Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and more! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/attention-wk2-3-6l-owners-new-tsb-for-shudder-harsh-shifts-performance-and-more-19418.html)

Milous 02-25-2011 03:53 AM

Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and more!

***** 2011 WK2 vehicles with 3.6L V6 engine built before December 20, 2010 *****

A new TSB is being issued today that addresses the following issues:

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

1. Engagement shudder when transmission is shifted into DRIVE or REVERSE immediately after the vehicle is starting.

2. A slight tapping sound is heard from under the hood. This could also be described as a rattle or clicking sound also. This condition can be heard when the ignition key is turned to accessory or start or right after ignition key has been turned off.

3. At a light throttle tip in (2 to 6%) the RPM may oscillate slightly (+/- 200 rpm). If the throttle tip in is increased then the issue is not present.

4. Lacks Performance. Some driving conditions can produce circumstances where excessive pedal effort is required to get the Powertrain to accelerate the vehicle as desired.

5. Customer describes a ”Loss of Power" event due to transmission going to Neutral during a heavy throttle 4-3 downshift. This may happen when driving at moderate speed, 35 to 70 MPH (56 to 112 KPH) when the driver accelerates with pedal input from 40-100% triggering a 4-3 downshift.

6. Lack of performance feeling during low vehicle speed turning or cornering maneuvers.

7. Harsh 3-4-3 change mind shift.

8. Noticeable higher engine RPM during low speed driving.

9. More pedal effort to maintain speed while towing trailer during HOT ambient conditions of greater than 100° F (37° C).

10. Poor shift quality when using autostick (-) lever to initiate a transmission down shift.

Overall Improved shift quality. TCM calibrations were changed to deliver optimal shift quality during all driving conditions.

-----------------------------

PDF copy of the above bulletin and other new TSB's: WK2Jeeps.com - Technical Service Bulletins

--Milous

Angel 02-25-2011 10:39 AM

Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

I guess you are referring to TSB 18-012-11?

Milous 02-25-2011 01:13 PM

Re: Attention WK2 3.6L owners - New TSB for Shudder, harsh shifts, performance and mo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel (Post 364260)
I guess you are referring to TSB 18-012-11?

Yes...

plynn7 02-26-2011 01:14 PM

I had the update done on Monday, the dealer called it a RRT ticket and not a TSB, but in any case it was the same update. After the update I did notice that the dead spot in excelaration, that I had been getting, has been eliminated. Shifts are much more smoother and quicker with no more lag and overall the Jeep seems much quicker off the line.:)

RageOfFury 02-26-2011 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plynn7 (Post 365013)
I had the update done on Monday, the dealer called it a RRT ticket and not a TSB, but in any case it was the same update. After the update I did notice that the dead spot in excelaration, that I had been getting, has been eliminated. Shifts are much more smoother and quicker with no more lag and overall the Jeep seems much quicker off the line.:)

It wasn't the same update as it was just related this past Thursday. What you had done on Monday was likely the ESC module software update.

This new update, released on Feb 24th, regards the PCM and TCM modules.

I spoke with my dealer on Friday afternoon and this new update wasn't in their system yet, nor was the HVAC update.

plynn7 02-26-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RageOfFury (Post 365018)
It wasn't the same update as it was just related this past Thursday. What you had done on Monday was likely the ESC module software update.

This new update, released on Feb 24th, regards the PCM and TCM modules.

I spoke with my dealer on Friday afternoon and this new update wasn't in their system yet, nor was the HVAC update.

You are correct, I had the 18-001-11 update done, which is the ESC. The update I had done, did improve the performance, so maybe this new update that just came out, will make it even better.

DieselvRR 03-01-2011 03:42 PM

I tried to get the TSB addressed today but they keep telling me this doesnt apply to my vehicle and Chrysler is working on a fix for the 3.6 hesitation. I gave my service manager the TSB number and said she talked to STARS Chrysler engineers and their reply is the fix is coming but not ready yet. I have a 3.6 built before Dec 20th, I am guessing they wont apply the TSB due to no codes being set?

SixZeroFour 03-01-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselvRR (Post 367036)
I tried to get the TSB addressed today but they keep telling me this doesnt apply to my vehicle and Chrysler is working on a fix for the 3.6 hesitation. I gave my service manager the TSB number and said she talked to STARS Chrysler engineers and their reply is the fix is coming but not ready yet. I have a 3.6 built before Dec 20th, I am guessing they wont apply the TSB due to no codes being set?

You should print the TSB off and bring it with you when you go to the dealer.

http://www.wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_1801211.pdf

It does note that it only applies to vehicles built prior to Dec 20th 2010. Was your GC just delivered? Perhaps it came pre-loaded on yours although it seems strange that they would impliment the changes at the factory and then wait an additional 2 months before releasing it to everyone else.

DieselvRR 03-01-2011 06:32 PM

So I went to pick up my car with TSB in hand. My build date was Dec 10th and they said it had the latest updates already installed....She did say the engineers are working on another update that is suppose to address hesitation.

Milous 03-01-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselvRR (Post 367127)
So I went to pick up my car with TSB in hand. My build date was Dec 10th and they said it had the latest updates already installed....She did say the engineers are working on another update that is suppose to address hesitation.

Did they actually hook it up to the computer, or did they just tell you that you had the latest updates?

DieselvRR 03-01-2011 07:29 PM

They hooked it up to the computer

Remleym 03-09-2011 12:55 PM

Just had my first oil change and I took along printed copies of this TSB and the earlier ESC TSB. At first the service department rep said there were no recalls and nothing to update for my vehicle but then I told him that my Jeep suffered from throttle hesitation and poor shifting and he agreed to have the technician do the updates for me. Sure glad I took the printed info along - with the key sentences highlighted in yellow highlighter - to show them the exact words. Just got home from the service appointment and all I can say is - what a difference in performance! In only a few miles I can already tell that this is like having an entirely different - and certainly much better - vehicle.