Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/adaptive-cruise-useless-radar-detector-19457.html)

kaflyboy 02-25-2011 10:13 PM

Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Will the adaptive cruise make my radar detector useless? Also, for those who are using their adaptive cruise, how do you like it?

08Hemi 02-25-2011 10:19 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
que? If you set your cruise to 85 and there are no cars on the road, your radar is useful. If you have the cruise on, are speeding and if traffic, might want to change the driving style as I do not see the need to speed and have cruise control on in traffic...just my 0.02

BHHJEEP 02-25-2011 10:31 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
I am not a fan of this system. Anything that promotes that it is ok to not pay attention is only going to cause more accidents.

In my mind all this does is give you a false sense of security.

kaflyboy 02-25-2011 11:12 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
I guess i should be more specific. if you are driving with your adaptive cruise control on, and, have a radar detector, will the technology that is providing the information for the adaptive cruise make the radar detector go off all of the time?

BHHJEEP 02-25-2011 11:29 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
I can't answer your question, but it is pretty funny that you seem more concerned with breaking the law than the proper function of your "Safety" feature. :P

MasterWK 02-25-2011 11:51 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
You should try it out, and then report back to us! :thumbsup:

The radar for the adaptive cruise should always be on when the cruise is on, so when your cruise is on that might be an issue with the detector. However, I am not sure what band of radar the the cruise system uses... You should check it out and let us know.

one11sgt 02-25-2011 11:58 PM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Radar detectors are useless nowadays. Law enforcement use laser for speed enforcement. It they are still using radar, they are using moving radar. Meaning they dont need to be still, they can drive in front or behind you, toward or away from you and still detect your speed.

kaflyboy 02-26-2011 12:04 AM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Guys- i'm more concerned with the radar detector vs. how it reacts to the adaptive cruise vs. opinions on my driving.
i dont have my Summit yet so i dont have a way to test yet, but, i'll report back.

rdalcanto 02-26-2011 12:04 AM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BHHJEEP (Post 364798)
I am not a fan of this system. Anything that promotes that it is ok to not pay attention is only going to cause more accidents.

In my mind all this does is give you a false sense of security.

Have you used it? I can assure you it makes it less likely that I will be in an accident. The reality is we all drive tired, we all get distracted by the radio, or something else, on occasion. Having a system that will hit the brakes for you if the car in front slows down in the second or two that you are looking elsewhere is a good thing.

GR33N D3M0N 02-26-2011 12:16 AM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
i'm not 100% positive, but i think the ACC uses a signal around 24GHz, so if your radar detector's range goes that high maybe, but then again, im not 100%...good luck!

LiquidOxygen 02-26-2011 12:29 AM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalcanto (Post 364840)
Have you used it? I can assure you it makes it less likely that I will be in an accident. The reality is we all drive tired, we all get distracted by the radio, or something else, on occasion. Having a system that will hit the brakes for you if the car in front slows down in the second or two that you are looking elsewhere is a good thing.


X2. Also knowing for sure that there is a vehicle in my blindspot before I shoulder check is a wonderful thing.

MasterWK 02-26-2011 12:46 AM

Re: Adaptive Cruise = Useless Radar Detector?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by one11sgt (Post 364836)
Radar detectors are useless nowadays. Law enforcement use laser for speed enforcement. It they are still using radar, they are using moving radar. Meaning they dont need to be still, they can drive in front or behind you, toward or away from you and still detect your speed.

Most detectors are able to detect lasers. Also, the detector will still go off from moving radar. Radar is radar, and detectors detect it no matter what.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10150091-48.html

This source says no, but it wasn't tested on a Jeep.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community