dangerously and think nothing of cutting unsafely in front of you or switching lanes without checking blind spots. Please come try it for yourself.