Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Yakima or Thule Ski/Snowboard rack work for fishing poles? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/yakima-or-thule-ski-snowboard-rack-work-for-fishing-poles-19428.html)

ksojeep 02-25-2011 11:30 AM

Yakima or Thule Ski/Snowboard rack work for fishing poles?

Getting rid of my truck once my GC arrives and looking for a better solution to fishing poles than throwing them in the back...especially since I will have 3 boys in the backseat. Was looking at some pics of the snowboard racks a few of you had and wondered if you thought they would do well holding fishing poles. Would it hold them secure enough?

If not does anyone have any getter ideas? We have a some land about 50 miles from home with some great stock ponds so my boys like to go 4 wheeling and fishing at least once a month.

Thanks

CrazyJ 02-25-2011 11:45 AM

Re: Yakima or Thule Ski/Snowboard rack work for fishing poles?

Yeah I used to use a Yakima "button down 6" to carry my fishing poles. Worked great.

B.P.O.D 02-25-2011 11:54 AM

i have the thule ski/snowboard rack and that fits 6 skis or 4 boards and that works great as well!

Cperez 02-25-2011 02:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I am easily distracted on this fine Friday afternoon. I went out to test the Yakima FatCat 6 as a rod transport solution and took some pics. Overkill is the word that comes to mind as there are certainly less expensive rooftop rod carrier solutions, but it'll get 'er done for you no doubt about it.

The Yak FC6 is ~$200+ retail and also requires some sort of rails; Mopar unit is ~$225. I think I've seen magnetic rooftop rod transport options that work well if security is not a major concern.

Tight lines! Nothing better than fishing with the cubs.

J13ntv 02-25-2011 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 364485)
I am easily distracted on this fine Friday afternoon. I went out to test the Yakima FatCat 6 as a rod transport solution and took some pics. Overkill is the word that comes to mind as there are certainly less expensive rooftop rod carrier solutions, but it'll get 'er done for you no doubt about it.

The Yak FC6 is ~$200+ retail and also requires some sort of rails; Mopar unit is ~$225. I think I've seen magnetic rooftop rod transport options that work well if security is not a major concern.

+ rep thanks for testing it out for the members.

ksojeep 02-25-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cperez (Post 364485)

YOU ARE DA MAN. Thank you for being easily distracted and for the pics. Problem solved once my GC arrives. Thanks again.

Cperez 02-25-2011 04:38 PM

You guys got me curious about this topic so I started looking around for other options since I don't plan to leave the Yak ski carrier system in place year-round.

Looks like Thule used to make the 885 "Castaway" system for this express purpose, but it's been d/c. Still, maybe available on eBay or Craigslist?

Next challenge, find some time to actually GO fishing...

B.P.O.D 02-25-2011 05:25 PM

have you seen the rod hanger for inside your truck???? holds 6 rods and hangs from the handle bars in the back! buddy has it in his jeep and works great! think he got his from cabela's or bass pro

the1jake 02-25-2011 05:31 PM

What's wrong with something like this?

http://www.ultimaterodholders.com/wp...6rod_pvc-2.jpg

Brought to you by "ultimate rod holders"

netcoolery 02-25-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the1jake (Post 364612)
What's wrong with something like this?

http://www.ultimaterodholders.com/wp...6rod_pvc-2.jpg

Brought to you by "ultimate rod holders"

Looks like it was designed by the Blue Man Group :lol:

MasterWK 02-25-2011 06:33 PM

Personally, I've always been a larger fan Thule products over Yakima. I think they look and function better for longer.